ARCHIVED: [DEAD ROM] ThundeROM V1.8.3 4/5/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing this should work fine with drell's OC kernel?

I have ran his kernel and everything seems okay for me.I will incourage you to make a nadroid backup before hand.That will be your way to revert if need be cause i haven't posted a return to stock because we were holding off on the kernel for a little while.Not saying anything bad about the kernel because it rocks it will probably find it's way into the rom,just we didn't have enough time to get everything tested with all the other stuff we did.

s33ker

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Big thanks to KSmithInNY and Beezy for a great 1.0. I especially like the UI enhancements throughout. A couple of questions:

How is apps2sd supposed to work? Apps are not being installed onto the sdcard nor being moved there after boot.

We no longer need to use minfreemanager for proper memory management, correct?

s33ker

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have ran his kernel and everything seems okay for me.I will incourage you to make a nadroid backup before hand.That will be your way to revert if need be cause i haven't posted a return to stock because we were holding off on the kernel for a little while.Not saying anything bad about the kernel because it rocks it will probably find it's way into the rom,just we didn't have enough time to get everything tested with all the other stuff we did.

Great! Thanks!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Big thanks to KSmithInNY and Beezy for a great 1.0. I especially like the UI enhancements throughout. A couple of questions:

How is apps2sd supposed to work? Apps are not being installed onto the sdcard nor being moved there after boot.

We no longer need to use minfreemanager for proper memory management, correct?

Was the kernel modified to the point where it would break the system if a different kernel was used or lose the major advantages/improvements you've made? I would really like to use drell's OC kernel if it makes sense to do so.

See above about kernel.
Your right don't use any sort of memory manager as it's built in now.
App2sd read my post before last.It's not going to function yet still needs some adjustments.There should be about 150mb on fresh install without a2sd as long as you don't get below 30mb internel you should have no problems with memory.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
AWESOME!!!

Wow- super excited to see ROMs released for this device, but I'll be honest... it sounds like an awful lot of customization went into this.
Is that just my impression from reading the first post?

I'm excited and appreciate all the hard work that must have gone into it, but I guess I was hoping for minimal customization...
Back in my WinMo days, I found that I preferred roms that only changed things you couldn't easily change without flashing (OS build, removal of bloatware, etc), leaving the experience otherwise as close-to-stock as possible, since this minimized any unexpected "hiccups" (such as an issue with Google Voice Search as I'm already seeing).

Changing icons, backgrounds, etc, is fun and all, but it also feels like change for the sake of change. Honestly, I'm just looking to try out JIT and maybe get some more storage space. I'm not even sure what the other "optimizations" offer...

EDIT: I just realized how ****ing pretentious I sound in this post! I didn't mean for it to look that way... just been burned from my years of being active in the HTC rom cooking scene! Forgive me!

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
AWESOME!!!

Wow- super excited to see ROMs released for this device, but I'll be honest... it sounds like an awful lot of customization went into this.
Is that just my impression from reading the first post?

I'm excited and appreciate all the hard work that must have gone into it, but I guess I was hoping for minimal customization...
Back in my WinMo days, I found that I preferred roms that only changed things you couldn't easily change without flashing (OS build, removal of bloatware, etc), leaving the experience otherwise as close-to-stock as possible, since this minimized any unexpected "hiccups" (such as an issue with Google Voice Search as I'm already seeing).

Changing icons, backgrounds, etc, is fun and all, but it also feels like change for the sake of change. Honestly, I'm just looking to try out JIT and maybe get some more storage space. I'm not even sure what the other "optimizations" offer...

EDIT: I just realized how ****ing pretentious I sound in this post! I didn't mean for it to look that way... just been burned from my years of being active in the HTC rom cooking scene! Forgive me!

No problems. Well Beezy and I have been working together a long time and for this ROM we decided we're going to make us happy. What normally happens is we make a ROM, we release it, then were both running a heavily modified version of our ROM. We decided we don't want to do that anymore. Were building this to suit our taste buds. If that also happens to suit other peoples then thats awesome.

The good news is I'm sure with time there will be plenty of ROMs to chose from and something to meet everyones taste. Or if you find that nobody is building a ROm like you want, do what we did and start making your own :D

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Download link updated. As of 7:27 the download will have a fixed google voice search included.

Any downloads prior to 7:27 ... Open market, uninstall google voice search, re-install google voice search. Fixed.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
No problems. Well Beezy and I have been working together a long time and for this ROM we decided we're going to make us happy. What normally happens is we make a ROM, we release it, then were both running a heavily modified version of our ROM. We decided we don't want to do that anymore. Were building this to suit our taste buds. If that also happens to suit other peoples then thats awesome.

The good news is I'm sure with time there will be plenty of ROMs to chose from and something to meet everyones taste. Or if you find that nobody is building a ROm like you want, do what we did and start making your own :D

heh, fair enough. I know what you mean- Before Android was around, I used to discuss this with WinMo chefs trying to please everyone, and how we all build roms for ourselves ultimately. The reason a stock rom often is the way it is, honestly, is because they need to stay generic to to please as many people as possible. Every now and then, however, its helpful for those who don't have the skills or time to cook up a rom, to build something close to stock with things they couldn't do otherwise (for example, JIT).

Oddly enough, I recall most of the first roms for any given device to be heavily modified. Perhaps it stems from an inner desire to differentiate from stock as much as possible? ;)

I'm reluctant to put my cooking cap back on. I'm too late to the Android party and would be horribly far behind.

As my dad would say, to make you ask questions :p lol (he really would say that too)

LOL, I've heard this is the answer to most of the Passover Seder, actually!

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Shows the same for me and i don't even have an ext partition. My card is 100% FAT32. Maybe a problem in titanium? :confused:

Could be. I'm not gonna worry to much right now since I'm on hold with Blizzard. Have to remove my mobile authenticator so I can play WoW tomorrow when I get my Scroll of Resurection.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

This release looks promising guys. It's you guys at the forefront that keep this movement alive. Much gratitude.

Now, on to the actual question: Does the OC kernel show noticeable improvement in speed or should the JIT be sufficient? Just wondering how this ROM interacts with it more or less.... Thanks in advance. And, again, great job guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress