NOT your mom's smartphone

gatorboi352

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I am baffled by the notion of this phone being some sort of "starter" phone or a smart phone for your mom. If that's the case, then the iPhone is a phone for my grandma. I get the price of entry being $0 on contract and all, but in regards to that this is the phone of the year. In the past, phones like the Lucid 2 debut for $99 easily, and sometimes $149 on contract. Then you consider Android 4.1.2 with a 1.2GHz dual core and 1GB of RAM? Yes please! LG has a sleeper hit on their hands and I've been using Androids for 2+ years now. 4.3" is truly the sweet spot between having a mini-tablet (seems to be the rage these days), and having something too small to function ala an iPhone (although the 5 is a step in the right direction but not for $200 on contract).

2 years ago the Lucid 2 couldn't even be fathomed, yet here we are with it being a free phone on contract in 2013. The Android Central review is absolutely spot on and I 100% agree.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Not particularly familiar with this phone, but I agree with you to a great extent. For most owners, this is all the phone they need. But 1.2 GHz and 1 GB of memory is definitely a row behind the latest and greatest, which offer speeds of from 1.5 to 1.9 GHz, and typically 2 GB of memory. For heavy multi-taskers or game players, the extra capabilities of the latest phones do make a difference.

You need to remember that the people who hang out on sites like this aren't the normal phone user. Anything but the newest and most powerful is a "Mom phone" to a lot of people.

But for free? This is a great device!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone for my mother because I wanted her to have a good phone with decent specs and yes, the FREE part was the topper on the cake.

This little phone rocks. I have a Rezound and I am totally jealous of how lightweight the Lucid 2 phone is, how much better the battery is and it has Jelly Bean.

Unlike the newish HTC DNA, which does have a beautiful screen and I do like the size, this little guy supports SD cards. Oh, and the call quality, especially on the speaker, is far better than my Rezound.

For a lot of people out there, this is really all the phone they need.

ried16

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
im looking at getting one of these and I was browsing thru the passmark overall and cpu rankings and this phone ranks higher than all the 1.5 kraits and 1.5 snapdragons. that includes all the razr's and the lg spectrums which are 1.5 kraits. why is that?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
im looking at getting one of these and I was browsing thru the passmark overall and cpu rankings and this phone ranks higher than all the 1.5 kraits and 1.5 snapdragons. that includes all the razr's and the lg spectrums which are 1.5 kraits. why is that?

The screen resolution is much lower. 960x540 vs 1280x720. The LG doesn't need to render nearly as many pixels for a given screen.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with other comments, this phone is packing a lot of capability for its free-on-contract price. 8GB on board with 1GB ram is a little low to consider it running at the top with the big boys. But it is a great choice for anyone that wants a small phone.

I ordered one for my wife yesterday. I'm anxious to charge it up and get it setup.

-Suntan

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I actually just picked this phone up today for my mom. It's her first smartphone. The sales rep showed it to us n stated that it is a great "starter" phone for someone getting their first smartphone. My mom has been playing around with it n loves it.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

gatorboi352

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually just picked this phone up today for my mom. It's her first smartphone. The sales rep showed it to us n stated that it is a great "starter" phone for someone getting their first smartphone. My mom has been playing around with it n loves it.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

As happy as I am for your mom, I still don't understand how this phone is a "starter" phone. I'm guessing its the $0 entry cost because functionally it's just like any other Android with 4.1.2 to boot.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Android Central Forums

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm still going strong with the orginal Lucid. My phone is still going strong, good battery life.....about a day and a half with moderate to heavy use. I am due for an upgrade and to be honest.......Lucid 2 is my choice but I'm going to stick with this one for now. I haven't seen any bad reviews, complaints on either Lucid.......but I have read alot of bad things on the S4. I'm sticking with a company that believes in quality in there products.

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just got one on Friday since my thunderbolt flat out died in mid use. Had to pay full price so this was the cheapest option. Not happy with Verizon but I am happy with LG and the quality phone I got for that price tag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez