LG G3 Signal Strength Values

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Please understand that my knowledge of radio technology is minimal, but am I not right to believe that, in measuring a phone signal, -75dBm is better than -85dBm, and that 20asu is better than 10asu? I post this here because there has been much discussion of the G3's signal strength and I want to be certain that I am interpreting the figures the right way.

Posted via Android Central App

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Signal Strength Values

This is a pretty good base to work from:

LTE Signal Strength Scale:
*Better than -88dBm is strong
*Between -89dBm and -96dBm is very good
*Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
*Between -106dBm and -112 dBm is fair
*Worse than -113dBm is poor

Mav. :cool:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

VW Maverick: It seems I'm right then. I'm relieved because I've just advised someone accordingly. Then I thought, Have I made a ghastly mistake?

Golfdriver97: Yes, oddly enough I'd just read that before starting the thread. What made me read it was that I'd read in another post somewhere that the values were the other way round, e.g. -85 better than -65.

Thanks to both of you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

VW Maverick: It seems I'm right then. I'm relieved because I've just advised someone accordingly. Then I thought, Have I made a ghastly mistake?

Golfdriver97: Yes, oddly enough I'd just read that before starting the thread. What made me read it was that I'd read in another post somewhere that the values were the other way round, e.g. -85 better than -65.

Thanks to both of you.

No sweat.
A while back I looked this up and saw a different site that agreed with the one I posted. Since I saw roughly the same info, I just linked it.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

What's interesting is because of the logarithmic scale used, a 3dBm inscrease in measured signal level actually indicates a doubling of the received signal power. Just shows that mobile signal strength varies over a huge huge range!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

What's interesting is because of the logarithmic scale used, a 3dBm inscrease in measured signal level actually indicates a doubling of the received signal power. Just shows that mobile signal strength varies over a huge huge range!

That I did not know. It makes the fluctuations that occur while you're checking the strength in Status all the more surprising, unless these are simply due to inaccuracies in the phone's probably fairly simple measuring system. I understand your concern over G3 signal now.
Thanks for additional info.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

This is a pretty good base to work from:

LTE Signal Strength Scale:
*Better than -88dBm is strong
*Between -89dBm and -96dBm is very good
*Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
*Between -106dBm and -112 dBm is fair
*Worse than -113dBm is poor

Mav. :cool:

It's good of you to have made this list...it would make a useful cut-out-and-keep for future reference, so I've captured it as a screenshot before the thread disappears downwards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo