Verizon LG G2 - Great Phone - Two Issues

Darzog

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I too get that strange loop where knock on doesn't work so I push the power button and then the screen turns off half a second later. It is annoying, however its not an issue for me anymore.

Thanks to other posts that I found a while ago, I was able to learn how the knock knock feature works and now it works 100% of the time. There are 2 tricks that have made it work like this.

1) When you do the knock knock, hold the 2nd knock for about half a second (only when turning the phone on).
2) There is a sensor between the front camera and the LED light. If that is covered, knock knock will not function. If it was covered, it takes the phone a second or so to register it is no longer obstructed and knock knock will function.

I am using the Verizon version but I believe this applies to other carriers as well.

edit - I am able to knock on any part of the screen and have it work.

Mangos526

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Always had the 80% knock-on issue with my G2 but yesterday all of a sudden It no longer works at all. Tried restarting, turning the feature off and then back on again, and nothing. It just wont turn on via the knock knock feature anymore. It WILL however knock OFF just fine. It is only the knock ON that is affected. This is driving me INSANE!

At the same time I also started having difficulties manually dragging down my notifications bar. It comes down just a bit then snaps back up instead of following my finger down. Now I find the only way I can successfully manually drag my notifications bar down is by slowly and carefully dragging from directly in the center of the bar. Prior to this, I could drag quickly and sloppily from anywhere on the notification bar on the first try with no problem whatsoever. Now it usually takes me a few tries.

Anyone else experiencing screen issues like this, or have any ideas how to remedy it??? Thanks!

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I found that knocking at the top, where the notification bar is, works 95% of the time. I have a D802 so that might make a difference?? oh and I am not using a case

When using knock on, you have to double tap directly in the center of the screen. If you tap too high or too low it doesn't work properly.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dillon Kehrwald

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Always had the 80% knock-on issue with my G2 but yesterday all of a sudden It no longer works at all. Tried restarting, turning the feature off and then back on again, and nothing. It just wont turn on via the knock knock feature anymore. It WILL however knock OFF just fine. It is only the knock ON that is affected. This is driving me INSANE!

At the same time I also started having difficulties manually dragging down my notifications bar. It comes down just a bit then snaps back up instead of following my finger down. Now I find the only way I can successfully manually drag my notifications bar down is by slowly and carefully dragging from directly in the center of the bar. Prior to this, I could drag quickly and sloppily from anywhere on the notification bar on the first try with no problem whatsoever. Now it usually takes me a few tries.

Anyone else experiencing screen issues like this, or have any ideas how to remedy it??? Thanks!

having the same issue, just started 11/16/13
still haven't found a remedy and have tried all the same things you have.

any help on this would be great

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me that the Verizon version of the G2 has the knocking issues. I don't see nearly as many people complaining about it (if at all) on other carrier threads. Or so i think.

The knocking feature uses the accelerometer of the device to detect the touch. With this in mind, i tap lightly but firmly on the top or bottom sides of the screen in order to get the accelerometer going. Knock on and off works for me about 95% of the time. Using a sprint version of the device.

Posted via Android Central App

jj69chev

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having issues with the knock on feature. Working only about 50% of the time.

I also have issue with a screen lock loop. If I try to knock-on the phone and it doesn't work, I'll try again and it doesn't work, so I push the power button. The lock screen shows up for about a second, then screen goes black. I push the power button on again and it shows for about a second and the screen goes black. Sometimes I need to do this 10-15 times or more before I can actually unlock the phone. VERY ANNOYING!!:mad: Especially when trying to pull out the phone quickly to take a picture before missing the shot. Is anyone else having this issue or should I exchange my phone?

Have this same issue, not only with knock on but also if i use the power button. I have found the only way past the 1 second screen on time is to wipe the top of my phone on a sleeve or something. it then works fine. it seems to me like the proximity sensor is to sensitive and detects even the slightest amount of skin oil on it and after it is wiped, works fine. Love the phone but this issue is VERY frustrating. I have Verizon version, rooted but not ROM'd or skinned

TAPPEDOUT59

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I find it works well most all of the time. First off if not noticed it is not really Knock on. Knocking has nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. Just touching the screen is all it takes, which means needs contact with you skin. If skin is excessively dry, touch screens do not respond as well. I find that two touches with finger tip is all it takes. The more contact the better, such as more of the pad of your fingertip. I have the Verizon version!
Just a thought!

alacrity024

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi y'all

Check out this video:

LG G2 Knock On Sensor - YouTube

It shows the sensor which is responsible for the knock-on feature. I discovered mine was covered by the screen protector, using an x-acto knife to cut it away has resulted in DRAMATICALLY improved knock-on for me.

yes, the screen protector was clear. that seemed to impede the sensor enough to cause a problem bad enough for me to google it.

alacrity024

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
son of a BE#*$YR#FH.

Set the phone down for a moment, picked it up, knocked, nothing. knocked, nothing.

knocked, nothing
knocked, nothing
knocked, nothing

I assume a "factory reset" has no effect on this problem?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi y'all

Check out this video:

LG G2 Knock On Sensor - YouTube

It shows the sensor which is responsible for the knock-on feature. I discovered mine was covered by the screen protector, using an x-acto knife to cut it away has resulted in DRAMATICALLY improved knock-on for me.

yes, the screen protector was clear. that seemed to impede the sensor enough to cause a problem bad enough for me to google it.

That's not the sensor it uses for knock on. That is the proximity sensor, which is why the screen doesn't turn on when its covered.

Knock on uses a combination of the capacitive grid and accelerometer. (You can get it to turn on if you hold your finger on the screen and shake the phone twice too)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

phonghuunguyen

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I figured out the problem, for some reason its can change the knock on tapping speed and pressure.
I have a large finger, before I can knock on and off with a quick 2 taps. Now I can only knock off but not on, for some reason my 9 months old son can knock on all the time when he play with the phone, so I tried to copy him, imagine you are trying to pet an ANTS but very slow 2 tap and very lightly, anywhere on the screen it work, look like he play with my phone and got the phone to register the way he tap to turn it on, its frustrating, I couldn't figure out how to set it back to normal.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I figured out the problem, for some reason its can change the knock on tapping speed and pressure.
I have a large finger, before I can knock on and off with a quick 2 taps. Now I can only knock off but not on, for some reason my 9 months old son can knock on all the time when he play with the phone, so I tried to copy him, imagine you are trying to pet an ANTS but very slow 2 tap and very lightly, anywhere on the screen it work, look like he play with my phone and got the phone to register the way he tap to turn it on, its frustrating, I couldn't figure out how to set it back to normal.

There's no way to change the speed or pressure for knock on, and it can't change on it's own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vageha

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
did you get this to resolve? I'm having the exactly same issue. Knock off works fine, knock on completely not working for the past week. Notification bar glitchy when i try to pull it down.

-thanks!

Vageha

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

did you get this to resolve? I'm having the exactly same issue. Knock off works fine, knock on completely not working for the past week. Notification bar glitchy when i try to pull it down.

Considering just exchanging the phone since I'm still under warranty but don't want the hassle if its a software issue
-thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty