What do you like about the LG G5?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought it would be best to inject a little bit of positive energy in the G5 subthread since it's becoming rather negative lately.

So, what do you like best about the LG G5?

Personally, I think the wide-angle camera is a neat idea that will prove to be useful in many situations. I also liked how they managed to put a removable battery in a metal-clad device. Very smart idea.

(Yes, I know it's covered in lots of primer and paint that masks the metal feel, but it still kinda counts as a metal phone since it's made out of it)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not only does out count as metal....it is metal. What do I like about it? I love that the finish doesn't show prints.
I like the screen and phone size. Love the camera and I'm typically not a phone camera guy since I have a compact DSLR that I can fit in my pocket. Great pictures and love the wide angle. Can't wait to see the 360. Love the phones responsiveness and the screens performance in the sun. No more looking for shadows to read my texts. Battery life its better than I imagined Removable battery and micro SD is something I missed. Forget about swapping batteries. I love the fact that as the battery wears out I can just buy a new one instead of junking the phone if I want too hold on before upgrading. I now buy my phones since I refuse to give up unlimited data so of I can get millage out of this phone unless something ground breaking comes along I'm happy. The modular concept is a wait and see item because it may or may not fly. Love the fingerprint response. Sound quality is very good. I'd post more but gotta run.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Lot to like about the G5...
>Overall cosmetics, style and shape.
>Size perfect for me personally.
>Replaceable battery
>Expandable SD card memory
>SD 820
>FPS located where it belongs

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Another thing....since it has a removable chin I imagine if the type c connector fails we can simply replace the chin

fresca2u

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
My likes...
-Size
-Screen is beautiful to my eyes.
-Great battery life for me so far. All radios firing, 2 hours of screen time today, 80% battery left.
-Looks. To me, this is a fine looking phone. I put my phone in a case, I don't use it as a fashion accessory, nor do I want to show it off to anyone. So phone looks don't really matter a great deal to me. That being said, this phone is much nicer to look at that the black S4 it replaces.
-Type C connector. It's nice to not fumble around flipping a cable to orient it correctly. I got used to this convenience on my lightening connector iPad, very nice to have with the phone.
-Fast, fast, fast.

Osbie

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The look: I've always liked the front, but the back...I figured -throw it in a case and you wont notice. NOW, seeing in my hands...It's Really nice! Very subtle lines and the camera bump really isn't bad.

Screen:I too hoped for the "at least' G4 size screen but I really get the "just right" feel from this phone.

Fast.

Camera: seriously, the functionality of it is crazy.

Battery life, quick charge (charged my old phone and this one at the same time. the old was still in the teens while the G5 was near %80 !)

Fingerprint scanner is instantaneous, and i love the knock knock feature.

Always on display: heard a lot a guff about it being uselessly too dim. BS. I don't want nor need another beacon of light shouting the time. It's dim and easily seen in a dark room. When the light come up, so does it at the same ratio. Flip it over and it turns off ( for you battery saver fanatics).

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see some good feedback. I really want to like the G5 and have been considering picking one up myself. It seems that people either get a great device with no flaws or one that is riddled with issues.

Ki11aby7e

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I love...
-The size. Not too big but not too small either. It fits perfectly in your hand.
-Type C
-Fast Charging
-Audio quality is decent but will get better once they release that external DAC :)
-Wide angle camera is amazing
-Expandable storage and removable battery is plus
-SD 820 is lightning fast, no hiccups so far

probably the main selling point for anyone who has t mobile is the free 360 camera (retails for $200) and free battery with charge cradle.
Just sent in my promotion last night, should be getting it in 4-6 weeks.
BTW promotion ends 4/5/2016...so act fast! :)

Phyeir

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
So far...

-Camera is fantastic. The G4 was great but this one focuses faster and the photos seem even more crisp with better color representation.

- Battery life is stronger in regular usage. Video still drains like a mofo, but regular sutfing, texting, etc... It seems to lose less.

- Smaller form factor is even more comfortable in my hands. 5.1-5.3 is the sweet spot to me so this is great.

I've look at some other complaints people have and I don't have the big issues like bad backlight leak or sound issues. Also, I notice less antenna issues that the G4 had. So overall, great upgrade here.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
To sort of put it in perspective, I'm coming from years of Galaxy phones, my last being an S5 (which I loved).

The positives
- wide angle lens
- Type C connector
- fingerprint sensor
- the knock/knock feature
- suprisingly, the always on display (which, prior to buying the phone, looked fairly useless in the Verizon store lighting)
- I love the quick charge
- the replaceable battery
- microSD expansion
- the button placement. the biggest turnoff for LG phones was always having all the buttons on the back. Samsung always had everything on the sides. I LOVE the current configuration (volume on side, power/fingerprint on back). It's perfect for me.
- no physical home button (which only works because of the knock-knock feature)
- the IR blaster

The negatives
- the launcher sucks. Nova Launcher was an easy fix, though.
- the screen is too dim overall. Not only does it not get quite bright enough (especially compared to the S5), the default auto brightness setting is just a touch dim (for example, i find myself occasionally adjusting it, especially in very dark situations).
- the fact that they eliminated some available android features (such as the split screen.....why not have that???)
- the battery life is meh
- the 32gb memory should be 64gb. either increase the internal memory or allow the user to put some app data on microSD (which goes back to not having some android features)

Neutral - I couldn't care less about metal or plastic. I've never had a single problem with plastic smartphones. None. Also, the looks of a phone really don't mean much to me either.

Last edited:

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I've used Lux auto brightness on my G2 and my G4. You can "train" it to adjust the brightness to suit your needs. There are similar apps that are probably just as good.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
To sort of put it in perspective, I'm coming from years of Galaxy phones, my last being an S5 (which I loved).

The positives
- wide angle lens
- Type C connector
- fingerprint sensor
- the knock/knock feature
- suprisingly, the always on display (which, prior to buying the phone, looked fairly useless in the Verizon store lighting)
- I love the quick charge
- the replaceable battery
- microSD expansion
- the button placement. the biggest turnoff for LG phones was always having all the buttons on the back. Samsung always had everything on the sides. I LOVE the current configuration (volume on side, power/fingerprint on back). It's perfect for me.
- no physical home button (which only works because of the knock-knock feature)
- the IR blaster

The negatives
- the launcher sucks. Nova Launcher was an easy fix, though.
- the screen is too dim overall. Not only does it not get quite bright enough (especially compared to the S5), the default auto brightness setting is just a touch dim (for example, i find myself occasionally adjusting it, especially in very dark situations).
- the fact that they eliminated some available android features (such as the split screen.....why not have that???)
- the battery life is meh
- the 32gb memory should be 64gb. either increase the internal memory or allow the user to put some app data on microSD (which goes back to not having some android features)

Neutral - I couldn't care less about metal or plastic. I've never had a single problem with plastic smartphones. None. Also, the looks of a phone really don't mean much to me either.

Think I'd agree with every point here

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I came from a black leather back G4....the upgrade is worth it in lots of ways, some down slides. Running stock with the exception that I downloaded the G4 UX 4.0 as I like having an app drawer etc.

Pros: Battery life much better, smaller feel to fit your hand, responsive, cameras are sharp, battery is easier to remove, quick charge and USB C are musts, power button and fingerprint on the back.

Cons: flat screen so some glare, not too bad though. The orientation or polarized sunglasses is not in landscape like the G4, I preferred the leather back feel to the metal, and they moved the volume to the side again...they should have left them on the back, much more intuitive.

Overall though, worth it. Not badly priced and the phone is still working like a charm with no hiccups.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

You know.. I had issues with the brightness of the screen at first. Then I figured it out that the auto-brightness can be trained to the way you like it over time. Just keep sliding it to where you like it and eventually you won't have to. And do it in every different lighting scenario.

I just shut the adoptive brightness off. And as far as the bright sun...

This is the first and only gadget that is could use in the sun. It took me awhile but the screen is great now. Don't give up.

This is an old post so you've probably figured all this out already.

I love this phone! I just wish I could get the B&O DAC module.

Last edited:

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from an S5.

For me I would say
Pros:
Good battery life.
Removable battery
Big enough screen but not a gigantic phone.
Fast cpu and 32gb of storage.
Expandable storage via SD card.
The cameras are great. Wide angle camera too.
Unlocked and compatable with all US carriers (rs988 model)

Cons:
Screen could be brighter and more like AMOLED of Samsung devices. Is too dim on auto sometimes.
Battery tray fit on some not perfect.
Usb C is too new and not comman place yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress