remove wifi module

Avi Tapp

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
The wife and I set up one of our old phones and gave it to our daughter to use. Our service provider allows us to manage data control, but she can still use her phone to connect through wifi to access the internet without supervision. How do I find and change/delete/corrupt the wifi module on her phone (LS670) so she can not use the wifi anymore?
Model: LS670
Android version: 2.2.2
Build number: ZVD.41B2924E
I rooted her phone, otherwise running original ROM. I searched google and so many forums. Can't find help anywhere. Ideas?

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
If the phone were rooted, you could uninstall the WiFi services (using something like the free app, Titanium Backup). Even so, it would be a system service so it might screw up the phone's operation. (So I'd do a Nandroid backup before killing any such services.) But it doesn't look like you're rooted so it's irrelevant.

If you're just worried about her WiFi access at home (or someplace where you can manage the WiFi router) then the easiest solution is to enable the router's "MAC filtering" and deny access from your daughter's phone's unique MAC number. Most modern routers allow you to easily turn MAC filtering on and off, or even set automatic rules to turn on and off MAC filtering for specific timeslots on specific days of the week. Most modern routers also allow you to block access to specific websites.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
...How do I find and change/delete/corrupt the wifi module on her phone (LS670) so she can not use the wifi anymore?...
install terminal emulator from market
open
type
Code:
su
accept the popup dialog
type
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
mv /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko.bak
exit
exit
if there are no errors you're golden.
to reverse
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
mv /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko.bak /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko
exit
exit

Last edited:

Avi Tapp

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
If the phone were rooted, you could uninstall the WiFi services (using something like the free app, Titanium Backup). Even so, it would be a system service so it might screw up the phone's operation. (So I'd do a Nandroid backup before killing any such services.) But it doesn't look like you're rooted so it's irrelevant.

If you're just worried about her WiFi access at home (or someplace where you can manage the WiFi router) then the easiest solution is to enable the router's "MAC filtering" and deny access from your daughter's phone's unique MAC number. Most modern routers allow you to easily turn MAC filtering on and off, or even set automatic rules to turn on and off MAC filtering for specific timeslots on specific days of the week. Most modern routers also allow you to block access to specific websites.

The phone is rooted, although I'm curious why you would say that it isn't. Also, I'm not worried about my home router, I'm worried about access anywhere. She's a smart kid, and I'm balancing raising her in a healthy environment with teaching her how to program/etc.