Does Verizon just suck?

MrMario

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I bought an international unlocked LG G4 because I know Verizon G4s are missing some features.

Well turns out Verizon won't activate pretty much any unlocked phone.

So I have two questions:

1. Is the LG G4 verizon version even worth it? I notice a lot of you have sprint or at&t or t mobile.

2. Should I consider leaving verizon if i want "pure" forms of cell phones. I am waiting on a couple contracts to expire. I.E. Can i used unlocked phone on other carriers or will they be just like verizon?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a VZW G4. I don't really notice much difference between it and any of the other national carriers... except maybe the fact that it actually gets a 4G connection in every place I take it.

Perhaps you could expand on your concerns about it "not being worth it."

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I bought an international unlocked LG G4 because I know Verizon G4s are missing some features.

So I have two questions:

1. Is the LG G4 verizon version even worth it? I notice a lot of you have sprint or at&t or t mobile.

2. Should I consider leaving verizon if i want "pure" forms of cell phones. I am waiting on a couple contracts to expire. I.E. Can i used unlocked phone on other carriers or will they be just like verizon?

I have an unlocked G4 (H815) and if you want to use it, your best bet will be any carrier that supports GSM devices like AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA which is why they wouldn't work with any GSM device like your unlocked G4. I've read that Verizon is slowly integrating GSM into their network but I'm not sure if they'll allow you to use an unlocked device. You should def consider leaving Verizon if you want to use unlocked devices. Just make sure that whatever unlocked device you get supports the cell bands with whatever carrier you choose.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

So I have two questions:

There are many threads and mentions of problems with the Verizon version of the G4, but many people are happy with it. If it was me - I'd only buy it if it could be returned. The T-Mobile version of the G4 is well implemented.

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I live in a rural area and Verizon is the only carrier with service at my farm.
All the carrier's are way too expensive. As far as I can tell Verizon has the broadest nation wide coverage. (despite the smoke screens they all throw up to confuse the truth).
Do they suck? Yes.
But in fact they all suck. If you live in the USA you are going to get fleeced whoever you are with.

Posted via the Android Central App

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has always been awesome as far as I'm concerned. Best customer service I ever experience. Always an American that can understand what your saying and doesn't seem to just repeat what you say while they find the response from a script. Also, in my experience and travels, the network connectivity is far above any other provider, always being connected when traveling the highways. Yes they are a little pricey, but their fees have definitely come down over the years. You could always sign up online for a prepaid T Mobile account to use the phone. As long as you stay in a city, it will probably work great. Tmo just sucks if you go on a trip...almost no 4g/lte connectivity out on the road.

As to your specific problem, a lot of people activate unlocked phones on Verizon, like all of the Nexus owners. Maybe the unlocked G4 is not allowed for some reason. Have you tried just sticking your existing phones Verizon SIM card (with adapter if it's a different sized card) into the phone and booting it up?

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll not argue that Verizon has a strong network (the strongest). I've been with Verizon about 15yrs and traveled all over the country (and the world) with a VZW phone in my pocket. I always got great phone service . . . until now. For some reason in this market, T-Mobile is superior. Sure for some there are no "good" carrier options. I get that. While T-Mo definitely has broad weaknesses in network coverage, they are progressive and offer more customer friendly policies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Which carrier is better? ATT even more restrictive. The others have no coverage despite silly maps showing coverage where there is none

*depending on area -- It shows coverage all around my city and I get LTE all around my city ^_^.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Seriously though, carrier bashing is cool and all (since there's so few other places on the interweb to get to do it...) but does anyone actually have any substantive information as to the claim that the VZW G4 is deficient compared to the other versions?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Seriously though, carrier bashing is cool and all (since there's so few other places on the interweb to get to do it...) but does anyone actually have any substantive information as to the claim that the VZW G4 is deficient compared to the other versions?

I think it has to do with their tampering of OS updates. Whatever they're doing/adding/subtracting from the OS, its affecting many devices on their network. So much so in fact that it most likely requires a factory reset! Now, your average consumer won't know to factory reset after an update from VZW if their device is acting weird or simply malfunctioning. They'll just say that the phone is junk and need a new one. This is not a good thing for Android devices on VZW. I been through it with my brother and his G3 and just last week with his G4 after an update....phone would randomly heat up in his pocket and some serious lagging issues. I had told him to just get the new iphone but he decided to get the G4 because he was getting a good deal on it at Costco. Now I have another year to go through with him and whatever problems should come his way on his device, lol. I'm ready though thanks to you guys here on the forums! :cool:

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just wish they had the iPhone first, so I could have unlimited mobile data. When I went to the Android platform and Verizon in Q3 2011, this was no longer an option with new customers. :(

Does VzW have their flaws? Yes. But compared to other carriers I've had, they have by far the most upside imho.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile is great at releasing your personal data. I'm so glad I have Verizon as I was contemplating switching over a few months ago.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/03/t-mobile-us-incredibly-angry-at-experian-over-data-breach.html

..Sent from an XDA modified LG G4 on Verizon..

Actually T-Mobile didn't release the data, Experian did. Also don't think that was just T-Mobile customers or just cell phone customers. T-Mobile is just good at notifying their customers as soon as they were told about the breach.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This was Experian and anyone that applied for credit with a company that uses Experian, would be affected.

Attachments

• 1443887399512.jpg
    1443887399512.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 54

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just wish they had the iPhone first, so I could have unlimited mobile data. When I went to the Android platform and Verizon in Q3 2011, this was no longer an option with new customers. :(

Does VzW have their flaws? Yes. But compared to other carriers I've had, they have by far the most upside imho.

I've been with Verizon 15yrs before the iPhone or mobile data was even a conversation topic. I have unlimited data on Verizon.

Verizon just sucks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Verizon 15yrs before the iPhone or mobile data was even a conversation topic. I have unlimited data on Verizon.

Verizon just sucks.

I have unlimited data on T-Mo right now -- either way I must admit I love it. It is nice being able to pick up my phone and call,txt, or use as much data as I want :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress