Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Unhappy Out of Storage

    Need help. I am getting the message that my phone's storage is full
    I have removed all my email messages, all my text messages, and all my photos. When I try to send a txt message I get this:
    "Phone storage is full! Delete some files to free space."

    So what do I delete? I have a number of non-default apps installed (Facebook, Dropbox, Evernote, Aldiko, Chrome, Instagram, Starbuck's, Gyro, a local TV weather app, and mobile banking app, and maybe others). I have 4 Gb system memory and 4 Gb internal memory. It is the system memory that is nearly full, 1.s Gb for apps, 2.62 Gb for system data,and 137 Mb available.I have a 2 Gb SD card that is clear.

    How can I remedy this situation?
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownGreg View Post
    Need help. I am getting the message that my phone's storage is full
    I have removed all my email messages, all my text messages, and all my photos. When I try to send a txt message I get this:
    "Phone storage is full! Delete some files to free space."

    So what do I delete? I have a number of non-default apps installed (Facebook, Dropbox, Evernote, Aldiko, Chrome, Instagram, Starbuck's, Gyro, a local TV weather app, and mobile banking app, and maybe others). I have 4 Gb system memory and 4 Gb internal memory. It is the system memory that is nearly full, 1.s Gb for apps, 2.62 Gb for system data,and 137 Mb available.I have a 2 Gb SD card that is clear.

    How can I remedy this situation?
    Welcome to the forums.
    What version of Android do you have? You can look by going to Settings>About phone> Android version should be the 5th or 6th line down.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    1. see what's using all of your Internal Storage -->Settings-->Storage-->Click on Each (Apps, Pictures, etc.) and it will tell you. then delete what is not necessary (make sure everything is backed up via Google/Gmail and Dropbox etc.)
    2. if all else fails - do a nuclear hard reset back to factory state and then manually reinstall/resync everything. make sure everything is backed up first!

    good luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    What version of Android do you have?
    Android version 4.0.4
    Build number IMM76D
    Software version VS840ZV9
    Other numbers are there if you need to know them. Thanks
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownGreg View Post
    Android version 4.0.4
    Build number IMM76D
    Software version VS840ZV9
    Other numbers are there if you need to know them. Thanks
    Nope, that is enough.
    If you wish, you can disable some of those apps you don't use. Here is how: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps

    This might create more space, due to uninstalling updates for apps you don't need/use.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Nope, that is enough.
    If you wish, you can disable some of those apps you don't use. Here is how: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps
    This might create more space, due to uninstalling updates for apps you don't need/use.
    Thanks so much... this seems to have done the trick!
  7. #7  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownGreg View Post
    Thanks so much... this seems to have done the trick!
    Great. Glad that worked.
    Question: Has the device been updated since you got it?

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Great. Glad that worked.
    Question: Has the device been updated since you got it?
    Not sure. I'm new to smartphones, so I don't know about updating. What's involved, and can I do it myself?
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownGreg View Post
    Not sure. I'm new to smartphones, so I don't know about updating. What's involved, and can I do it myself?
    I was wondering for a different reason. I just found out that your device did get updated at some point in time. It originally came with Android 2.3 and you have 4.0.4.

    I was thinking to suggest to reboot into recovery to clear the system cache. However, the instructions I found were rather cryptic and without any sort of pictures, may be difficult to follow if you are actually trying it, especially for the first time.

    Here is the link I found for it:

    If you want to know more about recovery, here you go: [Guide] [Info] Custom recoveries versus Stock. Is there a difference?

    Any questions, feel free to ask.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Another guide by a fellow Ambassador that may help too: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Another guide by a fellow Ambassador that may help too: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings
    Thanks so much. These guides will help me to learn a bit more. It is appreciated....
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Out of Storage

    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownGreg View Post
    Thanks so much. These guides will help me to learn a bit more. It is appreciated....
    No sweat. Here is where most of them are located: Ambassador Guides, Tips & How-To's - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Similar Threads

  1. lg g2 widget i cant get rid of, please help!!
    By skarfs84 in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
  2. Galaxy s4 , USB icon doesn't appear in the top of the screen
    By guebel in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 08:20 PM
  3. Get Rid of Voicemail Notification?
    By MacSparkle in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM
  4. Flashed A Nightly and My Phone Died of Heat!
    By Luis Jimenez5 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 05:00 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

B