Weird issue with OverClocking....

mister704

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
So a couple of issues. I am using the latest OC kernal and phone is rooted and all.

WEIRD ISSUE

For some reason, my phone won't stay overclocked. For instance, when I go into setCPU, it will be back down to 600mhz. I set it to 806mhz. And another thing, I use autokiller to keep my phone RAM high by stopping programs. Now for some reason, the presets that I set will be wiped away and the phone will be asking for root privileges. Superuser grants the privileges and all.

Why won't the phone stay to what I have it set at?

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
First thing anyone will tell you is shut off the task killer...they are shyte. Froyo does a much better job managing phone RAM than any killer.

This isn't a rant post against task killers, per say, but no devs will help with a problem until you shut off the task killer, reboot, and then replicate the problem.

mister704

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Im will that. So you are saying that Froyo will leave me more ram than they killer? I have been staying at around 215-225 free ram with it running so the phone is smooth. Let me try that out and see what happens

nina0818

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you click the button set at boot? Just make sure it's stable or you will have a hard time with it crashing.

Sent from my overpriced cell plan

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No, without a killer your RAM will be much more full, but Froyo is smart about it. Things are left "dormant" in RAM, not using up any CPU cycles, so they can quickly be re-accessed. If another app needs the RAM space, the oldest apps are overwritten in RAM.

Having tons of free RAM has no benefit with respect to performance, and constantly force-killing apps causes all kinds of other issues.

With respect to your problem....you're saying you set it at 806, hit "back" to exit the program screen, then re-enter the program and it reads 600 again? Two thoughts:

1) Are you sure you have the OC kernel running? I'm not certain, but I think if you install a ROM like TR AFTER flashing the OC kernel, you have to re-flash the OC kernel. Flashing nROM includes a flash of the OC kernel. Which ROM are you running?

2) After you set it to 806 and hit back, drop down your notification tray and look at what the setCPU icon is reporting....

mister704

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Nah, I will set it and it will show up and all, from there...sit the phone down walk away for a few..come back and its back to 600 again. And I have no ROM installed.

Just rooted, OC kernal, buildprops and setCPU....no ROm

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
OK, more dumb questions but I'm out of ideas...do you have any profiles set in setCPU? Could they be setting your clock to something else when you walk away?

Or, you could install the other overclocking widget...I can't remember what it's called though....

Oh, found it in the Xionia thread...it's called "Overclock Widget"....lol, I was pretty close there :). I think you'd want to uninstall setCPU and then install that one and see what happens....it's apparently a much simpler program than setCPU, but works well from what I've read.

mister704

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok sounds good....now I do have profiles and I believe that could be what the problem is. Do you guys not use the profiles? I thought they were set in place to help conserve battery life and all that.

I have overclock widget. I may have to just uninstall setCPU and see what happens. Or remove the profiles.

pmpmstrb

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You might double check the settings on your profiles. I use them without problem. You might have them set to "sensitive" and it is switching to them sooner than you would like. Post them up here if you want. Also check the priority number. I would suggest leaving it at 50. The higher the number the more priority that profile has which could lead to early switching.

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
What is even the point of overclocking? I know that with the HTC Hero, overclocking was almost necessary to have the phone run smoothly and snappy, but the Optimus S doesn't even need to be overclocked to run fast and snappy... I have yet to find something that can bog it down. If you're doing it to get higher scores in Quadrant and faster times in Linpack, I understand, but those scores don't mean anything in real-time usage.

To contribute though, this is what a ROM consists of:

ROM:
-System Files
-Kernel
-Other files, such as ones to be moved to sdcard or data

Now, when you flash a ROM, you're wiping out the system files and kernel (if the ROM update-script contains the proper code), so whatever kernel you had previously will be gone. You will need to reflash the kernel you were previously using if you wish to continue using it.

mister704

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Removing setCPU and using overclock widget has solved thw issue. Works great. What profiles do you all have set for setCPU? Phone is smooth and super snappy.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's mine. My charging profile is disabled because I couldn't differentiate between "charging at night" (where I want low cpu cycles) and charging in my car while acting like a gps (where I want lots of cpu power).

My settings:
c9KwU.jpg

Sent from my phone...excuse the spelling mistakrs

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Overclock Widget is so much easier to use! Just download and add it to a home screen as a widget, wait a few sec and tap the widget. Enter settings and forget about it...

SetCPU is good for tweaking the usage of CPU when battery levels start dropping. Of course as the battery drops it lowers the max overclock speed. Your performance will decrease, but your battery will last longer.

Only use one at a time, uninstall the one your not using :)

nina0818

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I know there is problems with setting your min speed that low.. needs to be 245 phone has a hard time waking up when that low. That could be a new problem for you though lol..

Reactions: shortyjacobs

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I know there is problems with setting your min speed that low.. needs to be 245 phone has a hard time waking up when that low. That could be a new problem for you though lol..

Is this in reference to the profiles I posted?

I've noticed a lot of stuttering when unlocking...goes away as soon as the phone actually unlocks, but I wonder if that's why. I'll up everything to 245 min and report back. Thanks!