Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Alright.... I'm new to Android as a whole, but I decided to go ahead and root my Optimus S when I got it a few weeks back.

When the update came for me today, like an idiot, I went for it, and now I'm having a few issues.

The phone as a whole is running very slowly, but I don't know if that's a symptom of my root screwup or if it's because of the update.

The big issue here, though, is that I'm unable to re-root or unroot it now. Apps like Autokiller and Juicedefender say they detect a Root, but I can't edit the settings there. Wireless Tether, however, won't start, and asks if I'm rooted.

I rooted this with Z4, and I've found a few sets of instructions that are supposed to help, but nothing's working. I can't even attempt to root it with the rageagainstthecage bin file because ADB isn't working properly- ANY command I enter while in ADB responds with 'permission denied'.

As a whole, I'm pretty annoyed with all this- this little phone was running really well while I had it rooted and working with a few tweaks, and now it's barely functioning. Any help would be much appreciated.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For your slowness problem, I would boot to recovery (Power + Vol- + Home) and choose wipe data/cache, then allow everything to get rebuilt. (backup your data if you care about it)

For the root problem, if you accepted the OTA VC firmware update from Sprint, you can check out my signature for a procedure to revert to V9 so you can root again (and apply the VC firmware update using LG Update tool if you so choose, as that method will preserve your ability to root)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue I'm having with any instructions right now is that NO command at all in ADB works.

Is there any advice for that? I've tried quitting it, I've tried rebooting my macbook and I've tried rebooting the Optimus S, and nothing is working.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue I'm having with any instructions right now is that NO command at all in ADB works.

Is there any advice for that? I've tried quitting it, I've tried rebooting my macbook and I've tried rebooting the Optimus S, and nothing is working.
Which commands are you talking about?

adb commands like "adb push" and "adb pull"

or do you mean commands you type after "adb shell"

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Any command after adb shell. Nothing is allowed at all. No matter what I type after that, it says "Permission denied"
Well if you try to run rage from the sdcard, that partition is mounted so you can't run stuff off of it.

I think you are just seeing the effects of not being root.

Are you sure a command like

/system/bin/ls -l

doesn't work?

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, that worked, if what it was supposed to do was bring up a big wall of text.

When I try to ADB push or pull files, or even 'adb reboot recovery', though, permission is denied. :/

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, that worked, if what it was supposed to do was bring up a big wall of text.

When I try to ADB push or pull files, or even 'adb reboot recovery', though, permission is denied. :/
That previous "ls -l" command is supposed to give you a directory listing of all files in the current directory on the phone.

Can you

adb push [some file] /sdcard/

where you replace [some file] with a file that exists in the same directory as adb?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You could try placing the V8->V9 update.zip onto your sdcard

Then rebooting into the Recovery partition ( Power + Vol- + Home)

Then run the update.zip. You can expect it to exit with an error.

Then /system should be mounted and you could try adb from there.

This is the first part of the "How to root VC" thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38