Love this phone but think I got a bad one.

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Have had the phone almost 2 weeks and I really love this phone. But there's certain things that's starting to annoy me and I may be calling Verizon for a replacement. The responsiveness of the screen is awful. Can't wake up the phone! Tapping tapping nothing happens so I have to use the power button! I can't type right. The space button doesn't register my touch half the time. I'll touch an app at least twice almost every time. I'm coming from an s3 and I'm guessing the screen on it was more sensitive and I just need to get used to this? But this is getting on my nerves.

I've also had a weird screen flickering when it's locked and I slide my finger down for the time. I'll take my finger off and it flickers a blank gray screen until I have to use the power button to make it stop. This started on Friday and has happened several times since. And the first time it happened I noticed the phone starting to heat up. It got pretty hot. I was using snap chat at the time when it started.

The battery life is no where near you all are reporting. I still have my unlimited data so I dont use wifi. My Verizon service is pretty solid in my area. I keep the location off all the time unless I need it. I keep the Bluetooth on so that it'll automatically connect to my car. Because turning it on and off everytime just isn't an option. I've disabled most Verizon apps. My average battery life is between 7 and 8 hours. When I'm at work I get 12 hours with 3 hours sot. I haven't been able to get more than that. I keep the screen somewhere in the 50-60% brightness. Sometimes I gotta go full because of the sun. And less when I'm at work overnight.

I do use this phone a lot. Although it's a great improvement coming from the Samsung s3 I guess I was expecting a lot more out of this phone. It's still amazing and I want to love it more!

Sent from my VS986

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In other posts, I see G4 people mention about 3 hours of SOT as well. Can't explain the screen flicker and overheating, though.

You don't have a screen protector on, do you? Or is it possible the plastic film that phone was packaged with is still on? (Some people like to keep that on as a makeshift screen protector.)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried a Reset?

(Posted same moment as above)
(Also, I've still got my protector on....okay.)

Posted via the Android Central App

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
In other posts, I see G4 people mention about 3 hours of SOT as well. Can't explain the screen flicker and overheating, though.

You don't have a screen protector on, do you? Or is it possible the plastic film that phone was packaged with is still on? (Some people like to keep that on as a makeshift screen protector.)
No screen protector and I took the one off that came with the phone.
Have you tried a Reset?

I haven't tried a reset yet though that was going to be my next step. Just don't want to since I have everything set up the way I want.

Sent from my VS986

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
That's really unfortunate. I'd definitely try a factory reset and if that doesn't iron out the kinks then I would get a replacement. I use Snapchat pretty heavily and I have had no issues with it, so don't think it's a problem with the app. In any case, good luck finding a solution.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a Reset?

(Posted same moment as above)
(Also, I've still got my protector on....okay.)

Phone is 2 weeks old... You really think a reset would help?

And for what it's worth OP, my screen doesn't seem very responsive either. Sometimes I have to triple tap to wake it up.

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
You know what. I'm calling Verizon right now. I'm noticing a weird thing while charging as I'm using the phone the past 40 minutes. The screen changes its brightness very slightly it dims a bit then it brightens a bit. I noticed this earlier when I was typing but thought it was my eyes since I worked last night and didn't get much sleep. It happened once I dismissed it. Happened again thought I was hallucinating cause I'm tired. And it just happened 5 minutes ago. The screen noticeably brightened. And no I dont have it on auto. Never do as I prefer to adjust this myself.

Sent from my VS986

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You know what. I'm calling Verizon right now. I'm noticing a weird thing while charging as I'm using the phone the past 40 minutes. The screen changes its brightness very slightly it dims a bit then it brightens a bit. I noticed this earlier when I was typing but thought it was my eyes since I worked last night and didn't get much sleep. It happened once I dismissed it. Happened again thought I was hallucinating cause I'm tired. And it just happened 5 minutes ago. The screen noticeably brightened. And no I dont have it on auto. Never do as I prefer to adjust this myself.

Sent from my VS986

Good call. Just make sure when you get the new one you don't restore from a backup. Could very well be some corruption going on in the filesystem.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
My phone is being delivered on Wednesday, I'm going to factory reset it before I set it up. Good luck maybish.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My phone is being delivered on Wednesday, I'm going to factory reset it before I set it up. Good luck maybish.

That's what I always do and I didn't with G4, not sure why and I had tons of issues. Factory reset last night like a mofo and deleted everything I could and did not use the setup wizard. Let it sit overnight, signed into google account this morning and so far it seems a little better but we shall see. It's so random how one person gets 6 hours SOT and one can't even get 3 lol

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Have had the phone almost 2 weeks and I really love this phone. But there's certain things that's starting to annoy me and I may be calling Verizon for a replacement. The responsiveness of the screen is awful. Can't wake up the phone! Tapping tapping nothing happens so I have to use the power button! I can't type right. The space button doesn't register my touch half the time. I'll touch an app at least twice almost every time. I'm coming from an s3 and I'm guessing the screen on it was more sensitive and I just need to get used to this? But this is getting on my nerves.

I've also had a weird screen flickering when it's locked and I slide my finger down for the time. I'll take my finger off and it flickers a blank gray screen until I have to use the power button to make it stop. This started on Friday and has happened several times since. And the first time it happened I noticed the phone starting to heat up. It got pretty hot. I was using snap chat at the time when it started.

The battery life is no where near you all are reporting. I still have my unlimited data so I dont use wifi. My Verizon service is pretty solid in my area. I keep the location off all the time unless I need it. I keep the Bluetooth on so that it'll automatically connect to my car. Because turning it on and off everytime just isn't an option. I've disabled most Verizon apps. My average battery life is between 7 and 8 hours. When I'm at work I get 12 hours with 3 hours sot. I haven't been able to get more than that. I keep the screen somewhere in the 50-60% brightness. Sometimes I gotta go full because of the sun. And less when I'm at work overnight.

I do use this phone a lot. Although it's a great improvement coming from the Samsung s3 I guess I was expecting a lot more out of this phone. It's still amazing and I want to love it more!

Sent from my VS986

Hmmm...mine is working. I do get the occasional button-not-registering-when-I-tap-it thing, though. And it only happens when I'm typing on the keyboard. Hmmm.

Edit: I'm also on Verizon.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't experienced an insensitivity with the screen yet, but this is my first full day with it (not counting last night's purchase). Interesting. I wonder if LG needs to tweak the software?
So far knock code is super responsive.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear as we can all see how much you like the G4.

Its unfortunate that whilst some get great results and very few issue's, then others get the opposite.

Usually things settle after a few days but this doesn't seem to be the case here. I make a habit of Factory resetting prior to setting up my new device.

This is something you can do, but back up anything you wish to keep as this will wipe the internal storage.

I hope this helps & failing that return and try another but don't give up just yet...

We all here at AC want and wish you to have a great G4 experience 😀

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Something random may have happened during the first installation, or an app could be buggering things up. So you could try disabling every app possible. But chances are that will not help.

Next reset is the only option. And in this case don't use the awesome LG Backup / restore. And I doubt reset will help either but you'll have nothing to lose but you have to do it if you have the time.

What is the last day that you can return to Verizon for replacement? That is the key thing to look at. If it's today, for example, just reset and exchange it asap. Assuming they have some in stock...

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I can say that the screen sensitivity is pretty bad on this phone. I have had the phone for about 4 days now and sensitivity is a huge issue. I installed this app on the phone https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s.touchscreenbooster.com&hl=en&token=iYvFw4Rn and it seems to be helping some. Double tap works better but I shouldn't have to install the app to fix the issue. Factory reset is not going to fix the issue, that is the first thing I did when I pulled it out of the box. I think it has to do with the LCD screen or the process of how it is put together. I am going to keep using the phone to see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty