Need help with decision of new phone, Optimus G or Galaxy Nexus.

NyhtShade

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm up for an upgrade very soon, and my optimus has served me amazingly well, but it's time for something fresh.. I wanted the Note 2, because of the S Pen and the capabilities (I forget things VERY easily, and thought it'd be awesome to write them down on my phone) and the big screen and split-screen features.. I worked for sprint for a while and sold some as well GS3.. not so many Nexus though, but I figured it was classified to lots as a "developer phone" cause thats what everyone I worked with called it. Even though I knew better, no-one really bought them, so I sold what I could. iPhones, GS3s, Note 2s, and Moto 400s.. the occasional EVO 4G LTE and the all-too-common S2s.. As a service tech I fixed all these phones and more, minus the EVO 4G LTE as it's sealed.. and iPhone as we're technically not allowed to work on them.. I've been let go since, and am now at a crossroads. I never really got to play with a GN.. my store didn't have a model, and the only one I did get to look at was broken (how they broke the circuit board, I have no idea.. but it's more common than I thought) however I did get to play with the Optimus G.. good little phone, but I HATE the non-removable battery.. I've been debating about getting the Optimus G because of the QuickMemo (which to me screams out what I was wanting in the Note 2) and the quad-core processor as well as the 2GB of RAM however the embedded battery and lack of barometer and gyroscope kinda offput me.. But in the same vein, the GN is a dual-core with 1 GB RAM and all the sensors I could think of.. although no FM radio kinda makes me sad, but not by much since I have Pandora and Slacker.. I see myself using the Quick Memo feature (not so much the QSlide) alot and that could warrant the purchase there, but I really don't wanna be stuck to another's company iteration of android. I rooted and installed cm7 and then later cm9 CAI on my Optimus S and never looked back.. and I know with the G I'd probably end up installing CM10.. which makes the quickmemo kinda moot.. my dilemma then is one of speed and personal preference.. I know the quad-core is a noticeable difference to a dual-core, and 32GB is good for me so I don't need to look at a GS3 (although it's technically better featurewise, it's equivalent hardware-wise).. I just want some extra opinions..

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I went with the g and haven't regretted it yet. Sure I could've gone back and got the gn2 but I was liking the g too much to turn it in. I did play with the gn2 (brother has it) I really didn't want it anymore. Other than that the g is a great phone. Just gotta be careful because of the back side

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Today I would get the optiG. But I am waiting for April, for the next wave of phones like the gs4

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Enzomatrx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Today I would get the optiG. But I am waiting for April, for the next wave of phones like the gs4

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone seen the Sprint Flash? Went to a store yesterday (upgrade eligible soon) and was just feeling phones. Cannot be arsed with mega-phones that are too damn big for my pocket (sorry GS2, GS3), and saw this guy sitting there. Bigger screen and better specs than the OptiS, too. 12MP camera nothing to frown on.

It's a ZTE phone but XDA and other places have nothing on it.

That phone or the Galaxy Victory were just right-sized. Galaxy Victory has been rooted I believe ( Samsung Galaxy Victory Working Root! - xda-developers ) , but there's not any ROM development.

Definitely looking to get a phone with the same level of dev action as this powerhouse (OptiS) has provided. This has definitely set a high bar for any future phone.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The sprint opti g doesn't have the same level of support as the opti s. Nowhere close actually, if you really want a phone that has great dev support you cant go wrong with a nexus.

Viva La Resistance!

cthedogg

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus is an awesome phone with so much support. While the G has far better specs. I have both and to tell you the truth I loved the Nexus better. OS 4.2 is just great. The devs for the G are working really hard but we are still stuck with ICS. The 13MP camera doesn't really take good pics, we even had a mod to make it better. The Nexus for me the battery drained so much faster.
In the end go for what you like. For me I'll wait till we get at least 4.1 JB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38