G4 Pro coming

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, there was a thread about this a while back that I'm sure got buried.

I'd be real surprised to see this launch in the US. If the G4 didn't go as planned, they will be competing with quite a few new phones buy the time this launches. I can't see it doing great in the US either unfortunately.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
A 5.8 inch screen inside the same form factor would be great; but that's not going to happen. I think LG has nudged right to the tipping point of phone size for me with the G4 5.5 inch, and any larger will be too large.

pmjj

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
oh wow this sounds promising my be my next phone. Samsung would not give me a larger screen and sd storage so this may be my best choice yet!

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I hope I'll sprout wings and be able to fly, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

If you added 0.3" to the screen, the screen itself might already be wider than the g4. I'm sure they're trying to minimize the added bulk but I don't think it's realistic to ask for it to be the same overall size.

Speaking only for myself, 5.5" was already bigger than I wanted. I don't want phones to keep growing. Certainly not if only the massive ones will have the good specs.

I wonder if the Note 5 design choices (no SD, no removable battery) will increase interest in the G4 Pro. I hope so. I would like sales #s to help illustrate that not everyone likes the direction that Samsung is taking.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I hope I'll sprout wings and be able to fly, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

If you added 0.3" to the screen, the screen itself might already be wider than the g4. I'm sure they're trying to minimize the added bulk but I don't think it's realistic to ask for it to be the same overall size.

Speaking only for myself, 5.5" was already bigger than I wanted. I don't want phones to keep growing. Certainly not if only the massive ones will have the good specs.

I wonder if the Note 5 design choices (no SD, no removable battery) will increase interest in the G4 Pro. I hope so. I would like sales #s to help illustrate that not everyone likes the direction that Samsung is taking.

The Note 5 is the same width as the G4 with a 5.7 display so 5.8 could be a possibility. Or at least 5.7.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
You're right, thank you.

D13H4RD2L1V3, I apologize. I assumed it would have to be significantly larger in all directions if the screen size increased that much. That'll teach me.

Specs that I'd found a while back for the G4 and Note 4, and specs I just saw for the Note 5:
LxWxH, in mm
G4, 5.5" screen: 148.9 x 76.7 x 9.8
Note 4, 5.7" screen: 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5
Note 5, 5.7" screen: 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6

The Note 4 was longer & wider than the G4. But with the Note 5, they've actually made it *narrower* than the G4, despite having a larger screen. Impressive!

Granted, both Notes are still 5mm longer than the G4. But perhaps some very-clever packaging of the phone's internals can help minimize added bulk (or at least added length & width, if they decided to modify the thickness instead), even if LG increases the screen size.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You're right, thank you.

D13H4RD2L1V3, I apologize. I assumed it would have to be significantly larger in all directions if the screen size increased that much. That'll teach me.

Specs that I'd found a while back for the G4 and Note 4, and specs I just saw for the Note 5:
LxWxH, in mm
G4, 5.5" screen: 148.9 x 76.7 x 9.8
Note 4, 5.7" screen: 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5
Note 5, 5.7" screen: 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6

The Note 4 was longer & wider than the G4. But with the Note 5, they've actually made it *narrower* than the G4, despite having a larger screen. Impressive!

Granted, both Notes are still 5mm longer than the G4. But perhaps some very-clever packaging of the phone's internals can help minimize added bulk (or at least added length & width, if they decided to modify the thickness instead), even if LG increases the screen size.

S6 edge plus is only 75.6mm in width with 5.7 display.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If this is priced significantly more than the Moto X Style, then it's dead in the water in my opinion. Also, LG needs to put in a lot of work on the software (especially optimization and reducing lag) to make it worth a buy. I'd definitely like a bigger screen, but I'm going to need more than that to consider leaving my G4.

Kinda leaning towards the Huawei Nexus at the moment.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
If I'm remembering specs correctly, the Moto X has a permanent battery. So that's one thing the G4 Pro could use to differentiate itself from some of its competition, if the battery is removable.

I think even the regular G4 may already be priced higher than the X Style? My apologies if I have that wrong. But I'm guessing the Pro will be even more expensive.

It may be something of a niche market? Possibly appealing to people turned off by the features removed from the Note 5, compared to the 4.