AT&T Post KitKat Update problems / Issues Anyone?

naturalmommy87

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
My major issue is that apps are now constantly crashing, it updated Facebook without my permission, no longer allows me to uninstall Facebook or the Facebook update, Facebook now takes forever to upload pictures and videos, and when calling people through messaging app I have to press the call button twice for it to finally call. I've had to shut my phone off multiple times when it freezes. Is there any way to uninstall the update without doing a factory reset?

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
For me:

Major issue #1: My playlists were emptied after the update. They were still there but they all had zero songs in them. I couldn't find any way to recover them, so I guess I'm having to repopulate them manually.

I found the empty playlists in the stock music player, however Rocket Player/iSyncr seems to have found the original playlists I had before the forced update.

I'm personally annoyed by the keyboard layout changes, since all the symbols on the LG keyboard have moved. The previous layout made sense if you already knew how to type. The new one seems to rely largely on the symbol shapes being similar to the letter key they're stuck onto. It's effectively a l33t layout rather than any professional standard layout.

I also hate the intrusiveness of the new QuickMemo -- press down in the lower right of the screen, and this pad with QM & Google pops up.

Similarly, is there any way to disable the "add widgets now" thing that pops up while trying to swipe open the LOCK SCREEN? What genius came up with that idea and no apparent way to turn it off?

(Was forced to update last night. Will be rooting this phone RSN)

Posted via Android Central App

Cami Sims Swetnam

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
My signal strength is definitely lower. But my biggest issue is that I cannot receive photos in my text messages. I can send them, but cannot receive. I Googled this problem, and found it was a known problem with the LG G2 update. It was said it was a software issue that cannot be rectified and they were being offered new phones - not LG phones, but Samsung or iPhones. I love my Optimus G Pro, but we just moved to Florida from Missouri and I need to be able to receive pictures from my family. This is not good. I also seem to have lost some of the pictures in my Gallery.

teh bryan

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
MY battery life is horrible.
I can't send or receive texts. matter of fact the texting app crashes or freezes ph when opened.
several other quirks I can't quite explain

I pulled the battery and sim card and re-installed and that didnt seem to help at all.

dausa67

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The LG OG Pro has been my favorite phone ever. I have an upgrade available with AT&T and usually would take advantage of it as soon as it was available, but with this phone (before KitKat update) I do not want to trade it off for something that might not be as good.
  1. The automatic brightness is way to dim.
  2. Battery life has went way, way down since my download. So much so that I am praying for another update.
  3. I have also noticed that Vibrate Mode no longer works for text or calls.

If my update does not get fixed in the next couple of weeks I may have to consider the up grade.
To be fair, I must say that I have seen a few imrpovements too.

DesertDweller99

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
My LG Optimus G Pro has these problems:
1. LED does not work when charging. I miss the Green light when fully charged.
2. Auto Brightness very dim.
3. Text Notification Sound doesn't work anymore.
4. Sounds is lower. Sound at 100%, but can barely hear morning alarm or audio/video sound.
5. Battery life shorter. Always plugged in at work now to keep it from draining after 8 hours.
My wife's LG Optimus G Pro
1. LED works for everything.
2. Auto Brightness very dim.
3. Notification sounds works loud and clear.
4. Battery life shorter. Always plugged in at work now to keep it from draining after 8 hours.

dausa67

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
After further investigation last night, I have the exact problems as DesertDweller99. I hope LG fixes this soon.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

DesertDweller99

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Update: I turned OFF Daydream since Slow Charging at work with my laptop takes a long time. And low and behold the Red LED light is now ON when charging. Also, I switched from Hangout to the stock Messaging, but I still cannot get sound for a Text Notification. My wife's doesn't get the sound either.

Turner0410

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same Facebook issues. Have to turn WIFI off for pictures to load :( Husband got a warranty replacement phone and he no longer has the issue. (He was having other major quirks/glitches too). I hate to go that route but not liking the new software update!

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Now that's odd. I haven't had any problems w/images.

Yesterday morning, I had no data service. WiFi was strong, data showing no bars and this weird little circle symbol over it (like a reload or sync symbol?) Husband sitting next to me on his iPhone 5s, same carrier was showing full strength signal. Sync was showing an error & a message like "Sync is experiencing problems, it should be back soon." I eventually had to reboot my phone to get service back.

And I still haven't found any info anywhere about the stupid "add widgets now" thing when swiping open the lockscreen. Or where the controls are for the hidden palette button on the lower right corner of the screen. I have Google Now turned off, so that's not it.

Posted via Android Central App

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Here's some fun issues. First off, this is probably happening to most of you, when I try to GPS to a location, it asks something stupid about letting Google save your location or something along those lines, and if you don't do it, the GPS basically won't work. I remember a while back, I only had to do that once and I was set. Now I have to do it every time I start the GPS. Now typically I start mine up as soon as I'm about to get going. Now I have to do it much earlier, because it seems as though the first time you attempt to start the GPS trek, it won't activate, you'll just get directions. Then you'll go back, search again, and if you're lucky, you'll get the blue arrow which signifies and actual working GPS. And most of the time, the blue arrow didn't even move, at all, forcing me to restart the app entirely. Fun fun.

BUT HERE'S THE REAL KICKER! When KitKat was announced, there was a huge scare on how SD cards would become obsolete. No storing apps, no uploading music, any files at all, etc. I guess the app thing is true, though I don't use mine to store apps so I don't know. I do, however, use my 64GB SD card for my music, which is exactly what I bought it for when I bought my phone, it was the only purpose for it. So, I uploaded some music to my phone, and it went on, the phone recognized it, all seemed well. Then I listened to it. It sounds like corrupted versions of other songs I have on the card. And when I plug the phone back in to look for the mp3's, they're completely gone. I have repeated this process multiple times, same results every time. The song does, however, work fine the first like, 20 minutes after uploading it. Afterwards it becomes a mess, or just another song entirely. Then disappears. So I did a little test. I uploaded the same set of songs on the phone drive and the SD card, waited 20 minutes, then played the same songs one after the other. The songs on the phone drive were fine. The SD card songs were corrupted.

I've tried Googling this to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Nobody has talked about it, so until somebody replies to me with any information on this issue, I am completely alone and EXTREMELY frustrated and unhappy.

Thanks so much, KitKat.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's a Samsung Galaxy S3

Last edited:

Tonya Jabang

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I've started having issues with my lg og pro after the update,,,I can't send or receive mms.. I use to be able to change the apn type in mobile network and ever since the update I can't now,,,I've rebooted and nothing helps,,,last night i was on the phone lost the call and then when i called back about 3 or 4 times they couldn't hear me,,,I had to turn off phone and reset it..They need to fix this problem seriously ...

Leilani Bonilla

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, im an at&t customer, i had lost my lgOGP, i recieved a brand new one thru Asurion Tuesday, its saturday now i did the 4.4 update Wednesday, I havent no problems what so ever with my phone. The lost one i got in sept 2013 i had 0 problems i loveed that phone, but then i decided to try iphone 4s to a 5c to iphone 5 to Blu 5.5 studio then s3 then to galaxy note 2 then a note i717, lol well after goin thru experiencing varieties of phones i went back to the my lg then i lost it, all i can say is this is the best phone i have ever had. Now on the note i717 after the 4.3 update signal would go to 1 bar to absolutely no service at all, thats when i decided to just stick with my lg.

nomad247

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the Samsung Mega 6.3, It updated tonight. I saw an update available but could not do it while at work as I can't use company Wi-Fi. I went to do my rounds and came back found the phone was doing the update. When it was done, rebooted, I NO LONGER HAVE TOUCH SCREEN ABILITY. really hard to use a touch screen phone when there is NO TOUCH. Samsung had me to a factory reset only to find I still do not have touch ability. So I have a $478 dollars pretty paper weight. No support from Samsung and no support from ATT, other than a factory reset and screen still does not work, Guess I am screwed for 2 of these phones.

Kamar32

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
To reply to your post, I'm experiencing the same issues.
1. New issue (probably the worst of all) - I purchased the screen cover when I originally got the phone from ATT, less then a year ago. Before updating to Kitkat, my alarms were working perfectly with the screen cover closed. After the new update to kitkat, my alarm only works if the screen cover is open. This is so annoying and I've missed just about every alarm I have set. I repeat, the issue seems to affect the phone if you're using a flip cover instead of a screen protector. I wish I can rollback but other features are great while this is my only dilemma. Anyone else experiencing the same issue???? I had the phone about 8 months and not a scratch on it, so the cover is nice and does what it suppose to do.

2. The auto display feature blows!!! My battery (its a big battery) eats the power after the update to kitkat, so I noticed if I uncheck the auto display feature, set the screen display to 38%, my LG optimum pro performs excellent throughout the week. I mean I can literally charge the phone and not charge again for at least 2-4 days or more with continuous use. Overall I love the phone as it fast, videos are super clear (HD 1080p), music is great, calls are super loud, messaging is great, and browsing in multiple tabs is excellent without crashing. Just need a fix on the alarms. Think it has something to do with the face recognition (videos and books uses this feature but I turned it off and still doesn't work) or front camera display. That's my only suggestion as to why the alarm doesn't work when my screen cover is closed.

Last edited:

Madeye234

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Here's some fun issues. First off, this is probably happening to most of you, when I try to GPS to a location, it asks something stupid about letting Google save your location or something along those lines, and if you don't do it, the GPS basically won't work. I remember a while back, I only had to do that once and I was set. Now I have to do it every time I start the GPS. Now typically I start mine up as soon as I'm about to get going. Now I have to do it much earlier, because it seems as though the first time you attempt to start the GPS trek, it won't activate, you'll just get directions. Then you'll go back, search again, and if you're lucky, you'll get the blue arrow which signifies and actual working GPS. And most of the time, the blue arrow didn't even move, at all, forcing me to restart the app entirely. Fun fun.

BUT HERE'S THE REAL KICKER! When KitKat was announced, there was a huge scare on how SD cards would become obsolete. No storing apps, no uploading music, any files at all, etc. I guess the app thing is true, though I don't use mine to store apps so I don't know. I do, however, use my 64GB SD card for my music, which is exactly what I bought it for when I bought my phone, it was the only purpose for it. So, I uploaded some music to my phone, and it went on, the phone recognized it, all seemed well. Then I listened to it. It sounds like corrupted versions of other songs I have on the card. And when I plug the phone back in to look for the mp3's, they're completely gone. I have repeated this process multiple times, same results every time. The song does, however, work fine the first like, 20 minutes after uploading it. Afterwards it becomes a mess, or just another song entirely. Then disappears. So I did a little test. I uploaded the same set of songs on the phone drive and the SD card, waited 20 minutes, then played the same songs one after the other. The songs on the phone drive were fine. The SD card songs were corrupted.

I've tried Googling this to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Nobody has talked about it, so until somebody replies to me with any information on this issue, I am completely alone and EXTREMELY frustrated and unhappy.

Thanks so much, KitKat.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's a Samsung Galaxy S3

I thought I was the only one that had something strange go one with the SD card. My music I stored there has completely been wiped out plus one video!! It does recognize the SD installed but no music!

Brad Steele

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone image how I felt when I got the second push for KK update and hit ok with data and WiFi turned off? Especially since it didn't ask me if I wanted to turn it on. Only thing I notice is battery life is a little weaker and reboot or power off takes forever. Almost 30seconds to power off with that blue thing at the end hanging for 5 seconds then power off. Power on produces two LG logos, one after another. Other than that it's pretty smooth.

LG0Gpro_2_AC

donafrio

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I am on my fourth (4th) Optimus G Pro due to the KitKat software automatic download which cannot be stopped!! Att justkeeps sending new phones or new batteries. I barely use my phone and the newest one was fully charged at 4 pm and it is now 730 pm with 32 % battery left! Same problem with each phone they have sent. They refuse to let me buy a different phone but offered me a Nokia 250...Really????????? They want me to continue payments for the Optimus which cost $369 but I can not use the phone!!!!!!!!!! It is continually dieing and I continually have to charge it! I finally sent a complaint to BBB and pray someone has enough common sense to just let me buy another phone!!!!!!! Just not the pro which I loved for three months before that Stupid KitKat came along.

donafrio

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
PSS. The phone gets very Hot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No vibration! Less bars I don't know if I am madder at Android for the KitKat or AT&T for their stupidity.