LG G2 - Texts defaulting to MMS

Wellydroid

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I recently got a new LG G2 on a visit to Japan. I got the F320 version, that I think was mainly released in Korea (it has a smaller but detachable battery, and a expandable memory slot).

Im coming up against a problem that seems like it should be simple to fix but I cant figure it out, and its driving me crazy! Id love it anyone could help.

When i write a text message that exceeds 160 chars, it automatically converts the message to MMS format. I live in New Zealand, and many people dont have their phones even set up for MMS as they are barely used here. Its weird, because even phones Ive had before smartphones were a thing would automatically stich long text messages together, but the G2 doesnt seem to want to. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :)

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Also the sms client notes that the SMS will be sent as 2 messages if you exceed 160 characters. Are they not receiving any when this occurs?

Posted via Android Central App

Wellydroid

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Venious, thanks for your reply :)

Yeah spot on. an SMS is limited to 160 chars, but if exceeding the number, rather than sending as 2 (or more) SMS messages stiched together, it automaticcaly changes the message type to MMS. When you pass the 160 mark it makes a little ring, and "MMS" appears where the character counter used to be, above the send button.

They are not recieving when this happens, and indeed I havent set up my phone to send MMS too, so it has issues sending. With Viber and other types of applications, MMS is basically never used here, so very few peoples phones are set up to send or recieve, so its quite a big problem for me. I can get around it by sending multiple individual messages, breaking every 160 chars. But this is messy - I really hope there is some kind of solution!

Wellydroid

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
bump?
anybody come across this issue before, or know how to overcome it?

my previous phones have had a text counter that counts down from 160 and it will say something like 160/1. 159/1, 158/1 as you type.. when you go past 160 chars it will go 160/2, 159/2, 158/2 etc etc (meaning you are now sending the message as two SMS messages). My wifes phone does this, but mine will only count down from 160, then revert to MMS :(!

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
bump?
anybody come across this issue before, or know how to overcome it?

my previous phones have had a text counter that counts down from 160 and it will say something like 160/1. 159/1, 158/1 as you type.. when you go past 160 chars it will go 160/2, 159/2, 158/2 etc etc (meaning you are now sending the message as two SMS messages). My wifes phone does this, but mine will only count down from 160, then revert to MMS :(!

Download something like GO SMS and in the settings there's a setting to split it at 160 characters...Or, there used to be...I don't know anymore as I use stock.

Charly Simpson

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I realise this thread was set up a while ago but just in case anyone else comes across it.

Messaging>Settings>Multimedia Message>Creation Mode

Select restricted.

That stops it from converting to MMS and splits it into separate messages instead.

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys! I'm from Brazil and I own the D805 version of the G2 (latin american version).
I happened to have the same problem as Mr.Wellydroid, as MMS in not popular over here either (and where is it, I wonder...)

I just wanted to thank Mr.Charly Simpson's for the solution. Worked perfectly. \o/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non