Am I alone thinking that the LG G6 doesn't get enough coverage?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
And I won't be surprised if the thread gets closed.

Theres an unusual amount of coverage and love for the S8 on AC. And this goes for every Samsung Galaxy phone, but more recently the S8. Obviously because it's just been released. This is a sort of thing I'm not quite sure how to put into words. Everyday there's something new as to why it's the best. They're somehow justifying the price tag compared to the other flagships out there.

I went into a TMobile store near me before I picked up the G6. I was deciding between the Samsung and the G6. Wait for the S8 or get the G6 now? I had no problem with waiting if I liked the S8 and I REALLY wanted to like it.

Putting it in the hand, it already felt super delicate. Although it was attached to a security cable and magnet, it still felt like a slight drop would shatter the entire thing. The G6 felt the opposite.

I played with both devices extensively and found no reason to pay $100+ for the S8.

But here it seems that they're trying to sell it to their user base by what they say and how they say it. They're nearly advertising.

I liked mobile nation's for their mostly unbiased approach. I mean of course Android central is going to lean towards Android and iMore will lean towards Apple. However, bias seems to be playing a role here in favor of one manufacturer. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I could be wrong, but I'm sure there are others thinking the same thing based on the articles that are released everyday.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site

Theres an unusual amount of coverage and love for the S8 on AC. And this goes for every Samsung Galaxy phone, but more recently the S8. Obviously because it's just been released. This is a sort of thing I'm not quite sure how to put into words. Everyday there's something new as to why it's the best. They're somehow justifying the price tag compared to the other flagships out there.

I went into a TMobile store near me before I picked up the G6. I was deciding between the Samsung and the G6. Wait for the S8 or get the G6 now? I had no problem with waiting if I liked the S8 and I REALLY wanted to like it.

Putting it in the hand, it already felt super delicate. Although it was attached to a security cable and magnet, it still felt like a slight drop would shatter the entire thing. The G6 felt the opposite.

I played with both devices extensively and found no reason to pay $100+ for the S8.But here it seems that they're trying to sell it to their user base by what they say and how they say it. They're nearly advertising.

I liked mobile nation's for their mostly unbiased approach. I mean of course Android central is going to lean towards Android and iMore will lean towards Apple. However, bias seems to be playing a role here in favor of one manufacturer. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I could be wrong, but I'm sure there are others thinking the same thing based on the articles that are released everyday.

I went to a T-Mobile store on Saturday, and the salespeople were REALLY talking up the S8 and S8+ to everyone in the store. I mentioned my G6 purchase to one of them, and he brushed me off... "yeah, it's good, I guess, but the S8 is AWESOME! Best ever!"

But is it? It's insanely expensive, fragile, hard to protect properly with cases and screen protectors, includes a Bixby button that nobody seems to want and that can't be remapped without third-party software, is loaded with unreliable biometric security options, and its fingerprint sensor is in the worst location I've ever seen on a modern smartphone - not to mention actual hardware (or is it software) problems, leading to pink-tinted displays.

So it's fast (with the 835 SOC vs. the 821 in the G6), pretty, has a great camera and comes with more on-board storage. In my opinion, those are the only advantages in comparison to the G6.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't say I entirely disagree with you. I admit though, ever since PokemonGo and then the front page redesign my visits to the front page have gone way down. I typically only visit if there's some story I'm looking for specifically, or I see a story I'm interested in posted on FB by AC.

We do have some forum members/volunteers that are doing some video reviews of accessories, I'm not sure if those are included in the front-page postings as well.

To be fair, I don't think it's that they're getting kickbacks for the articles it's just that the S8 was the most-recently released device with no other devices releasing within a week of it on either side. If you listen to the podcasts most of the core editorial team has bought their own S8 but has also used the G6 for some time. Give it 3 weeks, the front page will be flooded with KeyONE coverage instead, after the Google I/O coverage next week.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's a bit of a mix of things. Partly the Hype Train and there's definitely a lot of hype around the Galaxy releases on news sites and forums etc. Then there's Samsung's marketing which is HUGE. This phone is everywhere you look and read and Samsung pay a hell of a lot of money to put it there and in as many reviewers and store fronts as possible. They're hard to compete with and that's why they and Apple stand above everyone else.
You think it's just Android Central this phone is all over but I'm an active member on iMore and Windows Central too and the s8 is plastered all over the news feeds on those too and they're not even Android sites

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I played with both devices extensively and found no reason to pay $100+ for the S8.

But here it seems that they're trying to sell it to their user base by what they say and how they say it. They're nearly advertising.

The AC forum mods probably won't lock or delete this thread. They're very reasonable and often encourage community members to share their opinions in a civil manner.

Sure, you're not the only one who thinks this place has been Samsung Central lately. It's for good reason because the Galaxy S devices are what people want to know about. Samsung's marketing and notoriety are right up there with Apple. Think of the brand as a locomotive speeding down the tracks.

AC isn't biased in my mind, because they post things that aren't liked about the S8. They even posted a video about a shattered infinity display. Fingerprint sensor, Iris scanner, a not quite ready for primetime Bixby and so on.

Hang out on the forums, listen to some podcasts and watch some videos. You'll see that the AC writers have different opinions like we do. They can agree to disagree and respect each others' perspectives.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know. I thought the AC review of the G6 was pretty much positive. And they always have a lot more coverage in the days leading up to and after the device's release. I've also seen them criticize when they see problems (location of the fingerprint sensor comes to mind).

To be honest, I guess they are really both great devices overall.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of it is that people want to go with a name. They tend to go with iphone or Samsung. The vast majority of cell phone users don't want to examine what might be best for them, they would rather just follow the crowd and get what's hot. I don't mean that to sound harsh but it is true. There is a lot of choice out there and many people just don't want to take the time to research something. It's true for phones, clothing, fad diets, drinks....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The AC forum mods probably won't lock or delete this thread. They're very reasonable and often encourage community members to share their opinions in a civil manner.

^ This. Why would we close your thread? Why even start a thread off that way? If anything you're the one bringing negativity in right off the bat :p.

I will speak with my "mod hat" on for this post.

Threads only get closed down when they are nothing but toxic. We give it a few tries / temp lock / etc. but if people just keep going back to being toxic/rude/snotty (you get it) then we finally close it down.

I can say a thread won't ever be closed down for offering your opinions. It is when people forget that you can express an opinion without being super toxic that we have an issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Or they're giving their opinions? To you the phone doesn't seem worth it so what is wrong with them saying the S8 is worth it? So.. They shouldn't say something is worth or that they think it is the best just because it is a popular brand like Samsung? That doesn't seem fair.

You always have to remember reviews are the opinions of the reviewer. There is no 100% definitive "This phone is the best above all else!" when it comes to Android.

Well also .. The G6 was released first. When it was all I saw was G6 this and G6 that. You would see Samsung but mainly announcements and such.. Well now that S8 is out so seeing S8 articles makes sense.

Have you seen that they still post about the G6? I don't see where they bashed or said the G6 wasn't worth it. The reviewers just said they prefer the S8 but they post about G6 deals and say nice things all the time. Examples below.

T-Mobile is currently offering the LG G6 for just $500 | Android Central

The LG G6 features a 5.7-inch display with super slim bezels, a killer dual-camera setup and much more.

Grab an unlocked LG G6 for just $599 right now! | Android Central

The LG G6 is easily the best phone the company's ever made, and stands tall next to the Galaxy S8, which has overshadowed its North American launch over the past few weeks. But the G6 has a lot of things going for it, including a sensibly-placed fingerprint sensor (can't believe we have to say that), and a dual camera setup that is way more fun than it initially appears.

It's also got a much lower price, too.

LG G6 review: A return to form | Android Central

Should you buy the LG G6? Yes

Most importantly, the core experience of the G6 is flagship-class across the board, with a good-looking design, top-notch display, solid performance and battery life — and that's complemented by a surprisingly great camera setup with some really fun features. The G6 isn't exactly cutting edge in every area — LG tells me it deliberately isn't playing the spec game this time.

Regardless, right now, the G6 is a solid phone that I can absolutely recommend. The Korean firm hasn't achieved perfection here. Instead, it's a return to form.

Welcome back, LG.

So while I get you may say "It is all about the S8" but they posted a lot about the G6, said many many great things about it, and still point out good deals and suggest people to get it. Of course they're all about the S8 right now since it just released and is that "new hotness" as some would say. I am sure if I go over to any other Android site I will see more about the S8 then I would about the G6... which makes sense due to the S8 being again that "new hotness".

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Who knows. The G6 is great. Is it the best ever? No. I still think the Galaxy Note 4 is the greatest device that was ever released to man kind.

The S8 os just so ergonomically strange with the curved screen and odd placement of it's finger print sensor.

The mass market wants what it wants and I can't blame AC for marketing to them. We all want to make money. But come on. It's not the best phone out there.

I think the best feature it has is the Desktop feature which I'm sure could be a software update for other devices to be capable as well.

I never cared for the S line. The S7 was the closest to making it in my pocket and even then it fell short.

But I guess my opinion is not shared by the website and that's fine but let's not let this website be completely blanketed by articles of the S8s "perfection" because I believe it's far from that. Let alone the price.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Show me one article where anyone on AC has referred to the S8 as "perfection". Guarantee you won't be able to find one.

People have found a few flaws with the S8, more than the G6 actually.

Honestly, I think people see what they want to see.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is no doubt the top contender in the smartphone world with regards to Android devices. I've personally never owned one - maybe I will one day, but I was never "in love" enough with them to grab one - and so I too would lean towards the G6 if I had the option. Most smartphone users will jump to brands like "Samsung," "LG," and "Google/Nexus (of years past :();" but yeah, I still think Samsung has the top spot filled. Which isn't always awesome, because Android literally has a tonnage of options available for users.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I think a lot of it is that people want to go with a name. They tend to go with iphone or Samsung. The vast majority of cell phone users don't want to examine what might be best for them, they would rather just follow the crowd and get what's hot. I don't mean that to sound harsh but it is true. There is a lot of choice out there and many people just don't want to take the time to research something. It's true for phones, clothing, fad diets, drinks....
I went with the s8+ not because of the name but bcause i quite enjoyed it compared to the g6 i like the bigger screen (coming from note 4)didn't see much that attracted me to the g6 yes it looks classy and good though doesn't suit me well. Also note that not every negative is one for everyone, ie : fingerprint sensor or iris scanner work wonders for me but won't for alot of people. Everyone's taste are different i like the edges some don't if the s8 wasn't out yet i would have gladly taken a g6 instead.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm over speculative. I felt as if I saw a bias. And it was my mistake to post this in the G6 forum as I wasn't comparing directly to this one device.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I swapped an S8 out for a G6 and geot money back... the camera is very good but nothing special, its thin slim profile make it hard and slippery to hold... theres nothing to grip on the S8.. Its very fragile and for me, I know Bixby is new.. but I just couldnt find a use for it over Google Assistant.

I did struggle with buying the G6 in UK (nearly bought a Huawei P10 plus).. we get no DAC / No wireless / only 32GB model... I think LG must dislike the UK.. we dont even get the V10 / 20 and probably not the 30.

I think there is a bias towards the S8 in stores and on TV/Media adverts, not on here... The G6 stamps over the S8 camera, its wide angle is stunning, better OS and UI.. and to me, the platinum G6 looks Gorgeous over the Orchard S8.. already ben asked what phone it is..

The thing is.. 80% of the buying public ill just buy what theyre used to Samsungs or iPhones and they are the 16 MPx is better than 12Mpx because 16 is a bigger number so it must be better..

Im really losing interest now in phones and specs, because devices are getting so good.. cameras, battery, UI, speakers, waterproofing, wireless.. theyre all pretty much the same, they just look different..

I just enjoy my device now.. because, theres just too much media being shoved down our throats telling us what to buy and what we have got now isnt good enough, (thats everything btw.. not just phones) .... that its pointless following anything... its all just an onslaught to the senses .. and Im just kinda sick of it tbh :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
More people are interested in the S8/S8+ - so it would make sense that there are more resources devoted to it. I don't think there's a bias in favor of any OEM over another.