Please give me some tips on setting up my new (refurb) S9, thanks!

dmusicant

May 7, 2020
Visit site
Just unboxed today, refurb from Brooklyn (blue, unlocked, "good"). Disappointed that the screen is scratched up all over but no big scratches so maybe won't notice.

I have had a few unactivated Android phones for a while for wifi around the house and music at the gym using headphone jack and quality earbuds, $30 LG Tracfones. All my activated phones have been Windows Phone, but that's dead, so I'm going to Android from here on out, figured I should get something better than those $30 LG Rebels.

I unboxed the S9 today, haven't set it up yet. Turned it on (accident) and turned it right off. Got the SIM tray out, have a new 128GB microSDXC card and can get the SIM out of the Windows phone, and figure it will work in the S9 (just called my MVNO, they think it probably will).

Questions:

1. Should I (immediately... well almost) upgrade the installed OS to Android 10? And if there's any options, what flavor of 10?

2. My Windows phone is AT&T and I'm with an MVNO, Airvoice Wireless and they only use AT&T towers. I have a $10/mo. plan and have accumulated $197 worth of roll-over minutes. AT&T has kinda weak service at my house, which is a major reason I almost never use minutes! I get calls on my landline, which is free for nationwide calling, a perk of my ISP (sonic.net). Verizon would very likely have much better coverage at my house and really around town (Berkeley, CA), but to go to Verizon I'd lose my accumulated minutes and have to get another provider. This phone being unlocked, the listing says can use CDMA or GSM, so can go either way. Advice?

3. Get case and/or screen protector? I was using a case for my Windows Phone, but no screen protector, but after almost 2 years the Windows phone's screen is pristine, I just don't know that I need a screen protector for the S9. Still, a post I read suggested that if I do put on a screen protector I won't notice the scratches on this refurb S9. Again, suggestions?

4. How to get my feet wet with this S9? I am pretty much a noob with Android.

Thanks for help/suggestions!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome!
1. Yes you want the latest security and update so go ahead.
2. It supports all 4 carriers
3.white Stone Dome is fully glued screen protector for curved display , little expensive but worth it . Just watch you tube video on it.
4.download Samsung Good Lock app in galaxy store , extra customizations.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
1. There is no option on updates when they come in. You get what's available for that phone.

Mustang has you covered with the rest.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
3. I'd suggest a case.

Some people never drop their phones & love the feel of the glass. I personally feel more comfortable if I have a case on my s9+. Hope you enjoy your s9.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
3. I'd suggest a case.

Some people never drop their phones & love the feel of the glass. I personally feel more comfortable if I have a case on my s9+. Hope you enjoy your s9.
I agree with you. The glass is quite slippery.

I'd suggest a clear case for someone who doesn't want to cover up the original design of the phone.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Just unboxed today, refurb from Brooklyn (blue, unlocked, "good"). Disappointed that the screen is scratched up all over but no big scratches so maybe won't notice.

I have had a few unactivated Android phones for a while for wifi around the house and music at the gym using headphone jack and quality earbuds, $30 LG Tracfones. All my activated phones have been Windows Phone, but that's dead, so I'm going to Android from here on out, figured I should get something better than those $30 LG Rebels.

I unboxed the S9 today, haven't set it up yet. Turned it on (accident) and turned it right off. Got the SIM tray out, have a new 128GB microSDXC card and can get the SIM out of the Windows phone, and figure it will work in the S9 (just called my MVNO, they think it probably will).

Questions:

1. Should I (immediately... well almost) upgrade the installed OS to Android 10? And if there's any options, what flavor of 10?

2. My Windows phone is AT&T and I'm with an MVNO, Airvoice Wireless and they only use AT&T towers. I have a $10/mo. plan and have accumulated $197 worth of roll-over minutes. AT&T has kinda weak service at my house, which is a major reason I almost never use minutes! I get calls on my landline, which is free for nationwide calling, a perk of my ISP (sonic.net). Verizon would very likely have much better coverage at my house and really around town (Berkeley, CA), but to go to Verizon I'd lose my accumulated minutes and have to get another provider. This phone being unlocked, the listing says can use CDMA or GSM, so can go either way. Advice?

3. Get case and/or screen protector? I was using a case for my Windows Phone, but no screen protector, but after almost 2 years the Windows phone's screen is pristine, I just don't know that I need a screen protector for the S9. Still, a post I read suggested that if I do put on a screen protector I won't notice the scratches on this refurb S9. Again, suggestions?

4. How to get my feet wet with this S9? I am pretty much a noob with Android.

Thanks for help/suggestions!

In regards to 4, once you get comfortable enough to start messing around with the phone, I'd suggest playing around with different launchers. As an ex Windows phone person, you'd probably have some fun with some of the custom launchers out there that can really bring a windows mobile like experiance to your android phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali