Opinions of G3 after a few months of use

raejr78

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine for full retail in October and so far I've loved it. I stump'd and bump'd mine (root and unlock) and I'm running a custom Rom with a custom kernel. Now it flies and the battery life is awesome. Try the SkyDragon kernel if you want the same experience even on rooted stock.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Odd, i'll have to try this out and see if mine does the same.

So start recording, then zoom in then out and see if the audio is messed up during playback?

Yes. When I got home and downloaded the videos everything is fine right when recording starts but the second I started to zoom in, the audio gets all muffled. You can hear the distortion also when watching the videos on the phone but it's even more evident on better computer speakers.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. Unless something comes out in the next month or so that intrigues me, I will probably get the G3. The fact that they kept the footprint of the phone as small as possible while cramming that big screen in is another plus for me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. Unless something comes out in the next month or so that intrigues me, I will probably get the G3. The fact that they kept the footprint of the phone as small as possible while cramming that big screen in is another plus for me.

Yep.... the G3 is packaged beautifully... And I really liked the ergonomics of the back buttons. It was odd at first, but it became quite natural. But with all the tap stuff, I rarely used the power button anyhow.

Yep... top notch phone. Performance was good, battery did its job, camera is awesome. And LG appears to be trying to get their act together with updates. I recently swapped it out for a Nexus 6, but that had nothing to do with any issues with the G3.... I just wanted the 6. But I am going to be switching out my wife's phone for a G3 some point very soon. Hell of a phone.

psychotron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
This is a 2 year phone IMO. Unless you do not handle phones with care.. But a decent case should solve your unsteady or uncaring hand if that is an issue.

I'm extremely careful with all my electronics, I treat them almost as if they were Faberge eggs, lol. Don't misunderstand, the reason my phone is giving out is not due to any fault of my own. It's just that since the latest update to 8.1 (I'm currently using a Windows Phone. Go ahead - laugh. Got it out of your system now? Good. I'll continue) my wifi has quit connecting to any router and the camera only works when it feels like it, which I believe may be related to an actual hardware failure. As awesome as the camera on the Lumia 1020 is it is incredibly slow when it does work and it's mechanical workings are not the most sturdy and prone to failure after a length of time or under misuse. Anyway, I'm done with my Windows Phone experiment and ready to move back (before I lose my mind) to the best handset I can find in between flagship release cycles.

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the G3 as I haven't shot any videos with it, but on the G2, "Audio Zoom" is touted as a feature. That is, if shooting a video of stage of a school concert, the sound focus reflects the wide video view. If you zoom in on little Johnny, the audio focuses with the video zoom, focusing in and around Johnny (using the 3 microphones on the device). Possibly this feature muffles out the overall sound say, if the sound system speakers are to the sides of the stage.

I completely understand the problem here; that is, likely what is desired for a school concert in my example, is constant sound volume and quality with video panning and zooming throughout the video. My guess is that LG's Audio Focus feature was meant to bring little Johnny's singing to the forefront by focusing in on him when the video is focused in on him.

Just my musings, not based on facts -- except that Audio Focus does exist as a LG G2 feature.

RRdad

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Got otterbox cover for G3 fits in pants or shirt pocket. Battery is not all day for use. Usb cord only charges in my SYNC radio for my car have to use Bluetooth which I use all week. Headphone jack not greatest connection depending on which headphones u use. However I was Apple everything until I got this phone,wife even used 1 for awhile. Kids may get one if it lasts a year. They had androids 4 years ago until all their phones crapped out for different reasons. They use Apple now. I had it for 4 months now better screen size and lot of features to ME make G3 best of available androids. Everybody has their own opinion and valid reason until you check it out at the store and make up YOUR own mind what you what.

Stalin Figueroa

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
My G3 arrived two weeks ago (got it on cyber monday), and I'm just loving this 5.5 in. of screen in a phone that fits perfectly on my hand and pockets. Before buying it, I was not sure if getting it or buying the Oneplus One(another good deal for its price), but now I'm glad I got the G3. As far as I've been using it, the only negative issue I have noticed is about the stock keybord, it's not as predictive as the Samsung Galaxy's. So I guess I'll be giving a shot to switfkey.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about the G3 as I haven't shot any videos with it, but on the G2, "Audio Zoom" is touted as a feature. That is, if shooting a video of stage of a school concert, the sound focus reflects the wide video view. If you zoom in on little Johnny, the audio focuses with the video zoom, focusing in and around Johnny (using the 3 microphones on the device). Possibly this feature muffles out the overall sound say, if the sound system speakers are to the sides of the stage.

I completely understand the problem here; that is, likely what is desired for a school concert in my example, is constant sound volume and quality with video panning and zooming throughout the video. My guess is that LG's Audio Focus feature was meant to bring little Johnny's singing to the forefront by focusing in on him when the video is focused in on him.

Just my musings, not based on facts -- except that Audio Focus does exist as a LG G2 feature.

Yeah I saw "Audio Focus" mentioned on G2's when I Googled the problem but nothing on G3's and I can't find Audio Focus anywhere in my settings unless it's somewhere in the camera settings that I'm not aware of.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I saw "Audio Focus" mentioned on G2's when I Googled the problem but nothing on G3's and I can't find Audio Focus anywhere in my settings unless it's somewhere in the camera settings that I'm not aware of.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes. When I got home and downloaded the videos everything is fine right when recording starts but the second I started to zoom in, the audio gets all muffled. You can hear the distortion also when watching the videos on the phone but it's even more evident on better computer speakers.

Tested this at my a school musical and no issues here.

erica_483

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you are concerned about battery life and you prefer stock skin over Samsung/LG toggles on notification menu etc kind of UI, I would suggest going for Xperia Z3 (provided you don't root or don't mind sacrificing some low light camera and display performance). Z3 also offers a location-based wifi (which automatically switches off data and use the wifi you have saved: I really like this function!) The multi-tasking features are also much better that LG G3, including the windowed app mode and one-hand operation tweaks

If you prefer skinned android (which I do as there are certain features that are really useful and more convenient) : Go for Note 4 instead. The display is better and battery life is better. Camera and other features are more or less on par (if not better -- HDR mode is great for taking outdoor shots) : well, UI wise I do prefer Lg's more toned down colour scheme however, Samsung's isn't that bad...just turn the screen mode to basic if you are more for accurate colours.

I really liked the customisable softkeys, the way I can choose apps to use immersive mode in my settings, knock code, the way I can double tap to turn screen off and on, the camera gestures shortcut like the fist to take a selfie, the small windowed call/sms alerts (though I switched to Textra as I want more customisability and Material look) and the 5x5 grid are the subtle software UI tweaks that make this a phone I do not regret buying. Do note that G3 has a screen that is certainly dimmer than average and a battery life that isn't as impressive as the other two (max of 5 hr SOT compared to 2+ days for Z3 on stamina mode and arnd 7hrs for Note 4).

Coming from a 2yr old S3 to a G3, this phone fantastic -- it doesn't lag, overheat and crash, or stutter everytime and badly unlike the S3. However, I find Note 4 a better buy if you plan to keep the phone for the next 2 yrs

kernowgooner

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've also come from a Samsung S3 and bought my G3 end of October.

I love this phone and have got used to the back buttons and knock code so much I can't use a different phone. I have an issue with battery life as I'm a heavy user. To cure the battery life problems I have bought a Qi wireless charger which I use in the office so I can top up during the day. My main gripe at the moment is the 5.0 lollipop update. I'm hoping a factory reset is going to fix this so I won't bother going into details.

One minor annoyance is the screen resolution. Great as the screen is until all the media apps such as Sky Go, Netflix, Youtube etc improve their video quality to compensate movies/tv tend to look a bit naff. I'm sure that will improve with time.

Hope this helps! :)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll chime in, I recently returned to the G3 after a short stint with the Turbo. Top reason why:

1. Lack of external SD Card in Turbo
  2. Advanced Voice wouldn't work on Turbo even after the update. (I believe this to be my plan, but I could be wrong.)
  3. Screen. While it's only .3" bigger, it really is a nicer screen to me.
  4. No root for Turbo and appears to be no root for the future of the device.
  5. UI. The UI of the Turbo is too basic for me. I missed the ability to setup folders and hide apps in the drawer. While I had a launcher installed, the G3's UI is perfect as far as I'm conserned.

Anyway, those are a few reasons why I came back. Love the G3, and it will be my device permanent device for a few years.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yep... top notch phone. Performance was good, battery did its job, camera is awesome. And LG appears to be trying to get their act together with updates. I recently swapped it out for a Nexus 6, but that had nothing to do with any issues with the G3.... I just wanted the 6. But I am going to be switching out my wife's phone for a G3 some point very soon. Hell of a phone.

I want a Nexus 6 just to have one as well, but would most likely continue to use my G3 as the daily driver.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I came from the original Note LTE I717 version. This phone packs a larger screen in a smaller phone. Resolution is fantastic, as is every other feature this beast has to offer. It is hands down the best phone I have ever owned, and also I have yet to see something out there that will draw me away from it. Well done Lg!

Posted via the Android Central App

lordielordie

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
After owning a number of Samsungs, this is my first LG phone.

• OK plus camera
  • Power/volume buttons on the back
  • Qslide, I wish they had more apps supported

Dislikes:
  • The GPS is not as good/fast as the Samsung
  • It may be an AT&T issue but it drop out of LTE more often than the Samsung in the same place

Overall the most frustrating issue is the GPS and the GPRS radio.. The phone sits in the car at the same place, is the same cradle as all my other phones and it seems that the GPS is not as sensitive of as fast as my previous phones. Nav apps lose thier oriantaion quite often.
The Data Connection also in not as good as the samsung phones, as where I used to get LTE in most of the area I live, with this phone I drop from LTE to "4G" more often (could be an AT&T issue, but i doubt it.)

I will keep this phone for now, but once my contract is up I'm back to Samsung.