some thoughts about battery life issue

Mingyi Li

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I got LG G2 on 13th Sep and soon suffered the battery life issue. After fully charged to 100%, the second day when I woke up it decreased to like 45% left. But after I restart the problem went away for a while and the standby time could reach 80+ hrs with light use. While sometimes the problem happens again and I have to restart again(excuse me for being such a rookie at Android, never had Android before). I saw many people have this issue and it's much more annoying than any other problems imo. Anyone have solid solution or will LG offer some sort of update to prevent this? Just be curious bc I don't want to spend too much time on the cell phone. I love the big screen.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is something that can trigger a wakelock somewhere in Android System, which a reboot clears up. Since Android System covers so many functions, I haven't been able to nail it down to anything specific. I have my suspicions, but that's it so far.

I will say this though. Since rooting, freezing a bunch of bloatware, and disabling Carrier IQ, I have yet to experience the problem. I had it 3 times in two weeks prior to rooting, which I did this past week. Now I'm just watching and waiting.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

Mingyi Li

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
actually I have ordered 5s but it takes 40 days to ship to at&t. If I can fix the battery life issue I would prefer to keep G2. But I am afraid if I root G2, at&t won't let me exchange or return? BTW I used ios for 4 yrs and before were all Nokia. So I really have no idea how to root or change to original android 4.3 or sth like that. Friend told me that if I am not geek enough to do some diy thing to the android system, it would be better to use ios...

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Co worker has iPhone 5s, said battery life is not so hot. I haven't had any battery issues with my g2. I'm going to have to pay attention

Sent from my LG G2 using Tampatalk.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I normally get over 18 hours a day and 4.5 to 5 screen on hours. love this phone.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
heres the thing with android phones. even if the company thats making the phone put in a great battery itll still drain quite a lot.
android isnt like apple os.. android is more powerful of an os it runs a lot of things in background.
if you want to save more battery at night i suggest you turn wifi and blutooth and data. so your device isnt constantly fetching updates and notifications and what not.
or just completely turn off ur phone.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That sucks dude. I got the phone yesterday and got 6 hours screen time out of the box. Today I'm sitting at 50% after 13 hours of usage and i have 4 hours screen time so far.

LGElectronics

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mingyi,

We've not had any known issues reported concerning this. Certain entities can weigh negatively on the battery life of your phone at different times even. It would depend on apps running while not in use; it can still drain the battery.

If that is not the case, it could be a software issue as suggested. You may want to contact your carrier for troubleshooting this issue to be sure it is not the phone and just software related. ^CL

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mingyi,

We've not had any known issues reported concerning this. Certain entities can weigh negatively on the battery life of your phone at different times even. It would depend on apps running while not in use; it can still drain the battery.

If that is not the case, it could be a software issue as suggested. You may want to contact your carrier for troubleshooting this issue to be sure it is not the phone and just software related. ^CL

LG,

There are a few threads on this forum that address battery life, and the general consensus comes down to some type of software wakelock in the android system. I, for one, have had both excellent and average battery life while doing the same tasks. I have turned off all locations services and kept any app sync to a minimum.

It would be great to hear back from you with more info.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
LG,

There are a few threads on this forum that address battery life, and the general consensus comes down to some type of software wakelock in the android system. I, for one, have had both excellent and average battery life while doing the same tasks. I have turned off all locations services and kept any app sync to a minimum.

It would be great to hear back from you with more info.
i second this. from my experience, it is definitely a software issue. a factory reset does NOT "fix" the problem. i disabled the 'android system' and i'm getting amazing battery life for my usage; typically 50+ hours off charger. my typical usage = wifi on, screen at 45% + auto, email sync every hour. text message/kakaotalk throughout the day, listen to pandora for about 40 min total usually while driving, regularly check kakaostory and do some light web reading. watch some youtube clips. i do not do facebook/twitter.

if LG is really reading these posts, they need to look at their software asap.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
so disabling android system may help battery life? i thought it was almost like stopping sytem32 on a computer. hhmmm, ill try that as soon as i can.

- - - Updated - - -

so disabling android system may help battery life? i thought it was almost like stopping sytem32 on a computer. hhmmm, ill try that as soon as i can.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This is today. After 13 hours. 8 hours at work I barely used It.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381293694118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381293694118.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381293705095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381293705095.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 59
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381293714761.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381293714761.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 59

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, what I notice is that you have a total of 3 hours of screen on time, and although that certainly isn't great, it also indicates that you did use the phone a decent amount, rather than barely using it--unless something was waking the screen up without you knowing it.

The 5 hours of keep awake time from Android OS sounds like some wakelock problem. Have you tried Wakelock Detector to see what component seems to be causing the most wakelocks? I found that Location Reporting is a major culprit, so you could try turning that off.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
3 hour's compared to 5+ on other people's devices. I want to see if I can get 5 hour screen time. Maybe tomorrow since I dont have school in the morning, and I will try wave lock.

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
3 hour's compared to 5+ on other people's devices. I want to see if I can get 5 hour screen time. Maybe tomorrow since I dont have school in the morning, and I will try wave lock.

you need to figure out why you have 5hrs of wake lock, that right there will kill your battery.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This phone has the best battery life of any phone I have used or seen - that includes the Droid MaXXes. On a light to medium day I will consistently have over 50% with 8-10 hours off charger. On a heavy day I can easily get 14 - 16 hours with over 20% still left. If it's battery life you want you can't beat this phone.