LG Logo Brick/Hang (particularly after a VC update) possible fix(es)...

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to bring this out of the depths of the Thunderom thread, in case it would help others. Credit to cc0n01 and ccrs8 for bringing this to my attention. My phone is currently getting stuck at the LG Logo every time after a full power down (anything "warm" works perfectly fine), and I've tested this 5 times now with success every time. Hope this helps some other people:

1) Pull the battery from the phone.
2) Plug the phone into power. You should see just the physical buttons light up most likely. If you see the message to insert the battery already, proceed to step 4.
3) If you just have the lit buttons (but no screen message), keep unplugging and plugging the phone back in until the message to insert the battery comes up on the screen. Some people have said it takes a dozen attempts or more, but it's always done it for me after about 6 tries.
4) Once that message is on screen, insert the battery again. Your phone should show the LG Logo briefly, and then eventually go into the battery charging animation. If it doesn't get to that animation, then this isn't likely to work sadly.
5) With the animation onscreen, hold down the power button until the phone starts to boot again. Let it go once the LG Logo appears.

It might take 30 seconds or so to get past the logo, but it has done so every time for me so far (as well as for several others). Again, this isn't likely to fix a phone that has been completely screwed up by some other method... but if you've successfully flashed to VC, and your phone WAS working fine, but is now stuck... this may help.

Last edited:

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been working fine after flashing to TR 1.7 the other day. Even rebooted the phone was fine. Just now, this happened:

1. Forgot to turn off Pandora so battery drained down to 0 and phone turned off.
2. Plugged in charger and i'm stuck on LG logo screen.
3. Tried this method (saw the insert battery messageand then inserted battery)and still get stuck on LG logo screen.

any ideas? is it because the battery is dead? even if it's stuck on the LG logo screen, will it still charge the battery?

Like I said, everything was working fine the past few days until this happened, so I dont think it's bricked. At least I hope not lol

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been working fine after flashing to TR 1.7 the other day. Even rebooted the phone was fine. Just now, this happened:

1. Forgot to turn off Pandora so battery drained down to 0 and phone turned off.
2. Plugged in charger and i'm stuck on LG logo screen.
3. Tried this method (saw the insert battery messageand then inserted battery)and still get stuck on LG logo screen.

any ideas? is it because the battery is dead? even if it's stuck on the LG logo screen, will it still charge the battery?

Like I said, everything was working fine the past few days until this happened, so I dont think it's bricked. At least I hope not lol

If it never got past the LG Logo into the battery recharging animation after you put the battery in, then, sorry, not sure what the next step would be :(

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
yea, I dont know either. I rebooted left and right yesterday without problems. I know I didn't flash anything to screw it up. I just dont know why i don't see the charging icon. this sucks

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Might just have gotten too low and you might need to leave it for a bit. Granted, when this happens on the Optimus M there is the charge screen with a "Please let your battery charge a bit more before turning on" message or something like that when it gets really low, but with a bunch of custom stuff on it, who knows? Maybe that's an entirely different boot mode that's not accounted for in the custom boot files that ThundeROM uses.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It's been charging for almost 30 mins and still stuck on lg screen. not sure what else to do

Now that you've got 30 minutes of juice saved up in the battery, why don't you try this method again (take out battery, plug in phone to charger repeatedly until the please insert battery message appears, put in battery until you see LG logo, and then hit power button to turn on like normal)? Or did you do that and I just didn't read correctly?

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
yep tried that too. looks like it might be hosed. dont have time to try to unbrick it since Im' going out of town later today and i need a phone. It may be time to make a trip to the sprint store and blame the OTA update lol

Update: Ok i don't know what I did but the phone is back! LOL I kept trying to pop in the battery and hold vol down-home-power at the same time. It's a little tricky with just 2 hands. Don't think I held down long enough or did it right, but somehow I felt the phone vibrate as it was on the LG logo screen. Then I saw the android screen and it booted up just fine. Battery is showing 5%, so maybe there wasn't enough juice to power it up? Usually it will give a "not enough battery power" message when I tried to turn it on before. I'm so relieved. I'm never turning off my phone again. Reboot is fine. Turning off = no no. :D

Last edited:

cc0n01

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
tmeader and ccrs8,

I glad that this battery pull trick worked for you. I found this by accident when my son's phone was stuck on the LG logo. I had the phone plugged in via usb to my computer with the battery out while I was searching these forums for help and then the insert battery message appeared.
I wasn't sure if it would work for other phones or work again. My son hasn't restarted his phone since so it good to know that it should work again. In any case it's a simple procedure to try when nothing else works.

Reactions: tmeader

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
yep tried that too. looks like it might be hosed. dont have time to try to unbrick it since Im' going out of town later today and i need a phone. It may be time to make a trip to the sprint store and blame the OTA update lol

Update: Ok i don't know what I did but the phone is back! LOL I kept trying to pop in the battery and hold vol down-home-power at the same time. It's a little tricky with just 2 hands. Don't think I held down long enough or did it right, but somehow I felt the phone vibrate as it was on the LG logo screen. Then I saw the android screen and it booted up just fine. Battery is showing 5%, so maybe there wasn't enough juice to power it up? Usually it will give a "not enough battery power" message when I tried to turn it on before. I'm so relieved. I'm never turning off my phone again. Reboot is fine. Turning off = no no. :D

Glad you're back up :) Why were you trying to go into recovery mode though? You don't need to go into recovery to do this, just press power.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Step 3 sounds kinda dangerous. Anything keeping you stuck at the boot logo is *likely* a bad flag in mtd7 or mtd8. Not always though. Couldn't tell you without experiencing it myself.

but still, step 3 sounds dangerous to both the charging port and the internal components. You are providing then removing power at a fast rate of speed, faster than the components were designed to power on and off. This can't be healthy for the NAND.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Step 3 sounds kinda dangerous. Anything keeping you stuck at the boot logo is *likely* a bad flag in mtd7 or mtd8. Not always though. Couldn't tell you without experiencing it myself.

but still, step 3 sounds dangerous to both the charging port and the internal components. You are providing then removing power at a fast rate of speed, faster than the components were designed to power on and off. This can't be healthy for the NAND.

To be clear, this isn't meant to be "plug/unplug as fast as you can". You can plug it in and leave it like that for several seconds if you'd like, doesn't seem to matter (takes several seconds before the message even appears anyway). However, those of use with this problem seem to have no other choice really other than reverting back to V9 completely. VC works perfectly fine except for this.

So, is there some way to actually fix what you're talking about in regards to the bad flag? Since we can get into recovery and boot fine (except when the power is pulled completely), I'm game to try anything.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Glad you're back up :) Why were you trying to go into recovery mode though? You don't need to go into recovery to do this, just press power.

well I spoke too soon. I tried rebooting after it came up to the menu. All normal. Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to turn off the phone again. Turned it back on and back at the LG logo lol Still stuck here after trying these methods. I was trying to see if i could boot into recovery as opposed to booting normally.

I don't understand it. I see the "Battery required" message everytime I plug in the charger. popping in battery will get stuck on LG screen.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Also just noticed that your "Fix Boot Loop" setting in CWM appears to attempt to wipe these two sections. Would you advise giving this a go? Thanks.

cc0n01

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand it. I see the "Battery required" message everytime I plug in the charger. popping in battery will get stuck on LG screen.

Did you get the battery charging screen after you popped in the battery? Don't power up the phone until you see the charging screen.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Went ahead and tried the "Fix Boot Loop" CWM setting... didn't help. Next power down still got the LG Logo stuck at boot. This procedure worked again to get the phone back though. On my phone at least, it seems to consistently start showing the Insert Battery message on the 6th attempt.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you get the battery charging screen after you popped in the battery? Don't power up the phone until you see the charging screen.

No, don't see the charging screen at all. pop in battery and then screens turns on to the LG logo screen and stays there

cc0n01

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your phone is powered off when you try this.

1) remove the battery and wait a few minutes to ensure the phone is off
2) plug in the charger with the battery removed until the insert battery message appears
3) insert the battery and wait until the charging animation appears before attempting turning on the phone.

You should not be getting the LG logo until the phone is turned on.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

2) plug in the charger with the battery removed until the insert battery message appears
3) insert the battery and wait until the charging animation appears before attempting turning on the phone.

Actually, that's not true in my case. I get the "Insert Battery" screen, and then insert the battery. Right after I insert it, it goes from that message to the LG Logo for about 3 or 4 seconds, and then into the charging animation.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Ok I'll try it again. I'm not turning on the phone though. when I insert the battery, the LG logo comes on and it stays there. It never switches to the charging screen. I'll try this last time and if doesn't work, i'm gonna have to go to Sprint. I can't go all weekend without a phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87