Need help repairing borked recovery running zvd

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I really made this a cluster f when trying to root and install custom recovery. The phone was bought new less than a week ago and was running zvc. I tried following countless guides and searches for the last three days in the quest for root. I went back to v9 and had to operate blind. Running the adb commands manually proved fruitless. Running the zxb (whatever it was called, its almost 5am and I've been at this since 1130pm last night so my brain is fried) and it would fail at unpacking file and go no further. I've downloaded zvc and zvd many times from zefies dump and it still fails. Somehow I managed to get a blind root and tried to install clockwork blind but that made things worse. Running blind in both os and recovery. I managed to luck out and get the lg programs to run in recovery mode and it downloaded zvd and installed it but recovery is still blind. The phone is also not provisioning and the chat csr wouldnt give me the msl when activating the phone. I will get that when I wake up and tell them the phone needs a full reset. I need to get stock recovery back in for either zvc or zvd. Im afraid that I will have to try root again to do this.

I've rooted a moment, evo, epic, and shift and didnt have any fail or almost brick ever. Lg phones are a ***** to get hooked up compared to my previous phones. My brain is mush now and I need sleep. Guys, even though this is my first post, I am in very much need of bailing my ass out of this snafu. Sigh....

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
First...

Breathe deeply... hopefully after some sleep, you can get somewhere with it.

Try using the force flash method here: link

Try reverting back to VC or VD and see if you can get anywhere with that...

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind. I tried running lg software again but it didn't find anything wrong. I factory reset the phone and formatted the card then returned to where I bought it. I told them that an ota died midway and the phone worked but no online. They tried to fix it and even get a new code for it. They got it provisioned and said they couldn't find anything wrong. I dare not say anything about recovery. They were trying to give it back because they couldn't find anything wrong. They wouldnt exchange it for another one either. I bit the bullet and just paid the 35 to get rid of it. I should wait at least a month before trying to get another one with bill to account so the credit can process for the return.

I've never met an android phone before that was such a nightmare to root and recovery than the ls670. All I wanted to do was run rooted stock with recovery and zvd. IF I decide to get another one, I think I will only flash zvd on it and that is it because I don't want to relive that experience. Maybe I give up too easy? Maybe spending as long as I did trying to get somewhere wasn't good enough? Maybe I get confused and frustrated too easily? I dunno. Big sigh. I need to calm down. A stupid phone shouldn't have got me so worked up. I'm babbling needlessly now and venting. Sorry for making such a fuss.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has their own pain tolerance levels.

LG has been patching root exploits on this phone at a faster pace than manufacturer's of other phones. There are also fewer recovery tools available. That is why this phone is more difficult to root. It used to be a lot simpler before we started getting the recent updates.

That being said, many people have rooted their phone. There are procedures to handle most situations, yours included.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The Moment was significantly easier to root than most... since you could use their STOCK loader to load replacement rom's... ;)

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
From my investigation, I'm certain that the phone I bought had the new hardware revisions in it, hence the screen losing the drivers in the os and recovery and running blind from then on. I am so used to the ways to root and recovery with samsung and htc, that it seems as if that way of thinking and trying to troubleshoot and fix mistakes are a process that I've never done before.

My main reason for getting it was because it received good ratings for a beginner to intermediate user, I wanted to play with it for a week or so then give it to my gf's daughter to replace my old moment she's using now. That phone's data lockup issues were really annoying so I wanted to get a phone that didn't have that problem. I would have liked to rooted it just to take out a couple of programs, add wireless tether, replace hosts file, and get the msl so I could zero out the proxies that many times block streaming music on 3g.

I doubt I would meet someone irl that knows how to root and recover the phone. Unless I didn't stumble across it, I didn't see any stock rooted de/odexed roms that could be flashed after r and r like I have from other phones. I didn't want "custom" roms either.

I still am tempted to get another one and try again but I am certain I would face the same obstacles, so I don't think it's worth it for my sanity at least. I was reading posts at xda about the p500 and how someone was saying to not give up because it took them around 14 hours to finally root it and fix mistakes. Sheesh, they have the patience of a saint almost...

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you follow the directions it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to root any versions of the phone (assuming you have all the files downloaded ahead of time)

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Last night I was bored so I read about 14 pages of waltons post about the shortcut rooting program for zvc. I had that and was using it but couldn't get success with it. I will continue reading it some more because it's interesting to read the progression of things and steps and tips as time goes on. I see some things I should have done before but didn't. I read elsewhere about disabling the modem for the phone in the device manager because that can interfere with rooting and some even claiming that shaking the phone when it isn't cooperating helps. Yeah right. Anyways, I will do some more reading and studying of that post and probably others to learn more about this completely different phone rooting method. Maybe this time it is better to study than jumping in head first. I am still wondering if I might find a post on how to go from zvc to zvd without losing root and recovery but not needing to use someone's custom rom. Just taking a stock rom and shoehorning root into it and make it recovery flashable. It doesn't sound too difficult but it's too difficult for me to know how to do it so I guess I shouldn't whine or complain.

Thanks for not flaming me. Heh.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
stock VC and stock VD are not rootable. If you want to use them with root, you need to first revert to V9 (which is rootable) and install CWMA custom recovery. As long as you keep CWMA custom recovery around, your ability to root (and reroot) will be preserved.

If you lose CWMA custom recovery (on VC, VD, and later) then your ability to root/reroot are gone and you'll need to revert back to V9 again and do the whole thing over.

Why would it be difficult to keep CWMA custom recovery around? Well, if you accept the OTA updates, under some conditions, it'll overwrite your custom recovery with one that is not rootable.

How do you keep CWMA custom recovery around and upgrade? Well, LG Software Updater will upgrade Android and the baseband/radio but won't touch recovery.

I'm sure you already know this, but we use "root" in two slightly different senses.

You have "root" the login id (and associated permissions) designated by the "#" prompt in shell, let's call this root login. It is referring to a login status, not an ability, and thus is implicitly temporary. With "root" login id/permissions, you can always install the 2nd sense of root below.

The 2nd way we refer to root, is the "capability" of on-demand changing login-id/permissions to root within Android and linux. Some people refer to this a permanent root. Rather than referring to the "login" id, we are referring to the capability of obtaining that login id whenever we want.

When I say CWMA preserves your ability to root, I'm referring to it in the first sense. Just because you have CWMA doesn't mean Android apps that need root will work. You still need to install some apparatus to implement the capabilities of the 2nd type of root. However having CWMA around will allow you to install the 2nd type of root at anytime just by running a special FlashRootVD-signed.zip (update.zip) that Drew created. You can also do it by hand, but it easier to run FlashRootVD-signed.zip.

If you are reading about shaking your phone, you are going off the reservation onto some KDZ thread on another forum. While it may be an interesting read, it isn't necessary to accomplish what you described.

If you have the new LCD hardware and want root with stock VD, you can start with the RED warning #2 of the revert thread in my signature.

Oh and BTW we are equal opportunity here. If after reading about stuff, you feel there is a better way to do it, by all means go ahead and put something together. I'm sure people will appreciate something that makes their life simpler. If that's not your thing, at least tell the author what was confusing (and possibly how to make it clearer) I can't speak for everyone, but I do make changes to make things clearer or simpler as I become aware of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.longbough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez