Let me know about your Rooted LG Optimus S

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to use this as an example, before rooting Angry Birds was virtually unplayable because lag and screen stutter. Currently rooted and running CM7 (never use bluetooth so there was no loss for me LOL, and the other issues with it seem so minimal). Using their built in overclocking software, the same game runs smooth as silk.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
With the help of a member named Jondevere my optimus s was rooted about a month ago and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I am currently running cyanogenmod 7/Scott Pilgrim 7 custom rom and I have no problems whatsoever. Wi-Fi works, Bluetooth, data, I'm typing this from my optimus s. I have heard of the reborn rom but I only rooted b/c I want android 2.3 which I now have. I have 165 MB of internal memory, I have 71 apps, only 8 of which are stock and still have 84 MB left. I have a vastly improved keyboard with a cursor and full cut & paste capability and unbelievable power management. The customization possibilities are near endless because of "theme Chooser". No matter the rom, if you have things you really want to improve, research, and if rooting and installing a rom will improve it then go for it. Honest to God I wouldn't trade my phone for a evo now. Having experienced 2.3 ill never go back to 2.2. My phone breaks from being dropped in water orsomething, I'm getting a nexus s lol. 2.3 kicks butt

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you root it and then put a custom ROM on it:

Pros

- Extended battery life
- Doesn't run as hot
- Custom themes
- Custom Apps (Wireless tether, super user, titanium backup, etc)
- Early releases (You can get a gingerbread version)

If this Factory Widget clock is at all accurate, my Optimus S averages a hotter temp on Reborn ROM than I remember from stock. Not more than 7-10 degrees, though. It does reach lower and higher extremes, however. Nearly 100 degree humid weather probably doesn't help much.

abraxasfrog

May 27, 2011
Visit site
All my little ducks in a row...

I can hardly believe the passion that the community has for their rooted phones. After reading this thread, its got me doing the research. [tummy a-flutter]. Thanks for the info.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
My stomach fluttered too but that's why I recommend you do a ton of research and ask don't hesitate to ask for help. I DEFINITELY wouldn't have been able to get mines done without help.

mercury04

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
After several hours and much trial and error, I finally have a rooted Optimus S running Reborn ROM. The biggest problem that I ran into was that I did not know that I had to hit "allow" on the phones screen when trying to gain root access. Now to learn all about my new phone...

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So i just purchased a rooted S today. I love the phone so far. First i was wondering how much customizing I can do with the phone...there are 2 things really bothering me...its Reborn Rom.

Can i make it so that any button wakes my phone up other than just the power button? It bothers me everytime.

Can I make it so that it doenst notify my in the top left corner of all the apps im running?

Thats it for now. Thanks!

lihtaes

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I rooted mine a few weeks ago and got reborn rom.. Its certainly faster/smoother... The phone force closes after completing the addition of a new contact, but thats fine cause by then ur done anyway.. Rom is awesome, shows bat life in status bar which is nice, and is much better than stock.. after rooting you can remove whatever came with the phone in the adb shell or terminal.. But if youre new to the terminal be careful.. if you use a command, its not always reversable, like "rm -r *" for example will act without asking questions lol.. Its worth it honestly, haha you shoulda done it already.. Get reborn rom too and support those guys if ya can, they are good guys... Credit where its do!!!

urthatguy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have begun having weird bugs happen with my phone, the screen is very particularhttp://forum.androidcentral.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
please someone help me with this. My phone would be so much better if i could just push any of the hard buttons to wake it up. My fiance has the same phone unrooted of course and she can push any button to wake her phone up....

Is my only option widgetlocker???

HELP!

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That looks like exactly what I need but entirely too complex for me.....if there was simple way maybe I would try it.

My phone was rooted for me so I have no idea if I have ADB or SDK or if I need to add these or even where to get them haha. I guess i will just have to deal with it.

thanks for the help though

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
How would i flash my phone with a zip file...that looks easier than the text edit.

I found the file in the same link

Do i just go onto my phone and download the zip file??

Linoleum

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I finally rooted my LG Optimus last weekend. The rooting part is actually really simple, using the Gingersnap program. Creating the custom recovery was difficult and required getting the Android tools configured properly and some terminal cutting and pasting. All said and done, I flashed a Cyanogen ROM and very happy a smooth running gingerbread variant. Its funny, my old Sprint Hero runs gingerbread as well.... its laughable when I hear the carriers say legacy phones can't handle the new software.. its just not true.

stlarenas

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
That looks like exactly what I need but entirely too complex for me.....if there was simple way maybe I would try it.

My phone was rooted for me so I have no idea if I have ADB or SDK or if I need to add these or even where to get them haha. I guess i will just have to deal with it.

thanks for the help though

Are you using Reborn? If so just flash the zip found here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...om-reborn-rom-v2-1-5-9-11-a-3.html#post839531 Scroll down to Nicks post # 27 for the zip file.

Download to SD card and install from Recovery.