Why does my old Droid connect to other Wifi networks but not my own?

Apr 22, 2022
Visit site
I have an old 2017 Android phone (Moto E4 Plus for Boost Mobile, who I've since left) that for whatever reason won’t connect to MY home Wifi network.
• I brought it over to a buddy’s house (who uses Spectrum internet like me), and it got on his Wifi and was surfing the web right away.
• I even took it to a Starbucks & it got online using their Wifi.

Yet at our place, it saves our Wifi name, but seconds later that’ll show as “Disconnected” or Disabled,” won't pull up any web pages, shows a MAC address that I can’t edit but no IP address (despite having smartphones both newer and older than this, laptops etc that all connect to the same Wifi…).

• I’ve reset the modem.
• I’ve reset the router.
• I’ve Reset Default Networks and done a Factory reset of the phone itself.
• I tried connecting both w/ and w/o the old Sprint SIM card inside (only because some of the before & after error messages said “V08” or “Mobile ID Download Error, an unexpected download error has occurred. [Code: 10],” both of which seem to pertain to the carrier).
Still can’t get it online at my current place.
• I tried changing the Proxy (from None to Manual or Proxy Auto-Config), the “IP settings” from DHCP to Static, tried typing in the same IP address/Gateway etc as one of my connected phones, and that didn’t work either (though admittedly it’s not like I understand what all that means anyway).

Now: I WAS able to get it online at my old apt.—we moved last November and opened a new Spectrum account w/ a new modem and router that we’re renting from them— but that was using an even OLDER 2010 Netgear router (I don’t remember if I ever tried getting it back online after I switched it out for a newer phone/left that carrier).

So, any troubleshooting suggestions?? One IT guy I called suggested it could be a "bad network card." Besides that I'm wondering if:
1) I should try hardwiring it into my modem via MicroUSB-to-Ethernet adapter, IF there’s any software I can DL that’d make a difference??
However I did already try Updating the Certificates, PRL, Profile & Motorola software while on my buddy's/the Starbucks Wifis (the System— 7.1.1/Nougat— is up to date).

2) I should try reconnecting/see if it'll work with that old router?

While the one we’re renting is more up-to-date, the only routers Spectrum offers to residential customers these days DON’T have the option to adjust the WPS Push Button/Pin Entry, assuming that could make a difference? (for what it’s worth, my friend’s using a router they purchased on their own Spectrum Wifi, dunno about the one at Starbucks…).

3) I should try adjusting the “Network Restrictions,” “Preferred network type,” Automatic, LTE/CDMA, CDMA, GSM/UMTS, Static/DHCP/etc settings? I already tried doing so to the latter without success.

Needless to say, it’s an older phone; best case scenario if I CAN get it online, I figured I’d turn it into a remote for our old non-“smart” TV.

But for the time being, I'm just left wondering what it is about my Wifi that it doesn't like.

Thanks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I stopped renting my modem from Xfinity/Comcast a long time ago. I think their rental fee is around $14/mo these days, or $168/yr, which is a great way for them to make money:-\. I've bought my own compatible modem a couple of times (each time finding one on eBay or Amazon for <$100), and then hook up my Google Wifi mesh router system to it (which works great and is super easy to set up).

I would normally recommend Google Wifi to you, but if you still want to use those older devices, I can't be entirely sure that the same kind of issue won't crop up again. I can say that the oldest device I have (an Honor 8 from 2016) still connects fine.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I stopped renting my modem from Xfinity/Comcast a long time ago. I think their rental fee is around $14/mo these days, or $168/yr, which is a great way for them to make money:-\. I've bought my own compatible modem a couple of times (each time finding one on eBay or Amazon for <$100), and then hook up my Google Wifi mesh router system to it (which works great and is super easy to set up).

I would normally recommend Google Wifi to you, but if you still want to use those older devices, I can't be entirely sure that the same kind of issue won't crop up again. I can say that the oldest device I have (an Honor 8 from 2016) still connects fine.

We're also using a Google wifi mesh system... it's running everything from a Dragon Touch tablet running Android 4.4, to an original Kindle that must be about 12 years old, up to my 2015 Moto X Pure Edition, and everything else I've tried on it. I would also highly recommend the system ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter