New phone time! Stuck between Moto x and LG G2.

Philippe Pessotti

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm about to use my upgrade, and I'm stuck between the moto x and the LG G2.
Some things i've noticed.

Moto X:
-nexus like fast updates
-small size fits better in hand
-some different features like active display
-reliable software

LG G2:
-Top of the line specs
-large 1080p screen
-software might be too cluttered
-not on kitkat yet(verizon)

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The big difference for me was battery life and a better camera. Using this for work and taking pictures of my kids most those were key to me.

The updates since 4.2 didn't have any killer features I had to have.

Sent from my LG G2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The size, near AOSP interface (with added features that I actually use), and the awesome support Motorola has shown for the device is what makes me choose the Moto X over the G2 anyday.

dcleveng

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had the G2 for a couple months now have have been very happy with it. I've heard and read some really good things about the Moto X and did consider it before I chose the G2, so I can understand your dilemma.

I can understand why some people want the latest and greatest Android version, but honestly there really isn't much that 4.4 brings to the table that my G2 can't already do with 4.2.2.

One feature I absolutely love with the G2 is the knock-on/knock-off feature. It's innovative and useful. You mentioned "reliable software" under the Moto X, but in my experience the G2 software hasn't been unreliable. Another great feature of the G2 is battery life and the rate in which it charges. I can put it on the charger with 60% battery and come back in less than hour and it's fully charged.

For me in the end, it was the hardware and screen that sealed the deal, which are hard to beat on the G2. Don't get me wrong I think the Moto X is a great phone, in fact...I tried to talk my wife in to getting it, but she ended up going with the G2 as well.

Philippe Pessotti

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had the G2 for a couple months now have have been very happy with it. I've heard and read some really good things about the Moto X and did consider it before I chose the G2, so I can understand your dilemma.

I can understand why some people want the latest and greatest Android version, but honestly there really isn't much that 4.4 brings to the table that my G2 can't already do with 4.2.2.

One feature I absolutely love with the G2 is the knock-on/knock-off feature. It's innovative and useful. You mentioned "reliable software" under the Moto X, but in my experience the G2 software hasn't been unreliable. Another great feature of the G2 is battery life and the rate in which it charges. I can put it on the charger with 60% battery and come back in less than hour and it's fully charged.

For me in the end, it was the hardware and screen that sealed the deal, which are hard to beat on the G2. Don't get me wrong I think the Moto X is a great phone, in fact...I tried to talk my wife in to getting it, but she ended up going with the G2 as well.
and now its even harder than ever cause the moto x is 50 bucks on verizon 2y contract. But those specs and screen make me want the G2 bad. Gonna go check them out in store today.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
and now its even harder than ever cause the moto x is 50 bucks on verizon 2y contract. But those specs and screen make me want the G2 bad. Gonna go check them out in store today.
Actually, it is $25 if you register for the promo code today to get 50% off the on contract price. See the thread on the Moto X forum about the promo - it is $150 off the off contract price and 50% off the on contract price.

https://mdsupport.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/todayshow

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97700/action/auth

registration code = todayshow50

Philippe Pessotti

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was torn between the same two devices.
I chose the G2 because of the much better battery life and the much better camera. I also liked the bigger screen of the G2 but that is subjective.
I have been very happy with my decision.

PS: I have a Nexus 10 with KitKat 4.4.2 and I do not think that it is that big of a deal that the G2 is still on 4.2.2.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Specs aren't everything. Only thing you'll probably notice a difference on is the camera and maybe gaming but otherwise the X performs just as good as any of the other flagships

Posted via Android Central App

Dpsavino

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Love my g2. Ditto on battery and camera but also have grown to love LG UI... Don't think i can live w/o knock on, custom themes on stock, quick memo feature and perfect size for my hands. If kit kat is a must we're expecting to recieve the update within the next couple of months

dealy663

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
It was down to the choice of these 2 phones for me also. However Verizon made it real easy for me. They had a cyber monday sale with the G2 for FREE! I really like the Moto X it is easier to handle, has KitKat and also really cool features.

I've gone back to the store and played with the Moto X a few times after getting the G2, considering if I should exchange the G2 for it. Both times I decided no, I'll keep the G2. It is without a doubt a faster phone than the Moto X. The G2 has killer battery life, on light usage days I've looked at the battery and it is over 85% after being off the charger for 11 hours. That is just amazing. Right now my phone has been off the charger for 8 hours, 40 minutes. For two of those hours I had the GPS receiver on while tracking my bike ride this morning. The battery is currently at 85%.

I like the UI, especially the ability to change themes. Also the screen is definitely superior to the Moto X.

In my opinion the biggest cons of the G2 are that its almost too big and therefore unwieldy at times. And the phone's biggest problem is that the buttons are on the back. I really hate that design choice.

Michaelk0105

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the buttons on the back, I think it's love or hate it myself. I was sceptical at first, but it actually makes a lot of sense. When on the phone, adjusting the volume our ending the call is easier than the normal layout.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
It was down to the choice of these 2 phones for me also. However Verizon made it real easy for me. They had a cyber monday sale with the G2 for FREE! I really like the Moto X it is easier to handle, has KitKat and also really cool features.

I've gone back to the store and played with the Moto X a few times after getting the G2, considering if I should exchange the G2 for it. Both times I decided no, I'll keep the G2. It is without a doubt a faster phone than the Moto X. The G2 has killer battery life, on light usage days I've looked at the battery and it is over 85% after being off the charger for 11 hours. That is just amazing. Right now my phone has been off the charger for 8 hours, 40 minutes. For two of those hours I had the GPS receiver on while tracking my bike ride this morning. The battery is currently at 85%.

I like the UI, especially the ability to change themes. Also the screen is definitely superior to the Moto X.

In my opinion the biggest cons of the G2 are that its almost too big and therefore unwieldy at times. And the phone's biggest problem is that the buttons are on the back. I really hate that design choice.

You shouldn't have purchased the G2 if it didn't suit your design taste or was too big...It didn't grow nor redesign itself after you walked out of the store. You chose the deal over what you were personally looking for in a device.......

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
If your OK with the larger size, get the G2. The only reason to skip it is the size and if you ABSOLUTELY NEED those updates. Screen quality, size, pixel, camera quality, battery life, processor are all much better on the G2. The moto X is a wonderful phone, but its hard to say it has fast updates. Sure it got to 4.4 soon, but only time will tell if that was a marketing gimmick to get people to love them or if they are going to truely be ahead of the curve. They still technically dont have 4.4.2 where the GPe devices do if you wanna be really picky.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If your OK with the larger size, get the G2. The only reason to skip it is the size and if you ABSOLUTELY NEED those updates. Screen quality, size, pixel, camera quality, battery life, processor are all much better on the G2. The moto X is a wonderful phone, but its hard to say it has fast updates. Sure it got to 4.4 soon, but only time will tell if that was a marketing gimmick to get people to love them or if they are going to truely be ahead of the curve. They still technically dont have 4.4.2 where the GPe devices do if you wanna be really picky.

Its interesting to me that of my 4 devices my G2 is the smallest and feels small. Its interesting that others would consider it to be large.

gp8.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress