wifi hotspot withOUT rooting or similar?

earthpig

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
hi,

until recently, sprint optimus s users could use the app "hotspot widget" ( link ) to get a wifi hotspot up and running without rooting or loading any custom ROMs or similar.

a recent forced sprint update, and it no longer works.

do we have any recourse but to root our phones?

edit: people have reported that 'restoring to factory default' does not work, and the update's limitation is still in place.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
It was not forced, all you had to do was click "more info" then pull the battery out. And I never saw it again. That is the reason why I am stll on v9.

And if you do revert and potentially root, don't install T.R.ROM go with cm7.

Just because an update is available does not mean it is good, because most take away features.that you already have.

STAY ON V9!!!!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No worries, it just sounded that way because you skipped the answer that didn't require root. I guess I just read too much into it.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
That's odd.... when i was originally on V9, I tried creating a hotspot and it failed... multiple times. But, I rooted and now have no issue with it.

WTylerJeter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just never accepted the update because I had a feeling this update would close the door on the Hotspot Widget. But Sprint keeps on trying to push the update to me. It pops up once a day on average. I have a feeling the eventually I am going to accept it on accident because sometimes it will pop up in the middle of me sending a text.

OG President- You say you just view "more info" when the update request pops up and then do a battery pull? You haven't had the update pop up any more after that? Thanks!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That should get rid of the nag screen popping up. If you are especially fearful of accepting it by accident, if you deinstall something it checks for like Sprint ID, the update preconditions check will fail and the update won't install even if you accept it.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm a little new to this. If I go this route, will the apps and data that are installed on my phone's internal storage be hosed?
Potentially anytime you flash something everything could be hosed.

That being said, upgrades are designed to allow your data and apps to remain and continue working. Reverting may or may not preserve, but usually does.

I always advise to backup though and be ready to reset and restore.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Titanium is a good backup, or basically being ready to re download anything... but yes, backup EVERYTHING, i have nandroid backups and EVERY file on my SD saved to my PC...