Verizon - Hard reset or wipe cache

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around and can't find the answer to this.

You can hard reset the phone by pressing vol down and power key once the phone is shutdown and when you see LG logo, let go of power and press it again while holding vol down all this time.

I, for the life of me, cannot get it to work on Verizon G4.

You don't have to factory reset, you can hit "No". Can someone please test if they can somehow get to that hard reset screen?

Samsung phones still allow recovery reset so I like that but I don't trust the factory reset through settings since it doesn't always wipe it all including cache.

I just need to do that and wipe cache as well to make sure I start clean. I'm on my second unit and it was fine for the first 10 hours and I'm having similar issues again :(
TIA.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
What issues are you having?

Battery is draining faster, screen is not as responsive, lags and stutters like crazy and just going from apps to apps is a chore. Just now I was typing something and keyboard got stuck on one word for like a second and it took a while for it to catch up. Just day to day tasks seem to be too much at times for this phone.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I did a hard reset maybe 4 days ago. On Verizon as well. I have been getting about an hour more of screen time. I was getting 3 to 3.5 hours on screen time now last few days been about 4.5.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Battery is draining faster, screen is not as responsive, lags and stutters like crazy and just going from apps to apps is a chore. Just now I was typing something and keyboard got stuck on one word for like a second and it took a while for it to catch up. Just day to day tasks seem to be too much at times for this phone.

I'm a heavy user and I haven't had any of these issues. Coming from a note 4 I think this is the smoothest android phone I've used minis the nexus 6. I'd do a hard reset and see if that fixes the issues. I did have battery issues. I did factory reset after about 9 days of use and it's been much better since.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset maybe 4 days ago. On Verizon as well. I have been getting about an hour more of screen time. I was getting 3 to 3.5 hours on screen time now last few days been about 4.5.

Can you please let me know the exact steps you followed for your hard reset using the back buttons and did you set the phone up using setup wizard or bypass then and setup one thing at a time?

Thank you!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
This should work to clear the cache partition. But read below before trying this. I'm not at all convinced your problem is caches.

To clear the cache partition:
1. Launch the Settings Application
2. Tap on the General Tab(if in tabbed view)
3. Scroll Down and Tap on the ‘Storage’ Option
4. Locate the ‘Cached Data’ Option and Tap on it
5. Confirm the Task by Tapping on the ‘OK’ Option
6. Reboot the LG G4

If after trying troubleshooting as described below doesn't solve your problem and clearing the cache partition doesn't either, you can try clearing app caches before resorting to a full factory reset. Do clearing app caches the correct way: Settings > Storage > tap Cached data > OK. Note: While clearing caches doesn't really hurt anything, cache files are there for a purpose and normally should be left alone unless you have a problem that you're fairly certain might be related to them.

With a little troubleshooting your phone can probably be straightened out without a reset.

If you have any installed, uninstall ALL task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up.

Uninstalling crapware may solve the sluggishness. If the phone is still slow, install System Panel.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1&token=Gn3WSQoj

System Panel makes basic trouble shooting of a sluggish device simple. Look at the opening screen, 1st one when the app opens. It gives the basic information you need. With the phone at idle (apps can be open, but nothing such as an active phone call or file transfer) check CPU and RAM memory usage (pie charts upper left corner).

Normally, CPU at idle should be less than 5-10%. CPU clock speed (top horizontal bar) varies but should be something less than max. RAM usage should be about 70-80%, unless you have recently rebooted and not yet opened apps to load RAM. You want to check these values after a fresh reboot, after some normal usage and when the phone has slowed. If CPU is high, look at the app list on the same screen. Check the CPU usage for each app (small vertical bar on left edge, next to app icons) for offenders.

If RAM usage is too high, again on the opening screen look in the Active Applications list. Check for a running app you have not used recently. It may not have closed or cached properly and is holding RAM.

If nothing seems unusual in the Active Applications, scroll down to Inactive (Cached) Applications. It may be harder to determine what belongs in this list and what doesn't, but if something looks iffy, particularly if it shows holding a lot of RAM, you can try long-pressing on it and select 'End Task'. If you select a required system process, no worry, it will just restart. If RAM usage returns to normal and/or the phone feels faster, that could be the offender.

Troubleshooting beyond this gets more complicated, but what is outlined above will find most problems causing sluggish performanc

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've been looking around and can't find the answer to this. You can hard reset the phone by pressing vol down and power key once the phone is shutdown and when you see LG logo, let go of power and press it again while holding vol down all this time. I, for the life of me, cannot get it to work on Verizon G4.

Have you read this AC article? How to factory reset and erase the LG G4 | Android Central It explains how to reset the phone and it doesn't involve funky key holding, etc.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I know how o factory reset but like I said, reset from settings don't always clean it all the way. I prefer from recovery or using LG's hard reset with key combo. It has worked better IMHO from LG Nitro HD days. Anyways, I guess I'll just keep trying. Maybe Verizon disabled the power button and volume down reset.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Are you on Verizon ?
Verizon phones seem to be having most the problems, and it's mostly likely because Verizon massively modified Lollipop for the phone.
People with the Internation, non-carrier, phones are not reporting many problems (if any) at all.

Fred

I'm a heavy user and I haven't had any of these issues. Coming from a note 4 I think this is the smoothest android phone I've used minis the nexus 6. I'd do a hard reset and see if that fixes the issues. I did have battery issues. I did factory reset after about 9 days of use and it's been much better since.