GPS turns on during phone calls

Weckljr

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gps turns on during phone calls

Do this set up and trust me! everything is gonna go back to normal.

Turn On your access location, check the wifi and mobile location and uncheck the gps sattellite.

I was soooo mad and pissed off before because the gps was turning ON every effin 5 mins!! Or everytime Im calling someone. So try this I'll bet you that it will work.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you so very much! You might have just saved me from a future in a padded cell if I didn't get this issue fixed very soon. It's still disappointing that we, the user, are forced to allow Google's location data collection. Either way, you have been much more helpful than any of AT&T or LG's customer service people. Thanks again, friend.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't follow what you mean by getting a store model phone to do it???

Posted via Android Central App

If u go in and they say its just ur phone try to get the store model to get the gps to turn on. That way they will believe u that its not just ur phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Thank you so very much! You might have just saved me from a future in a padded cell if I didn't get this issue fixed very soon. It's still disappointing that we, the user, are forced to allow Google's location data collection. Either way, you have been much more helpful than any of AT&T or LG's customer service people. Thanks again, friend.

Thank mrbrowntiger for this because he was the one who discover it :)

cchungcc

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I believed that the problem is related to the Carrier IQ installed in the LG Optimus G Pro. I checked the phone and the Carrier IQ is in there. It is the probable cause of the GPS turning on during incoming or outgoing call. There is the possible reason why the phone is still behaving the same after we reset the phone.

joeian

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

So do we think this phone will never be right ive been having same problems with mine too not happy with phone at all and i just want that dam gps to stay off lol

amigotboyz4

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I am on my third phone because of this GPS issue. It just started up again without installing any updates or new apps. I am going to the store today to get a different phone. I have been with LG forever and this phone is a joke with its GPS issue and obviously it is not just me!

cchungcc

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Please make sure not to get the LG G2! Someone from the AT&T forum indicated the LG G2 has the Carrier IQ and the GPS is also acting up as well. I am planning to replace my wife's phone with the Samsung G4 instead. I checked the phone and it does not Carrier IQ in it.

cleankutazn

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Since I resolved this gps problem by just turning on access location, maybe before my warranty expires I'll go to atnt retail store and show them that my fone is defective so I can replace a new one just within a year lol.

That was my plan also :)

cleankutazn

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Please make sure not to get the LG G2! Someone from the AT&T forum indicated the LG G2 has the Carrier IQ and the GPS is also acting up as well. I am planning to replace my wife's phone with the Samsung G4 instead. I checked the phone and it does not Carrier IQ in it.
There's no way to remove the carrier IQ thing?

Metal Chaos

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Are you actually able to obtain a different make and model from AT&T by just complaining? Do they make you pay extra or anything? This is getting crazy. I love this phone though, but if I traded for anything, I'd rather have a Galaxy Note 3 than anything else.

idlewire

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

This just started happening to me after about 10 days of having the phone. Funny how it doesn't start acting up right away.

"Carrier IQ" definitely looks to be the culprit here. You can kill the service, in Settings > Apps > Running > Android System. There you will see it and can Stop it.

This has solved the issue for me. Unfortunately, without rooting, you will have to do this whenever you reboot your phone.

Last edited:

amateur_android_user

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

This just started happening to me after about 10 days of having the phone. Funny how it doesn't start acting up right away.

"Carrier IQ" definitely looks to be the culprit here. You can kill the service, in Settings > Apps > Running > Android System. There you will see it and can Stop it.

This has solved the issue for me. Unfortunately, without rooting, you will have to do this whenever you reboot your phone.

My new replacement phone just this morning started acting up again with the GPS after 2 weeks and 2 days. I knew it was to good to be true. But thanks to idlewire's post I was able to banish the GPS forever! I was about to give up on this awesome phone but, your posting came at the perfect time 😉

joeian

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Have a ? If we stop app will the phone act up with this off and not do certain things

amateur_android_user

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Have a ? If we stop app will the phone act up with this off and not do certain things

No it sure doesn't act up one bit. It performs the same way it does with it turned on except without the annoying GPS turning on whenever it feels like it.

Metal Chaos

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm kinda tempted to trade this phone in for a Galaxy Note 3. Would AT&T allow this or would they charge me money too? I feel like this is an invasion of my privacy and it's killing my battery.

amateur_android_user

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm kinda tempted to trade this phone in for a Galaxy Note 3. Would AT&T allow this or would they charge me money too? I feel like this is an invasion of my privacy and it's killing my battery.

Look at idlewires posting it will tell you how to kill the GPS. And I highly doubt ATT will let you trade your LG for a Samsung Note 3 but good luck.

Metal Chaos

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Look at idlewires posting it will tell you how to kill the GPS. And I highly doubt ATT will let you trade your LG for a Samsung Note 3 but good luck.

Nah, I killed it a while ago. Just wondered about the Note 3 though, as I have a Note 8.0" and wanted a matching phone :p . Only thing bothering me about this phone is it seems sluggish sometimes.