Any quality G4 compatible car chargers?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this car charger for a while now and it's starting to really frustrate me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LJ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4862456

When I had my M8, it worked great, especially with the QC2.0 port. I could get over 2 amps charging according to Gsam, and that's with the screen on and idle. When that phone broke, it still charged my Bionic just fine on either port. Got the G4 and everyone says it only charges QC2.0 with the screen off. Ok, I can live with that. I expected it to still charge with the screen on and in use, just at a slower rate.

As soon as I got it, I found that the phone not only doesn't seem to have QC2.0 utilized with the screen on, but is just super finicky all around. When using the OEM wall charger, I can use my phone as normal and it still charges fine. Even when gaming, it'll still charge. On the Aukey, I'm sometimes lucky if it charges at all on either port if the screen is on. I'll plug it in and leave the screen on, doing nothing but listening to podcasts and later see that the charge level has dropped as if it wasn't plugged in.

Unplugging and plugging it back in can help, but it's still super slow. The QC2.0 port is only useful if I plan to leave the screen off. Otherwise it never charges well and the standard charging port will actually charge faster. With the screen off, the QC2.0 port still never gave me the kind of current I saw on my M8.

I'm guessing it's a compatibility issue because the charger worked great with my other two phones and only started having issues with the G4. I know Anker is a popular brand, but I don't want to blindly try chargers. This is the first time I've experienced an apparent compatibility issue with third party chargers. At first I thought it was just LG being overly aggressive on temperature control, throttling the charge rates before the battery could even begin to get warm. Now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

icstars989

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I drive in a rough riding truck and wouldn't trust something like that hanging out of the 12V socket, plus the OEM wall charger on top of it.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I drive in a rough riding truck and wouldn't trust something like that hanging out of the 12V socket, plus the OEM wall charger on top of it.

If that's the case, you're right...too much sticking out and the wall charger would likely work it's way out, not to mention looks a little goofy.