LG G3 Can anyone verify if they are having compass issues.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was using maps and notice the compass was off. Then I tried using GPS status to calibrate the compass but it's wonky and won't fixate correctly. This is not an issue for my M8. Can anyone else confirm they are or not having issues?

Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can anyone verify if they are having compass issues.

I'm convinced the gyro is messed up. I tried using Sky Map and the compass / gyro either won't adjust our freezes.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Mine is working well, checked satellites compared with my G2 and locked much quicker and higher sensitivity (from indoors).

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Think I'm gonna send this back. Get it replaced today. The compass is just not accurate. When in drive mode in maps) it just will not line up with the road. In many cases it points opposite of the direction I'm going or perpendicular to the road. That has to be an issue.

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I have the same problem but I think you'll have the same problem even after you replace it. Isn't there a calibration function

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I have the same problem but I think you'll have the same problem even after you replace it. Isn't there a calibration function

I've used GPS Status and Toolbox but just doesn't seem to hold the calibration. It's like even when I hold the phone still the arrow direction still moves like it's too sensitive or loose or something. I don't have this issue with my M8

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I had the same issue with the m8, but now I'm playing with it again seems to be working better on the m8, were the g3 doesn't seem to be accurate at all

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

When I hold them side by side the g3 can be off by some degrees. It also seems very sensitive to interference

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I was driving sideways according to my G3 yesterday. lol

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I thought I was crazy. It doesn't do this on my M8...

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I've only used it a couple of time, but it has been spot on.

dfairchild

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Yes. Lg G3 compass seems to be of ~90 degrees, so N =E, W= N, etc. Tried several compass apps on my phone. This also makes inoperable Google Sky and other star gazing apps. Took the G3 to the carrier store today and loaded the compass app on the demo G3 and the tech's personal G3. Same problem on other two G3s - pointing 90 degrees off, all three pointing exactly the same and wrong. At least now I know the problem is not unique to my G3. Tech said the problem is most likely software and not hardware, so a future update may help. But not sure if the root problem is in the 4.4.2 OS, or in the carrier load, or what. So standing by.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I too bad problems using Sky Map. It was completely all over the place then it settled down. I really hope this isn't hardware issue. My 14 days is coming up Saturday and have to make my final decision. It works and don't work. Weirdest thing

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Does this affect gps when using google maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Does this affect gps when using google maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, just when you are tracking your route when that little blue dot is moving on the map and which way the map its orientated.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

No, just when you are tracking your route when that little blue dot is moving on the map and which way the map its orientated.

This. The GPS is accurate however the direction of the compass is off. This is most noticeable in compass apps or star navigation maps. Even using the directional street view will glitch. It's horrible and a major glitch for me personally. Especially when I'm hiking as I do that often.

dfairchild

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Yep, you bet. You'll need a reliable compass (app or real compass) to do much hiking. Will post back if the store lets me know any more details, but probably weeks or months away from a fix, I would bet, unfortunately. Thanks.

donsloan1122

May 16, 2012
Visit site

Yep, have this same problem on my Sprint G3 on ART. It's tracking great, but pointed 90 degrees off. Only bug I've encountered so far. But a crappy one, possible deal breaker...

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Did you try going into location settings and at the top under mode click high accuracy? This fixed mine. Before that it had me somewhere on the map I wasn't. Weird. But it's all good now.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Did you try going into location settings and at the top under mode click high accuracy? This fixed mine. Before that it had me somewhere on the map I wasn't. Weird. But it's all good now.

GPS is fine. It's the direction of the compass that flawed. I checked XDA site and saw atleast a thread there posted too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch