Anyone Having Second Thoughts About Buying The G3?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
An M8 owner admitting that the camera is terrible is like making them admit that their kids are ugly......

I know what you mean about the camera. None of these HTC wonderkids believe it when I tell them that the 4MP resolution is terrible. I've taken side by side shots of the exact location with the M8 and G2 and posted them on the M8 threads and had people get mad at me and tell me I'm wrong or the lighting was different, or whatever. The M8's shutter speed is ridiculously responsive and fast. Yup. But who cares when the pictures it takes are not up to the quality I demand from a premium device that I gave $600 for. My 2 pennies.

CaptainKidd

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
An M8 owner admitting that the camera is terrible is like making them admit that their kids are ugly......
I am an M8 owner, and I will say the camera is decent. I've taken some really good pictures with it, and a fair share of not so good pictures unfortunately. I am not a professional photographer though, so it suits my needs pretty well. The rest of the features of the phone, and the superb performance have left me loving this phone more than I originally imagined. I have never used a phone that is as smooth and as quick as the M8 on a consistent basis. I am however excited to see how the G3 performs when I am able to use one in person.

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have done the same been going back and forth whether to get the g3 or the s5

Posted via Android Central App

i was thinking the same actually i was considering the m8 v g5 before i heard about the g3. the problem i had with the m8 is no dedicated button (same for the g3) and i love the samsing home button...
but the bloatware...oh my god samsung, what in the holy hell are you thinking with the amount of nonsense you cram onto those phones????

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I would venture that most of "us" are not professional photographers as well. And I guess if we were we would not be discussing the merits of a camera phone. I had (have) the M7 (my backup now) and it's a great phone as well, unfortunately it was also plagued with the dreaded Ultra Pixel technology. I as well took some good pictures but like you, had many bad ones (actually way too many bad ones in the grand scheme of things). As far a s a ratio of bad to good, my previous Droid DNA and S3 took more "better" pictures than bad ones. I currently use a Note 3 and the images are, to say the least, spectacular. So I guess it's relative, I can say that my M7 took better pictures than my Moto flip phone of years ago...
What's infuriating is when (on the M8 forum) members continually suggest it's the operator and not the phone (camera).
Unfortunately that argument doesn't fly considering that I do nothing different with my Note3 and it takes significantly better pics than the M8 ever will.
Like we said, we are not photographers.....I do not want to learn to be a photographer, I am busy enough as it is. I also do not want to adjust every setting based on the immediate conditions; who has time for that and even more so will the moment wait for you to fool around with your settings?
So for me, the non-photographer, the best camera is one that I put on Auto and it takes significantly more "better" pictures" than "bad" pictures.
My experience with the soon to be gone "Ultra Pixel catastrophe" is that it was always a gamble and I lost way too often.
HTC gambled on a gimmick, good for them, you gotta love risk takers....even when it doesn't work.
I have no doubt that the M8 is the last 4mp Ultra Pixel camera we will see. It will soon be forgotten such as the Evo3D camera.

I am an M8 owner, and I will say the camera is decent. I've taken some really good pictures with it, and a fair share of not so good pictures unfortunately. I am not a professional photographer though, so it suits my needs pretty well. The rest of the features of the phone, and the superb performance have left me loving this phone more than I originally imagined. I have never used a phone that is as smooth and as quick as the M8 on a consistent basis. I am however excited to see how the G3 performs when I am able to use one in person.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Have just read the very latest reviews of the G3 and have come to the conclusion (once again) that we are all making a mistake about the desirability of its 1440p display. A tried-and-tested 1080p is easily sufficient so for me that's a G2 or a Z2.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re-picked up a G2 to be my main carry phone and got rid of the M8 as I stated earlier. It's great. Love it. Love the G2 soooo much, that now I'm back into really wanting to pick up the G3.

What is wrong with me?

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Getting this phone. No question. There is no perfect phone. There will ALWAYS be a shortcoming with ANY device. Day to day though these shortcomings don't diminish the over all user experience. I've been using an LG Optimus G since it came out late 2012. 99% of the time, it does what I need it to. I just want a larger screen and to stick with LG. I could just buy a G2 off contract for around $450 sure but why not just get the latest model.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.

dmullins8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Getting this phone. No question. There is no perfect phone. There will ALWAYS be a shortcoming with ANY device. Day to day though these shortcomings don't diminish the over all user experience. I've been using an LG Optimus G since it came out late 2012. 99% of the time, it does what I need it to. I just want a larger screen and to stick with LG. I could just buy a G2 off contract for around $450 sure but why not just get the latest model.

I hear you. I think the only reason I won't get the G3 is if Verizon doesn't offer the 3/32 version, no way do I down grade to the 2/16 version.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I think the G3 would have been close to perfect with 1080p. The Note 3 has a bigger display and pixels can not be distinguished. Heck, most desk top displays are 1080p and there is not a rush there for Qhd.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly really annoyed with LG and let me explain why. First, This is a make or break model for LG and so far they have done EVERYTHING wrong. They announce the phone and give NO ONE in the US a release date while Samsung/HTC/Apple is selling their flagship everyday that the G3 isn't available and everyday LG loses a customer. I don't mind having to wait a month, but Don't play games with me. The fact that they have been quiet and so have the carriers is god awful annoying. If it's the carriers that's holding your phone back, Then you need to step up.

The next thing that bothers me is that they have a few different models, 2/16, 3/32 & wireless charging built in. Of course, We in the US can forget wireless charging and we can also forget choice, Since there is no guarantee that any carrier will provide both choices.

If you are a Manufacturer thats fighting for your life to become relevant like Samsung/HTC/Apple, You need to make sure you do everything right and they haven't done that. The mentioned 3 brands provided release dates, provided choice and didn't make us wait forever.

The G3 was a must have for me, But my M8 is is great and the longer LG waits, The more i will wait since theres going to be a new Moto X, Note 4, S5 Prime & For those who care IPhone 6. If i have to wait until August, I'm out.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm honestly really annoyed with LG and let me explain why. First, This is a make or break model for LG and so far they have done EVERYTHING wrong. They announce the phone and give NO ONE in the US a release date while Samsung/HTC/Apple is selling their flagship everyday that the G3 isn't available and everyday LG loses a customer. I don't mind having to wait a month, but Don't play games with me. The fact that they have been quiet and so have the carriers is god awful annoying. If it's the carriers that's holding your phone back, Then you need to step up.

The next thing that bothers me is that they have a few different models, 2/16, 3/32 & wireless charging built in. Of course, We in the US can forget wireless charging and we can also forget choice, Since there is no guarantee that any carrier will provide both choices.

If you are a Manufacturer thats fighting for your life to become relevant like Samsung/HTC/Apple, You need to make sure you do everything right and they haven't done that. The mentioned 3 brands provided release dates, provided choice and didn't make us wait forever.

The G3 was a must have for me, But my M8 is is great and the longer LG waits, The more i will wait since theres going to be a new Moto X, Note 4, S5 Prime & For those who care IPhone 6. If i have to wait until August, I'm out.

Agreed. Never announce a phone without a release date. If its the carriers that are holding it up get it straight with them before you announce. Apple is the only company that seems to do unveils right in this category. The longer they wait the more I'm likely to wait a little bit longer for a big battery replacement for my Droid Maxx.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the G3 would have been close to perfect with 1080p. The Note 3 has a bigger display and pixels can not be distinguished. Heck, most desk top displays are 1080p and there is not a rush there for Qhd.

I disagree, I saw a preproduction model of the G3 and the display blows every other phone out of the water. Let's be honest, If this had a 1080p screen, You mind as well call it the G2 Prime. Give us a aluminum body or some type of beautifully crafted body, An 805 and phenomenal Battery and i can forgive the 1080p display. Let's be honest, Everyone is talking about the display and its the only thing setting itself apart from other flagships.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Never announce a phone without a release date. If its the carriers that are holding it up get it straight with them before you announce. Apple is the only company that seems to do unveils right in this category. The longer they wait the more I'm likely to wait a little bit longer for a big battery replacement for my Droid Maxx.

You bring up a good point with Apple and i think Google and Manufacturers need to learn from them. No more branding on the phones, no more destroying the UI that is perfect (Nexus 5), No more altering the body/buttons(Verizon G2) and updates that align with every carrier.

I really don't care for Apple, But they got Balls and they don't let anyone push them around. It's time Everyone else takes note.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not so sure that HTC can be considered in the "relevant class" as Samsung and Apple.