Whats wrong with US carriers and their LG G3's?!

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Does the AT&T version have more changes and bloat than the Verizon version? Usually, Verizon has the most. I know that the Verizon G3 even was modified to have the Verizon logo on the front.

I would pay for the phone full up front - if it where cheaper. But in my situation, it is not. I am stuck with Verizon, even though they modify their phones, probably the most out of any US carrier, because their service is better than the competition where I need it, and because their price is WAY WAY lower than any of the competition, for my uses, which includes unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot. Unfortunately, no other US carrier offers the unlimited Hotspot option. I could pay for a data hotspot tier, but it would be insanely expensive for how much data I use. I realize my situation is probably in the minority though, as Verizon is generally regarded to be the most expensive carrier. Depending on the situation though, it may or may not be true for you.

Also, most of Verizon's current 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. The only major US carrier to do so. There are Developer Editions that work on Verizon as well

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

The AT&T G3 has a tremendous amount of AT&T garbage. Plus, they pack in Carrier IQ! Plus they stick Farcebook and Twatter in there so they cannot be uninstalled. Plus they have completely disabled FM radio. Plus they do not plan on supporting wireless charging back (from what I can tell). The kids in the stores don't even know what it is, never mind whether AT&T plans on releasing this option soon. And you cannot buy the G3 unlocked anywhere. It's really pathetic.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wait what you can't even have hotspot on your phone, even this is a extra? Wow...

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

Only for unlimited plans. Unlimited plans specifically say it's for the phones data.. Not a device tethered to the phone.

For all limited plans... Tethering is free.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I am talking about the carrier changes to a device. Your issues with apple may be another topic. My point with iPhone is accurate.
Your buddy with an iPhone on another carrier is not different than yours.

I understand what you're saying, but it's the same idea. Which is why I said the logic with Apple and Siri doesn't line up with Verizon and Apple.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Nah I'm jealous, sounds like he has fast and unlimited tethering. His poor phone must be an absolute workhorse!

Lol. I am thinking he uses his phone as a home hotspot because it is faster than his home internet.. but still. Put the phone down and go on vacation! One month I left my WiFi off intentionally and could only use 2.8 GB of LTE data.

Posted via Nexus 5

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, so like this too...

What's the point of changing the look of the device or tones? It seems they just going crazy and changing everything without any good reason.

Will they even update the phone regularly or just do the dirty and useless work once and leave the phone alone after forever?

Trying to understand them and the US market but I still can't.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I think the changes to the camera ring and power button make it look more premium.

Also, I saw the black one in the store and is it really different than the other carriers??? I have not been able to google a side-by-side of the actual, non-rendered models.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, so like this too...

What's the point of changing the look of the device or tones? It seems they just going crazy and changing everything without any good reason.

Will they even update the phone regularly or just do the dirty and useless work once and leave the phone alone after forever?

Trying to understand them and the US market but I still can't.

All I can think of is Verizon wants theirs to differ from the other variants.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
We here in the old U.S. of A. have not experienced anything other than what we have been getting to this point, so we have no frame of reference to compare it with.
It is a little sad, actually.

Mav. :cool:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I am thinking he uses his phone as a home hotspot because it is faster than his home internet.. but still. Put the phone down and go on vacation! One month I left my WiFi off intentionally and could only use 2.8 GB of LTE data.

Posted via Nexus 5

Just depends what you do on your phone. If you just get updates.. Facebook.. Sites.. Some music.. Won't use much. Go stream some movies and it'll spike so fast :D.

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe that's why iPhone's biggest market is the US because it offers the same experience for everybody and providers can't duck it up? It makes sense since in Europe it's not common at all.

That is super sad though, our phones (Android or anything) are unaffected by providers since 6-7 years (Remember having Vodafone ringtones and wallpapers on my Siemens phones).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe that's why iPhone's biggest market is the US because it offers the same experience for everybody and providers can't duck it up? It makes sense since in Europe it's not common at all.

That is super sad though, our phones (Android or anything) are unaffected by providers since 6-7 years (Remember having Vodafone ringtones and wallpapers on my Siemens phones).

It's just how it is. The carriers are allowed to do it so of course they want to gunk up the phones.

But..

That's why we are here. To help with issues and even help with getting rid of things if people really want. Not all bloat from a carrier is bad... A good hunk usually always is but not everything.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I wish other companies were as fast getting updates like HTC is. Google needs to step in and act like Apple to get everyone faster updates.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3 using the AC Forums App

Seriously? Until recently HTC was the WORST. Look at the Thunderbolt update to GB as an example. JB was nearly out before that device got GB on it and it was the top phone on Verizon for a while.

Motorola is pretty quick with updates recently, they got KK to the Moto X ON VERIZON before some Nexus devices got it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T G3 has a tremendous amount of AT&T garbage. Plus, they pack in Carrier IQ! Plus they stick Farcebook and Twatter in there so they cannot be uninstalled. Plus they have completely disabled FM radio. Plus they do not plan on supporting wireless charging back (from what I can tell). The kids in the stores don't even know what it is, never mind whether AT&T plans on releasing this option soon. And you cannot buy the G3 unlocked anywhere. It's really pathetic.
Wow, yeah that sucks. I remember on my Verizon note 2, the Wireless charging contacts were blocked off. The get it working, you had to physically hack the case. Luckily it wasn't the case for the note 3. Verizon has been stripping the fm radio out for some time too. Software

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

billy10101

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? Until recently HTC was the WORST. Look at the Thunderbolt update to GB as an example. JB was nearly out before that device got GB on it and it was the top phone on Verizon for a while.

Motorola is pretty quick with updates recently, they got KK to the Moto X ON VERIZON before some Nexus devices got it.

And the "other" HTC Ones were slow to update if they even did I'm not sure. All OEMs are getting better updating though. Samsung pushing out KK to S3's two years later. It took them 6 months but they got it done.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3 using the AC Forums App

CFR0628

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading the forum for a while and I completely failed understand the US mobile market. Absolutely.

Carriers are changing the software of the device and DISABLING stock features like radio or remove wireless charging?

This is outrageous! Why are they doing this and how people can let that?

I can't imagine carriers are doing this in Europe - even if they lock the phone for a specific carrier is super annoying, can't even imagine what should I do if they would make my phone worse on purpose.

They want you to BUY a wireless charging case from them. They want you to BUY MORE DATA to listen to music, not get free FM radio.

etc...

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
We here in the old U.S. of A. have not experienced anything other than what we have been getting to this point, so we have no frame of reference to compare it with.
It is a little sad, actually.

It's getting better, however. A few years ago you could not get a phone on more than one carrier; everything was an exclusive. The carriers would announce what phones they were releasing, not the manufacturers. Things started improving after 2010, but even then one carrier's version of a phone could vastly differ from another's (see the original Samsung Galaxy S and S2 for good examples). Now at least "carrier exclusives" are becoming death sentences, and the manufacturers are doing everything they can to ensure wide release with minimal modifications. Unless you're Apple (or Google, selling directly), however, your phone will come with bloat at the minimum and disabled features at worst.

And yet a few years ago HTC was the fastest, and pre-Google Motorola was notorious for abandoning phones with no (or minor/bug fix) OS upgrades. Things change.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I only heard about Verizon, so all carriers modify it somehow? That's sad.

Thank God our carriers (Bell, Rogers) ended this BS. No logos or any tweaking AFAIK. I can't remember the last time they included carriers Splash Screen at start ups.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo