LG G4 - can this problem be fixed?

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everybody, I feel like I'm out of my mind with this phone. My main concern is when I am out, particularly at night, it seems I have to go through 5 screens to get to the "phone" screen as follows:

1. is the LG symbol
2. is the LG symbol with tones
3. is the screen with the pyramids at the bottom, and message notifications about half way up. These notifications cover the "swipe to unlock" feature. I can't 'swipe to unlock' as it disappears with in seconds.
4. is a screen with the temp, and some icons including the "phone" icon.
5. is the number pad for the phone.

There must be something better/faster/more convenient sure?

Thanks for any help. This is my first 'fancy' phone I it is not fun, heck, it's not even useful. When it's idle, the screen is big and black, with not so much as a blink, a date.......:'(

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to Android Central!

Could you show some screenshots so that we can better understand what you mean? It seems that the G4 might be your first full-fledged smartphone. If that's the case, welcome to the world of smartphones and welcome to the world of Android!

If I can decipher, #1 is what you see when you first turn the phone on, #2 is what you see shortly after, #3 is what you see after that "LG logo with tone" screen ends (that's called the lock screen), #4 is what you see after swiping on the unlock section (called the home screen) and #5 is the dialer, right?

Well, I don't think there is a "faster" way to start a phone straight from it's full powered-off state, but you can set shortcuts on the lock-screen and instead of turning the phone off, you can put it to sleep by just pressing the power button.

The shortcuts should already be on the lockscreen.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. How long are you pressing the power button to wake the screen up? Do you have double tap to wake option enabled?

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to Android Central!

Could you show some screenshots so that we can better understand what you mean? It seems that the G4 might be your first full-fledged smartphone. If that's the case, welcome to the world of smartphones and welcome to the world of Android!

If I can decipher, #1 is what you see when you first turn the phone on, #2 is what you see shortly after, #3 is what you see after that "LG logo with tone" screen ends (that's called the lock screen), #4 is what you see after swiping on the unlock section (called the home screen) and #5 is the dialer, right?

Well, I don't think there is a "faster" way to start a phone straight from it's full powered-off state, but you can set shortcuts on the lock-screen and instead of turning the phone off, you can put it to sleep by just pressing the power button.

The shortcuts should already be on the lockscreen.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi, and thank you for your replies to my problem! I have no idea how to do a screen shot (sorry)......this is my first phone after my 'flip' phone which served me well.

"If I can decipher, #1 is what you see when you first turn the phone on, #2 is what you see shortly after, #3 is what you see after that "LG logo with tone" screen ends (that's called the lock screen), #4 is what you see after swiping on the unlock section (called the home screen) and #5 is the dialer, right?"

Yes that is right. Seems not right to have to go through all those screens to dial 911! There was a fire when I had my flip phone. Just opened it up, pressed call, and dialed 911. With this phone it would have burnt down I'm sure!

I tried Google today.....they wouldn't believe my email, so had to create a new one......then they wanted a credit card #. Not happening.........also tried Twitter......it's not on the aps. I think I can manage that tho'.

This is the most frustrating experience in ages......especially as a 9 year old can do it........

Thanks everybody!

Jane

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I'm going to assume when you are coming from a flip phone that the whole smart phone thing is completely new :)

One difference you have to get use to now vs the ol' flip phone is leaving your phone powered on. It sounds like you keep it off and are cycling it on every time you go to use it? Just leave it on and charge it nightly. This will make that 911 call much faster.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
One thing you might have to get used to is keeping your phone on, though we call it "sleep mode". It's when the screen is off but the phone is still running, but in a very low-power state, so it will consume very little power.

The phone should do so automatically after a set period. This can be changed in the Screen Timeout settings found in the Settings app under Display.

(LG G3 - Android 6.0)

Attachments

• 22854.jpg
    22854.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 59
Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everybody. I've come to the conclusion that this phone does way more than I want or need. Along with the cumbersome size it doesn't get many merit points - but then neither do I. I think I will try to trade it perhaps for a phone that doesn't "do" all of those things. Surely not all Android phones are the same as the G4? The phone is brilliant for a business person; not so much for the dog walker/shopper, etc.

Too bad I can't find another iPhone 4s - I was coming along quite well with that one till I was told the motherboard was broken........

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, the Nexus might be a good fit.

But I actually recommend the iPhone for those who are switching from a flip phone and are totally new to smartphones, mainly due to its simple UI.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Well, the Nexus might be a good fit.

But I actually recommend the iPhone for those who are switching from a flip phone and are totally new to smartphones, mainly due to its simple UI.

I liked the iPhone, but yesterday my friend found his wife's old phone, which is Koodo, so he went right away, bought a new SIM card and put it on pre-paid. He was given a loooonnnng code that was a miracle fix -- he puts my SIM code into that phone, punches in approx the 20 number code and wallah! it is unlocked.........needless to say.......

Regardless, I like this phone and it's simplicity. Has all the settings, can surf web, small enough like the iPhone. If he's spent more money on this unlocking stupidity, I quit! I'll buy a new Samsung J??? (can't remember). I can't afford an iPhone plus I don't use a mobile nearly enough to warrant an iPhone.

I hope my reply to Stmax show up here. Totally out of the forum habit as well.......did you guess !!?

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi there. I'm going to assume when you are coming from a flip phone that the whole smart phone thing is completely new :)

One difference you have to get use to now vs the ol' flip phone is leaving your phone powered on. It sounds like you keep it off and are cycling it on every time you go to use it? Just leave it on and charge it nightly. This will make that 911 call much faster.

Posted via the Android Central App

My response didn't show up, but wanted to say that my ol' flip phone was on most of the time - in fact it still is, even tho' it only shows date etc. I only charged it when battery was getting low. Used it to set the alarm at times. All this to me is like the difference between an IBM electronic typewriter and a word processor! Both now defunct, but it gets easier, even real estate soft ware lol:)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everybody. I've come to the conclusion that this phone does way more than I want or need. Along with the cumbersome size it doesn't get many merit points - but then neither do I. I think I will try to trade it perhaps for a phone that doesn't "do" all of those things. Surely not all Android phones are the same as the G4? The phone is brilliant for a business person; not so much for the dog walker/shopper, etc.

Too bad I can't find another iPhone 4s - I was coming along quite well with that one till I was told the motherboard was broken........
Maybe exchanging it for a smaller one? Like the Galaxy S7?

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Maybe exchanging it for a smaller one? Like the Galaxy S7?

I am going to Koodo tomorrow w/phone and the unlock number. For what I need, it should be fine........if it doesn't work out, then I will get something like you suggested. When I spoke briefly to V.M. last evening, the sales rep thought that the G4 was likely stolen. I don't think that at all. In new condition, new battery, sim card in a little case. Not a scratch on it......and was in it's various pieces.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89