Disable hold volume down for camera?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wear my G2 in a holster and I've had several occasions where when I get out of my car my camera is running. I believe it is that between my seat belt and jacket something has pressed the volume down long enough that the camera gets turned on.

While I certainly understand that some people love this feature, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to disable it (without rooting).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically, the proximity/light sensor SHOULD be preventing the G2 from coming on (including the camera). Does your holster/case cover the proximity/light sensor or is it exposed?

As a test, with the phone out, if you cover the proximity/light sensor with your thumb and then try to turn the device on, it should not come on. Okay, if you press the power button, yes the screen comes on for a second and then goes out; BUT for knock on, long press of volume down (camera) and long press of volume up (quicknote), the phone should not even turn on if the proximity/light sensor is covered. This is supposed to prevent pocket dial and backpack pictures, etc.

If the phone does come on under those test conditions, there is an app in the play store that will test the proximity sensor. Also, if you have a screen protector, check to see that it does not cover that row of camera/flash/proximity-light-sensor/LED (the stock screen protector has cutouts around that area), or that the protector is clean.

What kind of holster do you have? I'm also a holster guy (getting harder to be one with smartphones getting bigger and bigger lately), but my holster is more of a "rigid pouch with a flap plus belt clip" than a case and holder snap-in combo.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Theoretically, the proximity/light sensor SHOULD be preventing the G2 from coming on (including the camera). Does your holster/case cover the proximity/light sensor or is it exposed?

As a test, with the phone out, if you cover the proximity/light sensor with your thumb and then try to turn the device on, it should not come on. Okay, if you press the power button, yes the screen comes on for a second and then goes out; BUT for knock on, long press of volume down (camera) and long press of volume up (quicknote), the phone should not even turn on if the proximity/light sensor is covered. This is supposed to prevent pocket dial and backpack pictures, etc.

If the phone does come on under those test conditions, there is an app in the play store that will test the proximity sensor. Also, if you have a screen protector, check to see that it does not cover that row of camera/flash/proximity-light-sensor/LED (the stock screen protector has cutouts around that area), or that the protector is clean.

What kind of holster do you have? I'm also a holster guy (getting harder to be one with smartphones getting bigger and bigger lately), but my holster is more of a "rigid pouch with a flap plus belt clip" than a case and holder snap-in combo.

Thanks for the reply. It definitely does come on with proximity sensor and light sensor covered.

Funny because I don't have a problem with the proximity sensor while on a phone call (screen turns off when phone brought to ear). Maybe it's the light sensor?

I'll search for some apps to test these.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It definitely does come on with proximity sensor and light sensor covered.

Funny because I don't have a problem with the proximity sensor while on a phone call (screen turns off when phone brought to ear). Maybe it's the light sensor?

I'll search for some apps to test these.

So, I tried this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.innoventions.sensorkinetics&token=P3q-gDqT

It shows that both proximity and light sensors are working fine.

Does your G2's camera not turn on if you cover those sensors and hold the volume down button down?

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Does your G2's camera not turn on if you cover those sensors and hold the volume down button down?

That's correct, if I cover the sensors and hold volume down, the camera does not turn on. Also, if I cover the sensors, knock on doesn't work either (as expected) to wake up the phone; however, as mentioned, if I use the back Power button to wake up the phone, the phone screen will come on for a brief second, and then immediately turn off.

This bug/feature may vary by carrier, I have read others commenting on the same thing (the test while sensors covered does not prevent the camera from turning on, yet the sensor itself is functioning correctly and the motion sensor has been calibrated).

Edit: just to clarify, if I DON'T cover the sensors and DO long press volume down, the camera does come on (my 'cover the sensor test' wouldn't be worth much if it didn't, LOL).

Dan27893

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Install a camera control app (like Camera FV-5 Lite). The key hold will bring up the "complete action using..." window which will prevent the camera from opening. (Make sure when you want to open the camera you always select "just once"

Phil Spradley

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Install a camera control app (like Camera FV-5 Lite). The key hold will bring up the "complete action using..." window which will prevent the camera from opening. (Make sure when you want to open the camera you always select "just once"

Thanks for posting this. Great but simple alternative. It doesn't matter what other camera app you install, it resolves the issue. Couldn't disable the volume key from starting my camera on my lg (without rooting it which I didn't want to spend the time to do) and was constantly getting pocket pics taken I'd have to constantly delete. Great idea I didn't think to do.

Last edited: