How can I prevent a system update on my LG Aristo 3?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mooncatt, I hope I do get lucky. My main reason for not wanting these updates in the first place is because of the space they hog up on your phone. This one will be 500 MB which by itself itsnt bad but I dont know if it'll make any cosmetic changes which will make the user interface more of a pain to navigate or mess with any other setting or files. Plus as soon as the lovely employees at T-Mobile cook up another update that'll be another 500 MB most likely. Over time that will add up. I checked out Tim1954's suggestion on AdGuard but since it doesn't seem to be an app issue (possibly) it doesnt seem like it would fix this issue. Maybe I'll look into finding out how to root this phone if the update does end up forcing itself on me.
I'm not a fan of updates as well due to past bad experiences. Don't worry about the space, though. The download size isn't the installed size. The update may use a bit more space, but much of it is replacement code and not additional code.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing in Android to block an app. Force stopping an app does it for now, but if Android gets a notice to run the app it runs. As I said, the only way of stopping that is to root the phone, then install an app, like Titanium Backup, to freeze the app. You can keep posting screen shots, but there's nothing there - you have to install an app to do it.

Firewalling may stop updates, but it also may not work. (You can firewall any app you install - you may not be able to firewall a system app - it depends on the phone and the firewall. And it's much less likely to be possible with a "no root" firewall.)

But without rooting the phone, stopping a system update isn't going to happen. (And if the phone isn't doing a seamless update [an a and a b system] stopping an update in the middle will result in a phone you probably can't fix - it will be dead after you stop the update.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing in Android to block an app. Force stopping an app does it for now, but if Android gets a notice to run the app it runs. As I said, the only way of stopping that is to root the phone, then install an app, like Titanium Backup, to freeze the app. You can keep posting screen shots, but there's nothing there - you have to install an app to do it.

I guess my phone is a unicorn, because none of that applies to mine. The only time Android restarts my system update app is after a restart. If it did restart the app, I'd know it because the update notice would pop-up again. I was skeptical at first, but I've held off the Oreo update for months at this point with no rooting or installing of other apps. That's why I took such an interest trying to help MetroMan3, hoping that LG had a similar method across the board. I fully accept the possibility that isn't the case for him, but was certainly worth looking into.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No reason to apologize. :) It's just that you can't prevent an update (thanks, Google, but as a software developer I can understand their not wanting to have to handle a bug that was fixed in the latest update), without freezing the update app with Link2SD or Titanium (or maybe another app of the same kind that I'm unaware of).

MetroMan3

Feb 17, 2019
Visit site
Just an update. I even tried going into developer settings and turning off auto updates from there. No luck though, Im still getting the notification to update. Im just shocked that they arent giving people an option to opt out to at least a certain number of times. They certainly aren't making phones like they used to. Oh well. Thanks again for all your help though guys.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe