NOOB SD card and Music questions

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just popped in my new MicroSD card in and everything's fine...plugging the phone into my computer shows the drive like it should. Jumped in with both feet and started copying/pasting music from my iTunes library over.

First, it said "Do you want to convert song XYZ before it's copied", choosing yes...what is it converting them to? I assume this is normal? Then the popup said some files will not be able to be played on your device. Copy anyway? Is there a compatibility issue with iTunes music files? When I imported the songs into iTunes they were uploaded using AAC 256 kbs VBR by default. Any loss in quality if they're converted?

Second question - I looked at the contents of the card, but as the music folders were being added, I notice two things: There are two folders already on the SD card, Android and LG Backup, that appear to be copies from the G4 internal storage...assume the phone backed the originals up to the card before I started copying music over? Also, there is no Music folder on the card, but there is one on the G4's internal storage (Artist folders appear right alongside the Android and LG backup folders)...should I create a new one on the card, or copy/paste the one from the internal storage location to put all the Artist folders in?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not entirely sure which is the default format for iTunes, but the conversion changed it to, most likely .mp3. As for any converting issues, there may be errors in the converting process that might prevent the file from being played.

As for the new folders: The G4 probably made the folders upon inserting the Sd card.

To clarify: Your music is being placed on the internal storage, not the card?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I am not entirely sure which is the default format for iTunes, but the conversion changed it to, most likely .mp3. As for any converting issues, there may be errors in the converting process that might prevent the file from being played.

As for the new folders: The G4 probably made the folders upon inserting the Sd card.

To clarify: Your music is being placed on the internal storage, not the card?

Music is being copied to the SD card, not Internal storage.

I guess I'll find out ;). Was hoping for a simple solution to move my 26 GB library over. The iTunes songs are m4a type of files, and looks like they're being converted to .wma., which is why this is taking forever.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Don't do the "convert" process... I found that it messed up the "information" associated with the music on the files that were converted.

When I moved my music library to my phone I used the SD card (it's an ideal use for the SD card, as it's files that you don't care about if the SD card goes bad), and I created a Music folder for myself and then put the artist folders within there.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I found the best way to get iTunes on my phone is the app iSyncr. I use the Wi-Fi version. Good luck.

Sent from my LG G4

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
When you are done download the Neutron Music player because it will play just about any type of file and it sounds Sweeeeeeeeet. The LG player is slow as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

robmom71

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
When you are done download the Neutron Music player because it will play just about any type of file and it sounds Sweeeeeeeeet. The LG player is slow as well.

I use Neutron music player too. Works great. I also bought a USB SD card reader for a faster transfer rate.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, it said "Do you want to convert song XYZ before it's copied", choosing yes...what is it converting them to? I assume this is normal? Then the popup said some files will not be able to be played on your device. Copy anyway? Is there a compatibility issue with iTunes music files? When I imported the songs into iTunes they were uploaded using AAC 256 kbs VBR by default. Any loss in quality if they're converted?
AAC achieves better sound quality at the same bit rate than mp3, but it's still lossy compression (you lose some of the quality of the original unrecorded sound). A wav file, being uncompressed, will give you almost perfect sound reproduction (almost, because to get perfect reproduction the bit rate would have to be terrifically high) but the files are huge. FLAC is about the best compromise. But if the original was mp3, and it was re-encoded to FLAC, you get a perfect copy of the bad mp3 file. Only recording the original performance directly to wav or FLAC (or Apple's proprietary lossless format) will reproduce the sound as it was (as well as your phone's speaker can, anyway).

But expecting a cellphone to sound like you're sitting at a concert is foolish - the cellphone speaker can't reproduce that kind of audio quality. Even a good large speaker system at home is only a very close approximation to the original.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions to digest, It looks like the music made it to the sd card (converted to wmv files), but I haven't had time to try more than a couple songs out, which seem to sound OK so far. Not expecting my cellphone to sound like my DC player in my home stereo, but hoping no worse than my iPod ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty