DO NOT BUY the Pixel 4 if you care at all about battery life!!!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There was a YT video where a guy did side-by-side opening of apps and the Pixel 4 was faster than other phones but when he tried to go back to the apps/games they opened right away on the other ones because they were still running, open where he left off in the background, whereas the Pixel shuts everything down and has to cold open everything. Even Google apps. To save battery because of the small battery.

58Gemni

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Happy Pixel 4 user here..... Have had them all.
I don't count SoT or spend time looking at the phone to watch the battery drain.
All I know is that after a normal week of config/play and battery break in time, battery is up to expectations. My daily use on the Pixel 3 left me with 30-40% and the P4 leaves me with just a bit more than that. More than enough for me and my usage.

I also appreciate the speed. No, I don't have a stop watch worrying about how many more milliseconds difference there is to load a screen. :)

Just passing on my perspective of usage between the P3 and P4.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this was just their way of enticing sales with a promotion that costs them little, since they get back a chunk of every dollar spent on Play anyway. Had they made the credit available immediately with the phone it might be easy to see it as a more insidious tactic as then you couldn't really return the entirety of what you purchased and would at minimum be stuck with what you had spent on Play, but they don't issue the credit until after the return period has expired.

That wasn't what bothered me. It was the promotion ending before any reviews came out, like they were trying to sell as many units as possible before reviews came out and potentially hurt sales. I mean other than the short hands on the tech sites got at the launch event, there wasn't much info out there for potential buyers other than the spec sheet. Before dropping that much money, I'd want to know a bit more about it personally.

As for the $100 credit, if it was instant and you used it before returning the phone, I'd imagine they'd knock.off $100 off the refund for the phone.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am not a fan of buying and returning stuff, nor do I want to waste time testing phones that have been tested already.
I am strong believer in reviews. Sometimes I even buy cars based on reviews without initial test drives. Always worked good for me, with exception of Mustang :)

As someone who's looking at picking up a new vehicle, I'd never buy one sight unseen. First, the reviewer isn't you, so what happens if the guy reviewing it is 5'6"' and you're 6' ? What might be comfortable for him may be uncomfortable for you. And who's to say there isn't an issue with the vehicle from the factory? A thorough test drive means you can catch potential issues before you leave the lot, because after that it becomes harder to get the dealer to take care of it. You may not have had issues yet, but that doesn't mean you never will.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
... In a recent study, it was determined that the actual average user uses about 3h15m SOT. Only the top 20% of users begin to use move than 4.5h SOT (Source).

While I get your overall point, if you are being a stickler for facts, that survey you referenced about SOT "looked at the data of 11,000 users who actively use the RescueTime app". So I would not say that is any representative data, or company for that matter. It provides 1 data point , from folks who use a specific app.

The truth is that the Pixel 4 is actually fully sufficient for the average user, and the 4 XL excessively so. ..

The FACT is that the 4 is fully sufficient for the average user, and the 4 XL is fully sufficient for 80%, both without a top-off during the day. This also means that for many it will not be fully sufficient, and if they are unable or for some reason unwilling to connect a charger, this might be a phone to take off the shopping list.

Again, these aren't facts either. Still I get your point, but it you blast someone for saying an opinion is a fact, and then basically yourself use an opinion as a fact, it's probably not the best way to make a point.

By the way, IMO I think the XL battery life will be fine for most folks. I am not sure as much if that is true for the 4 IMO. Time will tell for sure.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: DO NOT BUY the Pixel 4 if you care what people who haven't used it say about battery life!!!

While I get your overall point, if you are being a stickler for facts, that survey you referenced about SOT "looked at the data of 11,000 users who actively use the RescueTime app". So I would not say that is any representative data, or company for that matter. It provides 1 data point , from folks who use a specific app.

Again, these aren't facts either. Still I get your point, but it you blast someone for saying an opinion is a fact, and then basically yourself use an opinion as a fact, it's probably not the best way to make a point.

By the way, IMO I think the XL battery life will be fine for most folks. I am not sure as much if that is true for the 4 IMO. Time will tell for sure.

True, that's one actual data point, but at least it's one more data point on which to base a statement than the 0 used by the poster to whom I had responded. I would perhaps have better stated it as "if we choose to accept data from a fairly large study to at least be somewhat indicative of actual numbers, then it is more likely fact that..."

Mine was more of an theory with actual evidence supporting it vs a hypothesis based on speculation and hearsay that has abundant data directly contrary to it.

On that note, a second study still supports the general 'theory', though it too is of a demographic sample (as is any study), being of about 2,000 iPhone users running iOS 12 (but not requiring any specific app) who responded to a survey request. This one is actually pretty interesting, breaking down SOT of its polling by geography, age, gender. I expect the state-by-state numbers would be of very low reliability as on average that's only about 40 respondents per state, but at 2,000 in sum there is presumably at least a small amount of statistical significance for the whole.

ScreenTime_Daily_v3-1-565x1024.jpgScreenTime_Generation_v3-1-1024x680.jpgScreenTime_Gender_v3-1-1024x577.jpg

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: DO NOT BUY the Pixel 4 if you care what people who haven't used it say about battery life!!!

True, that's one actual data point, but at least it's one more data point on which to base a statement than the 0 used by the poster to whom I had responded. I would perhaps have better stated it as "if we choose to accept data from a fairly large study to at least be somewhat indicative of actual numbers, then it is more likely fact that..."

Mine was more of an theory with actual evidence supporting it vs a hypothesis based on speculation and hearsay that has abundant data directly contrary to it.

On that note, a second study still supports the general 'theory', though it too is of a demographic sample (as is any study), being of about 2,000 iPhone users running iOS 12 (but not requiring any specific app) who responded to a survey request. This one is actually pretty interesting, breaking down SOT of its polling by geography, age, gender. I expect the state-by-state numbers would be of very low reliability as on average that's only about 40 respondents per state, but at 2,000 in sum there is presumably at least a small amount of statistical significance for the whole.

View attachment 313093View attachment 313094View attachment 313095

Interesting. Small study, but that is basically in line with the other study too. Good stuff.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
As someone who's looking at picking up a new vehicle, I'd never buy one sight unseen. First, the reviewer isn't you, so what happens if the guy reviewing it is 5'6"' and you're 6' ? What might be comfortable for him may be uncomfortable for you. And who's to say there isn't an issue with the vehicle from the factory? A thorough test drive means you can catch potential issues before you leave the lot, because after that it becomes harder to get the dealer to take care of it. You may not have had issues yet, but that doesn't mean you never will.

I am 5'6'' :)

Cars I buy usually either have warranty or have bullet proof reliability. So there is no need for me to get in to pre-purchase inspections etc. I usually pick the car I want to buy based on specs and reviews, then I go to buy it, and test drive before paying

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am 5'6'' :)

Cars I buy usually either have warranty or have bullet proof reliability. So there is no need for me to get in to pre-purchase inspections etc. I usually pick the car I want to buy based on specs and reviews, then I go to buy it, and test drive before paying

As with most reviews, I haven't found any reviewers that seem to mesh with my way of thinking. Either I like something they don't or vice versa. A lot of people like the smaller GM trucks (Canyon & Colorado) for instance. I got one for a loaner, and what a horrible vehicle. I'm around 5'7" depending on which convenience store I'm entering (old Ron White joke) and I had to simultaneously lower my head and raise my leg to enter it. I've never seen one review say anything to that effect. Like you I'm not a big guy, so I shouldn't have an issue getting into all but the most compact vehicles, but I was happy to get my personal vehicle back and leave that Colorado behind.

And in most ways it's the same with electronics. I seem to have better luck with the ones that most reviewers pass up. They all seem to love Samsung, but I've never had one make it much past the warranty period (they've all made it to the end of the warranty period, but fail shortly after). That includes TV's, DVD/Blu-ray players, smartphones, etc.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Google pixel 4XL and have to say I am delighted with it. Sure, there were some issues but those have been resolved I just want to share with everyone my battery statistics at least according to accubattery. The battery, at least how I use it, is phenomenal.Screenshot_20191115-083449.jpeg

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Keeps getting better
0b0b715e89053163fc55aba11acbebbe.jpg