A few days in with my new S22 Ultra and already having some strange issues

Adhwc

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
Took ownership of my 512GB Ultra on the 22nd. Already noticed a couple of annoying things with it. Hope to get some insight here, and if nothing else maybe it'll all be fixed with updates.

* Issue 1: Problems booting into the boot menu. Holding power + volume key, it'll boot into the boot menu as normal. The second I take my finger off either key (tested and doesn't matter which) it will IMMEDIATELY go black and reboot normally. I've tried this multiple times and regardless every single time the second I release the keys it will go black and reboot normally. I cannot select any options from the boot menu and can only see it if I keep both keys pressed. I have owned Galaxy S series since the 4 and just came from the 20 Ultra so I am aware of how this works.

* Issue 2: Screen going black and turning back on to the lock screen. Doesn't matter what app or what I'm doing, and its totally random. I'll be doing whatever and the screen randomly turns off, then it turns back on onto the lock screen. I'll unlock it and it will be back to normal until it decides to do it again.

* Issue 3: Snapchat. I'm not sure if its the phone or snap or what, but it was totally fine on my S20 Ultra also running Android 12 with the newest One UI. Snap map doesn't work, like, at all. None of my friends show up and the little "hotspot" circles around the world (no idea what they are called) just show as huge black circles on the world map. The other issue is zooming. I cannot slightly zoom in or out. The second I go to zoom even slightly it zooms all the way in and it cannot be controlled.

Has anyone else had any of these issues? How do I go about fixing it? I'm close to just factory resetting. I have already done the "Reset all settings" option and it did not fix any of the problems.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm having issue #2. also having an issue where my notification sounds sometimes don't work. Started noticing this today. phone would be next to me on the desk. laying face down pick it up and notice I have 4 email and a missed called. but heard nothing.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For issues #1, after 1-2 seconds of seeing the Galaxy S22, Powered by Android screen, release the buttons...you're holding the buttons too long.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having issue 2...I can recreate it with the crypto.com app..I open the app and instead of opening the app it relocks the screen. When i unlock it, my home screens won't load. Could only see my wallpaper. I only have access to my side panels and notification. I need to reboot my phone get my home page and app drawer back.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having issue 2...I can recreate it with the crypto.com app..I open the app and instead of opening the app it relocks the screen. When i unlock it, my home screens won't load. Could only see my wallpaper. I only have access to my side panels and notification. I need to reboot my phone get my home page and app drawer back.
Are you using the default launcher?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Took ownership of my 512GB Ultra on the 22nd. Already noticed a couple of annoying things with it. Hope to get some insight here, and if nothing else maybe it'll all be fixed with updates.

* Issue 1: Problems booting into the boot menu. Holding power + volume key, it'll boot into the boot menu as normal. The second I take my finger off either key (tested and doesn't matter which) it will IMMEDIATELY go black and reboot normally. I've tried this multiple times and regardless every single time the second I release the keys it will go black and reboot normally. I cannot select any options from the boot menu and can only see it if I keep both keys pressed. I have owned Galaxy S series since the 4 and just came from the 20 Ultra so I am aware of how this works.

* Issue 2: Screen going black and turning back on to the lock screen. Doesn't matter what app or what I'm doing, and its totally random. I'll be doing whatever and the screen randomly turns off, then it turns back on onto the lock screen. I'll unlock it and it will be back to normal until it decides to do it again.

* Issue 3: Snapchat. I'm not sure if its the phone or snap or what, but it was totally fine on my S20 Ultra also running Android 12 with the newest One UI. Snap map doesn't work, like, at all. None of my friends show up and the little "hotspot" circles around the world (no idea what they are called) just show as huge black circles on the world map. The other issue is zooming. I cannot slightly zoom in or out. The second I go to zoom even slightly it zooms all the way in and it cannot be controlled.

Has anyone else had any of these issues? How do I go about fixing it? I'm close to just factory resetting. I have already done the "Reset all settings" option and it did not fix any of the problems.
Which version you have Snap Dragon or Exynos? For screen going black do u have double tap to turn screen off on? Snap chat try Uninstall and install again.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Interesting and even more interesting when a bug is repeatable and confirmed. Moderators or someone should create an "S22 Ultra bugs. crashes, oddites with apps report here" thread to keep bug posts together and use for people to try to repeat and confirm.

Will help Samsung be aware of issues... put a spotlight on them so that they get a nudge to fix them ASAP ;) ... and hopefully by the time I am ready to move on to the S22U, all the initial and major bugs will be erradicated and not have to deal with these things :)

Adhwc

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
Update:

I decided to factory reset. I will see how this effects the black/lock screen issue. Too early to tell as it wasn't a constant problem but rather totally random (at least for me).

Snapchat, no luck. Still acting strange. Beings KingofKings mentioned his S20 was having issues (though strangely enough, when I had my S20 Ultra was still just fine up until I switched phones on the 22nd) maybe its just a bug on their end. Annoying, but a relief.

As far as the boot menu, I released the power while holding the volume once the SAMSUNG logo showed. Worked fine. I suppose this has been changed since the S20? I remember holding all buttons until the boot menu showed before. Either way, I got it now.

Which version you have Snap Dragon or Exynos? For screen going black do u have double tap to turn screen off on? Snap chat try Uninstall and install again.

I have the snapdragon. I do double-tap for off/on. However when this bug happens, it goes off itself, then the screen comes back on by itself a second later but on the lock screen.

Adhwc

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
My s20 ultra had no issues. The snapchat map issue started with my s22 ultra

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. Are you also having weird zooming problems when recording?

I tried doing a little googling and didn't really come up with anything proving this to be a known issue (yet) so I'm glad at least someone else experienced it. Hopefully that means an update will be coming in the future.

Adhwc

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
My s20 ultra had no issues. The snapchat map issue started with my s22 ultra

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. Are you also having weird zooming problems when recording?

I tried doing a little googling and didn't really come up with anything proving this to be a known issue (yet) so I'm glad at least someone else experienced it. Hopefully that means an update will be coming in the future.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update:

I decided to factory reset. I will see how this effects the black/lock screen issue. Too early to tell as it wasn't a constant problem but rather totally random (at least for me).

Snapchat, no luck. Still acting strange. Beings KingofKings mentioned his S20 was having issues (though strangely enough, when I had my S20 Ultra was still just fine up until I switched phones on the 22nd) maybe its just a bug on their end. Annoying, but a relief.

As far as the boot menu, I released the power while holding the volume once the SAMSUNG logo showed. Worked fine. I suppose this has been changed since the S20? I remember holding all buttons until the boot menu showed before. Either way, I got it now.

I have the snapdragon. I do double-tap for off/on. However when this bug happens, it goes off itself, then the screen comes back on by itself a second later but on the lock screen.
Try keeping that toggle off see if it does it still maybe a bug in that and also clear cache in recovery if you haven't already, if your up to it monitor it safe mode see maybe something 3rd party app or application doing this.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I experienced issue #1 until I figured out when to let go of the buttons. But I know of at least one app, a banking app, that will not run on this phone. Runs fine on my Flip3 and N20U. The app version is the same across all three. I also had some issues with the Android Central Forum app not loading but that resolved itself. I might do a factory reset, but I really shouldn't have too. Never seen this issue on any previous phones I've had. A bit concerning.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
One odd quirk I'll report so far (S22U), I often have a little YouTube pop out while browsing or something. I had video playing while shopping on Amazon and the refresh/scroll got weird in Amazon and also in the browser until I exited out of the YouTube window.

That's not a problem for my Note phones usually, so a bit concerning but hopefully an early quirk that will resolve. I'll probably restart before I try that again and play around with it.

Ethan Nobles1

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site

Yup, I'm having those snapchat issues with the map and zooming switches from each camera really roughly. Tried it on my S10 and works fine no bugs. Definitely something with snapchat on the S22 models.