The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

LGMOfield

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I am on my 3rd LG G4 in11 months.Now it is acting up again, screen freezing, text lagging and the display and volume will turn itself down by itself at the same time .
I have a lot invested in this , 3 batteries , Commuter Otter box case( like new used once, don't like it) a LG Circle case ( not worth $49.99) Otter box defender case( This one is brand new , on my third Otter box defender case , side tab clips on top piece won't hold taking the case off and on for changing cases and batteries) a nice red leather circle case by company called Juicy . A Spigen case like the Commuter case ( Light weight semi rugged case easiest to use changing batteries) 2 leather backs ,Sprint light blue and a Verizon black.
When this phone works it is a great phone and when it doesn't work it is very bad.That said I love the phone, had a G3 and daughter has G5 and loves it.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I really would like to invest in one or two more batteries because I use this phone to make YouTube videos. Both shooting and editing. But what's the point if the phone isn't going to last. I'm on my second one, three weeks in, and it's doing fine, but I'd also love to be able to have it paid off and get another phone.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
my 510 bootlooped last night. great phone when working :'(
Mine was a 510 as well. I agree it is a great phone. Battery life could be better. I'm lucky, with my usage, to get 3 hours of SOT. I know that battery life is subjective and there are a lot of factors that dictate how much usage a person gets. But I honestly would get more SOT with my Galaxy S3 a few years ago running a custom ROM and kernel than this phone. Granted it was a 720p 4.6" screen. But still.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My daughter's G4 shut down again a few weeks ago after already being replaced before. Sprint replaced it with a G5 at no additional cost.

Fingers crossed but so far the G5 is really nice.

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine died during a Thanksgiving dinner party as my son played a game. I was all set for years with two batteries and an OtterBox case. It lasted about a year and a half so I guess u was a lucky one. I hated the battery life, but otherwise enjoyed the phone.

Yesterday got a moto z play with an battery and Bose speaker mods. I already miss the call and text voice announcement feature and the knock to wake . I messed with it for an of hour screen on time and it dropped only 4℅. I like the feeling of 5700mah in my pocket with a 1080 sceen and having a speaker for conf calls.

(As I type this on my old droid Maxx still going strong). Bye LG.

Aeroshep1

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Almost a year to the day I had my second bootloop issue. It's out of warranty, Verizon wouldn't swap it out, but they did the right thing by moving up my upgrade date. Still considering what to replace it with, considering the V20, as I like the large screen. Went to LG website and put in a repair request, it's currently on its way to LG.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I think that LG has dropped the ball on this issue; should have a total recall with Good Phones that work. Their replacements even have the problem. I have moved on; now have an unlocked Nexis 6P (works perfect but takes a little getting used to for an old man like me). Just for grins joined the Google Beta program & am now on 7.1.1 (the real live 7.1 is supposed to be ready in Dec.)

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My daughter's G4 shut down again a few weeks ago after already being replaced before. Sprint replaced it with a G5 at no additional cost.

Fingers crossed but so far the G5 is really nice.

Bought my G5 day after launch. I'll admit, I've factory reset this phone twice. Really for maintenance, I do it with every phone. That being said, this phone flies. Great proformance. I've given thought to not upgrading this year actually.

Last edited:

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
My g4 started developing touch screen issues, freezes and image retention. Since I bought it in amazon I asked for a refund. I don't trust lg anymore. I'm probably getting a Moto z play or honor 8 next.

badgeking

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
So, my phone got the dreaded boot lock this morning. First I went to Best Buy but they wanted $150 to replace the device. Then I contact LG thru live chat and was basically told that since my warranty ended YESTERDAY, I am out of luck. The fact that this issue is SO widespread but LG is sticking to their warranty is a total joke and shows just how little they care for their customers. I was told to give them a call but I don't have another phone so I sent them an e-mail with the chat transcript. I really hope that class action lawsuit against them for this issue goes thru. They need to be taught a lesson in customer service when the issue is totally the fault of the company.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
So, my phone got the dreaded boot lock this morning. First I went to Best Buy but they wanted $150 to replace the device. Then I contact LG thru live chat and was basically told that since my warranty ended YESTERDAY, I am out of luck. The fact that this issue is SO widespread but LG is sticking to their warranty is a total joke and shows just how little they care for their customers. I was told to give them a call but I don't have another phone so I sent them an e-mail with the chat transcript. I really hope that class action lawsuit against them for this issue goes thru. They need to be taught a lesson in customer service when the issue is totally the fault of the company.
Try going through your carrier to get a replacement. It's also surprising to me that LG denied you. I was told and have heard they would still replace it beyond the warranty. I went to Verizon a month ago, 9 months into having this phone, and they mailed out a replacement to me. So you might try your carrier. If not, I guess you should look for a cheap phone on Swappa. I have 8 more months until this phone is paid off. I'm hoping that there will be some kind of promotion where I can upgrade early or that I can come up with the money to pay this thing off early.

Side topic, I think it's bogus that the carriers don't allow you to pay extra per month to pay it off early. No other payment plan is like that. If you buy a house or a car or anything on credit, you can always pay a little extra above your minimum payment. The fact that carriers won't allow people to do this is just wrong. You either have to pay the whole thing off or pay just the minimum payment.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Try going through your carrier to get a replacement. It's also surprising to me that LG denied you. I was told and have heard they would still replace it beyond the warranty. I went to Verizon a month ago, 9 months into having this phone, and they mailed out a replacement to me. So you might try your carrier. If not, I guess you should look for a cheap phone on Swappa. I have 8 more months until this phone is paid off. I'm hoping that there will be some kind of promotion where I can upgrade early or that I can come up with the money to pay this thing off early.

Side topic, I think it's bogus that the carriers don't allow you to pay extra per month to pay it off early. No other payment plan is like that. If you buy a house or a car or anything on credit, you can always pay a little extra above your minimum payment. The fact that carriers won't allow people to do this is just wrong. You either have to pay the whole thing off or pay just the minimum payment.

RE: Sidenote

Carriers are not able to offer because they are not licensed monetary institutions. Requirement if they were licensed, would be to have to re-amortize your payment schedule for your extra payments. Your government regulators put these safeguards in place for your protection...

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I was considering buying an LG G4 but have come across several articles about a 'boot loop' issue. Can anybody confirm before I spend money on a faulty phone wether or not this issue has now been resolved?

Guatiao

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I was considering buying an LG G4 but have come across several articles about a 'boot loop' issue. Can anybody confirm before I spend money on a faulty phone wether or not this issue has now been resolved?

Several owners have complained of having the same issue on repaired units, others in replacement ones. I guess it's rather safe to say that not getting a G4 would be a smart decision.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Lg repaired mine for no cost and I was almost two months past warranty. I would call them and complain that this is a common issue and see if they cover it

Boneman131

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Boot Loop just happened to my LGG4. Purchased in November 2015. I called LG Support and even though warranty had expired, they are issuing repairs for the known Bot Loop issue (one time). Free shipping, parts and labor. Gave me their Purolator number for shipping (I'm in Canada). 7 to 10 days for return.

Aeroshep1

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Almost a year to the day I had my second bootloop issue. It's out of warranty, Verizon wouldn't swap it out, but they did the right thing by moving up my upgrade date. Still considering what to replace it with, considering the V20, as I like the large screen. Went to LG website and put in a repair request, it's currently on its way to LG.

Got my G4 back from LG, same phone but new motherboard. Debating on whether to keep it or move on. The V20 is the only new phone with an IR blaster, removable battery, and micro SD card, as far as I know. I need all of these features, and I don't want to pay an extra $28 month for a new phone that doesn't do anything new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez