How do I retrieve my WiFi settings on a Verizon LG G2 without rooting?

Alpine725

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
My Verizon LG G2 (running Lollipop 5.0.2) had a malfunctioning screen. Verizon was nice enough to send me a replacement G2 (also running Lollipop 5.0.2) but when I set it up, the WiFi settings (specifically the SSIDs and associated passwords) and other supposed Google saved information did not get restored. Can I retrieve them without rooting? If not, what is the best way to root and unroot so when the malfunctioning G2 is sent back to Verizon, they won't be able to tell it was rooted?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Alpine725

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Raptor007 - The old G2 is not dead but for some reason the WiFi data won't transfer. I have created another Gmail account and added it to the old phone in hopes that the info would attach itself to the new account...no dice. I even tried adding my wife's account to see if it would copy her data - apps yes...WiFi data no. I have done factory resets after each account attempt and still no luck.

Anyone out there have an answer for me?

Thanks again!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Wifi passwords won't transfer, but most routers today have WPS, so set the phone for WPS push button, press the WPS button on the router and the phone will connect.

2. You can't root, unroot and leave no signs, unless you reflash the stock ROM after you're finished. Most routing methods leave "footprints". (Manually rooting by pulling the ROM, adding su to /system/bin, then rm /system/su/bin from a rooted terminal prompt when you're done cleans it up, but flashing a stock ROM is easier.)

Alpine725

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Rukbat. I know the WiFi password setting will transfer (at least they used to) because they did when I first set up the old G2. There is a chance it has something to do with a Lollipop change (old G2 was on KitKat when it worked) but I am not sure. I called Google on it any they said that if the device was rooted then it would not transfer but in my case, it was not rooted.

Speaking of rooting...so, even with those "one-click-root" options (i.e. Towelroot, Kingoroot, etc...) when you reverse root using the same software, there are still root remnants?

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa