1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Out of Storage

Need help. I am getting the message that my phone's storage is full
    I have removed all my email messages, all my text messages, and all my photos. When I try to send a txt message I get this:
    "Phone storage is full! Delete some files to free space."

So what do I delete? I have a number of non-default apps installed (Facebook, Dropbox, Evernote, Aldiko, Chrome, Instagram, Starbuck's, Gyro, a local TV weather app, and mobile banking app, and maybe others). I have 4 Gb system memory and 4 Gb internal memory. It is the system memory that is nearly full, 1.s Gb for apps, 2.62 Gb for system data,and 137 Mb available.I have a 2 Gb SD card that is clear.

How can I remedy this situation?

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Out of Storage

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownGreg View Post
    Need help. I am getting the message that my phone's storage is full
    I have removed all my email messages, all my text messages, and all my photos. When I try to send a txt message I get this:
    "Phone storage is full! Delete some files to free space."

So what do I delete? I have a number of non-default apps installed (Facebook, Dropbox, Evernote, Aldiko, Chrome, Instagram, Starbuck's, Gyro, a local TV weather app, and mobile banking app, and maybe others). I have 4 Gb system memory and 4 Gb internal memory. It is the system memory that is nearly full, 1.s Gb for apps, 2.62 Gb for system data,and 137 Mb available.I have a 2 Gb SD card that is clear.

How can I remedy this situation?
    Welcome to the forums.
    What version of Android do you have? You can look by going to Settings>About phone> Android version should be the 5th or 6th line down.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

1. see what's using all of your Internal Storage -->Settings-->Storage-->Click on Each (Apps, Pictures, etc.) and it will tell you. then delete what is not necessary (make sure everything is backed up via Google/Gmail and Dropbox etc.)
    2. if all else fails - do a nuclear hard reset back to factory state and then manually reinstall/resync everything. make sure everything is backed up first!

good luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    What version of Android do you have?
    Android version 4.0.4
    Build number IMM76D
    Software version VS840ZV9
    Other numbers are there if you need to know them. Thanks

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Android version 4.0.4
    Build number IMM76D
    Software version VS840ZV9
    Other numbers are there if you need to know them. Thanks
    Nope, that is enough.
    If you wish, you can disable some of those apps you don't use. Here is how: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps

This might create more space, due to uninstalling updates for apps you don't need/use.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Nope, that is enough.
    If you wish, you can disable some of those apps you don't use. Here is how: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps
    This might create more space, due to uninstalling updates for apps you don't need/use.
    Thanks so much... this seems to have done the trick!

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks so much... this seems to have done the trick!
    Great. Glad that worked.
    Question: Has the device been updated since you got it?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Great. Glad that worked.
    Question: Has the device been updated since you got it?
    Not sure. I'm new to smartphones, so I don't know about updating. What's involved, and can I do it myself?

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Not sure. I'm new to smartphones, so I don't know about updating. What's involved, and can I do it myself?
    I was wondering for a different reason. I just found out that your device did get updated at some point in time. It originally came with Android 2.3 and you have 4.0.4.

I was thinking to suggest to reboot into recovery to clear the system cache. However, the instructions I found were rather cryptic and without any sort of pictures, may be difficult to follow if you are actually trying it, especially for the first time.

Here is the link I found for it:

If you want to know more about recovery, here you go: [Guide] [Info] Custom recoveries versus Stock. Is there a difference?

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Another guide by a fellow Ambassador that may help too: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Another guide by a fellow Ambassador that may help too: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings
    Thanks so much. These guides will help me to learn a bit more. It is appreciated....

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks so much. These guides will help me to learn a bit more. It is appreciated....
    No sweat. Here is where most of them are located: Ambassador Guides, Tips & How-To's - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com