Android 5.0 - and G3 Compatability

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I heard a rumor that Android L is optimized for 64 bit processors and as a result, phones without 64 bit processors may suffer. Is there any truth to thet?

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
99% of the phones that are going to be running Lillipop next year are 32 bit devices. The Nexus 6 and the new Droid whatever are the only current 64 bit phones. (The European Note 4 has a 64 bit chip, but is operating in 32 bit mode).

Lollipop seems to fun just fine on the 32 bit Nexus 5, and the preview of it running on the 32 bit Galaxy S5 looked fine, too. Google would be nuts to significantly handicap all the existing phones. Will it run better on a 64 bit phone? Probably, but I doubt the difference will be huge.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That new droid and the 6 are still 32... there are no 64b phones kicking around. The nexus 9, though, will be 64.

5.0 will run, and run well, on a 32 bit phone.

wezzyd

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
The g3 is lg's flagship phone and one of the best android devices of the year. Course its going to get L

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The g3 is lg's flagship phone and one of the best android devices of the year. Course its going to get L

And I'm hoping they get the update out with the quickness.... I suspect that due to the popularity of Lollipop, they might show a bit of urgency. In the past, LG hasn't exactly been know for their prompt updates, but considering the major overhaul that occured in 5.0, and the fact that the G3 has been their most successful phone ever, they might pump out an update quicker.

Still.... one the custom devs iron out the camera and bluetooth issues, we'll get KK custom ROMs (which would rule). Once that happens, and the 5.0 sources hit, I am pretty sure that we'll get a custom LP ROM for the G3 well before LG puts out an official one. (and I might very well take that route).

Though... the Nexus 6 is still quite tempting. My wife has been getting increasingly more frustrated with the shortcomings of her Nexus 5's camera.... I might switch that out for a G3, and then switch mine to a N6.... I have 1 JUMP to use between now and next July, so I'd have to use it wisely. :)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I heard a rumor that Android L is optimized for 64 bit processors and as a result, phones without 64 bit processors may suffer. Is there any truth to thet?

Thanks!

Even the nexus 7 will get the update. That's an indication of how compatible it is with current flagships.

Posted via Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Still.... one the custom devs iron out the camera and bluetooth issues, we'll get KK custom ROMs (which would rule). Once that happens, and the 5.0 sources hit, I am pretty sure that we'll get a custom LP ROM for the G3 well before LG puts out an official one. (and I might very well take that route).

I think I will, too.

Though... the Nexus 6 is still quite tempting. My wife has been getting increasingly more frustrated with the shortcomings of her Nexus 5's camera.... I might switch that out for a G3, and then switch mine to a N6.... I have 1 JUMP to use between now and next July, so I'd have to use it wisely. :)

It's too bad the price of this Nexus is so high. I am wondering if your wife would want something that big? Unless she exclusively carries her phone in her purse. It would be nice to have both Nexus 6 and G3 in your house to play with. I would totally get the Nexus 6 as a secondary device if the price was less. I would even buy one and not even get cell service on it and keep it for a fun at-home phablet. But the price kills it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad the price of this Nexus is so high. I am wondering if your wife would want something that big?

Well, I don't consider the Nexus 6 price high... I still see it as less than its competition, substantially less. It's just not rock bottom like the Nexus 5. As for my wife... well, I don't think she'll mind going tom the Nexus to the G3... provided she gets a good camera out of the deal. I mean we were at a Halloween thing this weekend and just about every picture she took was slightly out of focus... Some were quite nice, but many were just on the wrong side of 'soft'.

But I loaded the LP preview on it... maybe that helps things. I know Google completely overhauled the camera subsystem.. so if they cleaned up the AF a little bit, she might not need a new phone.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't consider the Nexus 6 price high... I still see it as less than its competition, substantially less.

I only consider it to be high because I am comparing it to other Nexus pricing. Since it was done in-house (Motorola) we should have all expected this pricing.

And I know what you mean about the camera. She will love the G3 camera, of course.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I only consider it to be high because I am comparing it to other Nexus pricing..

Yeah, and I think this has tempered enthusiasm. I mean, if this had been released as the Moto XL or whatever, rather than a nexus, I think the reaction would have been quite different. When compared to the X, the price makes perfect sense... But when compared to the Nexus 5, is a hard pill to swallow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87