Keyboard Is Blocking Word Suggestion Drop Down Menu

Adam_Guzmann

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I go to highlight a word to correct, and the dropdown menu appears, the keyboard blocks it. It's as if the keyboard is drawing on top of everything else on screen, it happens with all keyboards I've tried; LG keyboard, Ginger Keyboard, and Google Keyboard(my current).

Is anyone else having this problem on their phones? It seems like it started happening about a month ago, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could fix it?

Also excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section, I don't know if this is a problem with the G4 or if its with Lollipop in general.

You can see it in the attached picture.

Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4.

Attachments

• 38144.jpg
    38144.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 85

fonejacker77

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I've no idea what you're doing to get that drop down menu. When I highlight a word I get options to select all, cut, copy, paste, clip tray. If I want to correct/change a word on Google keyboard I click on it and then hold down the middle option of the suggestions row above the keyboard (the word with the 3 dots under it).

Posted via the Android Central App

Adam_Guzmann

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It's whenever I misspell a word, if you tap once on an underlined word then it brings up that menu like this:

Droped

Only problem is I can't see the whole menu, in this case especially I'm spoiled cause the android central editor is placed so above the keyboard, normally I can't see a single correction suggestion.

Attachments

• 38151.jpg
    38151.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 74

Adam_Guzmann

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
This is what I normally have to deal with.

In all honesty its a very moot problem and it doesn't matter all that much. It was merely a convenient thing that I got used to having and then it suddenly started acting up.

Attachments

• 38153.jpg
    38153.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 72

fonejacker77

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Ah I see what you mean. I've never noticed it because I have auto correct on and it seems to do a pretty good job of spelling things correctly when i do make a mistake. I've purposely tried to input errors to see the drop down menu and the spelling options show up over the top of the keyboard with the last 2 options being "add to dictionary" and "delete" in grey boxes with black text. Have no clue as to why yours would be behind the keyboard, sorry.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen that before. Do you have some sort of a spell checker running? I don't have that on my phone, but I've seen it before on others where it underlines the word and you tap it for options. My guess is it's something like that and may not be much you can do about it other than simply seeing if you can disable it.

Adam_Guzmann

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I too, use autocorrect, and I also use Google Keyboards suggestions, like displayed in the attachment, but when you spell a word that spell check can't comprehend, like for instance: jooloooosnsbab, and it should underline it, It has for every version of Lollipop I've used. If you tap once on that word then it should bring up a list of suggestions, I've attached that too, again.

There's no option in Language and Input to turn it off, and its functioning fine, I think the main problem is with my keyboard.

Attachments

• 38304.jpg
    38304.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 55

Itamar Regev

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey,
Have the same problem with my new nexus 6p and I just cant find a solution.
The only thing that I found that I can see all drop down wrod suggestion is to turn off the screen and turn it on again.
did you find other solution?
tnx

dankirkwoodjr

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I get this problem too; seems to be for words I did with voice-to-text. They get underlined so if I click them, I get the alternative choices, and of course, behind the keyboard. Even worse for google voice keyboard, cuz now the 'X' wont even close the keyboard so I can see the choices. I'm still looking for solutions, but I have a couple weird workarounds for now, that get me by.

1) My front touch buttons have qslide apps & when the word-suggestion list is behind the voice keybd, I can click the qslide-apps-front-touch-button, the qslide app choices appear, the google-voice-keyboard goes away and the wordlist stays, then click qslide button again, and everything goes away, but the list stays. Of course, the back button would have gotten rid of the google-voice-keyboard, but the list would have disappeared too. If the list isn't present, the X on the google-voice keyboard "does" work.

2) Another limited option, is "IF" you can stick with the swype keyboard with dragon voice-to-text engine, which isn't bad, the whole problem never happens for me in the first place, but also avoids google-voice keyboard at that point. I like google's better, but...

3) I'm really looking for a solution that will just get rid of the word choice list in the first place and hopefully "without" rooting the phone. :) It's hard to know if the whole problem is LG using a list created by Google-voice-to-text w/ a bad implementation or if it's Google itself doing the dropdown list; Idk.

4) Also, It all works beautifully with the drop-down list, the keyboards (whichever you use,) and google's voice/text keyboard, when it all occurred out of Facebook Messenger's chat-head chat window, I think because it's some kind of popup window, with the word-list suggestions being a popup, they come up over the keyboards suddenly and the the Back/X buttons work great. Only app it all works good out of the box, I've found.

Screenshot_2016-04-11-17-32-12.jpgScreenshot_2016-04-11-17-32-21.jpgScreenshot_2016-04-11-17-32-26.jpg

Last edited:

dankirkwoodjr

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there an update on this? My problem with the keyboard covering the drop down (plus other things) isn't solved, and I hate it 😥

The problem is gone for me. I don't know what caused it, but I'm not complaining. I was trying to avoid this step initially, but I finally did a hard reset to my phone and when coming back up, I did not automatically restore all my apps. All has been good since I did that. I went to the Play Store and downloaded everything one by one, my apps, alternative keyboard, etc. Before and after every install I would check that everything is still working. The problem has never come back, so I'm glad for that. :)

anon(5912037)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem is gone for me. I don't know what caused it, but I'm not complaining. I was trying to avoid this step initially, but I finally did a hard reset to my phone and when coming back up, I did not automatically restore all my apps. All has been good since I did that. I went to the Play Store and downloaded everything one by one, my apps, alternative keyboard, etc. Before and after every install I would check that everything is still working. The problem has never come back, so I'm glad for that. :)

Awesome! I'm glad it got solved for you. I really, really don't want to reset my phone. I hope I can work through this. Any kind of insight would be great!

MarkMessinger

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
In my case, the problem only occured after a hard reset and manual reinstall of all apps and everything (hours of fun). And it's not a moot problem. The impact of this problem is that I can never add a correctly spelled word to my phone's dictionary. My last name is "Messinger" and my phone now attempts to correct that, every time.

It would be great to get a resolution, but LG is not offering one yet, for my LG G4.

LgG4lover

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I fixed it by completely getting rid of the white menu
Go to settings -> General -> langauage and keyboard -> There is second option "Spelling correction" Go in and turn it off!
That's it. No white menu.
I don't need corrections. :cool:

anon(5912037)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I fixed it by completely getting rid of the white menu
Go to settings -> General -> langauage and keyboard -> There is second option "Spelling correction" Go in and turn it off!
That's it. No white menu.
I don't need corrections. :cool:

Haha I guess to me that's not really a solution. It still doesn't function the way it's supposed to. Plus, if I want to use it, I just can't
I'm happy it's your solution though!

elfconspiracy

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
I was having this problem too and I seem to have fixed it by turning off an app feature that was layered on top of the screen -- in my case it was ES File Explorer's "ES Swipe" feature.

George Byrd

Jun 25, 2019
Visit site
Hey Everyone/Anyone,

My problem is that I'm not seeing a drop down box at all! I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10+ from an LG G6. I know this is an LG G4 forum, but it's the only place I've found any references to this drop down box. Anyone have a clue how to turn this feature on? I'm currently using GBoard with the Google Voice to Text (Voice Keyboard?).

Thanks!

I was having this problem too and I seem to have fixed it by turning off an app feature that was layered on top of the screen -- in my case it was ES File Explorer's "ES Swipe" feature.

intika

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your hint, this was driving me crazy for a long time.... indeed this bug is triggered by apps using the permission "display over other apps"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer