Let me know about your Rooted LG Optimus S

kelley

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm delving into rooting my Optimus S right now and I'm wondering if anyone has "post-rooting" experience that I should know about. Tips, warnings, cool stuff, etc.
Thanks!

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
IT"S AWESOME I LOVE IT. Seriously I waited 5 months before rooting because I have rooted windows phones near the end of my contract before but never a new one.

My main reason for rooting was to get more app space. There are tutorials on how to move the cache etc. but the easiest way is to just install a custom ROM after rooting. I used Reborn ROM and the phone is much snappier (cleaned up Sprint bloatware, and 25% overclock on demand) I also have 60MB left after reinstalling everything when I was constantly getting down to 15MB before the ROM.

Some suggestions:
1) just try it, people here will help you and the new Gingerbreak rooting method is pretty simple.
2) After rooting get Titaniam Backup or something similar to backup your apps and data for peace of mind.
3) I highly recommend trying a custom ROM, if you are going to then make sure you do the custom recovery and a nand backup. This is a snapshot of your phone with all data, apps and settings.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I highly recommend it! I was tired of having a slow phone, and constantly getting messages about low on space. I researched rooting on my Hero but never did it, and finally took the plunge using the aforementioned Gingerbreak method. It was very easy and I'm now enjoying Reborn v2.1 along with some custom themes. I LOVE it. In fact, as soon as I did mine, my hubby wanted his Evo rooted too.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Id like to hear about what doesnt work.
For example, Ive read how on some roms, bluetooth dont work right.

Most of the issues with things not working are from trying to run gingerbread/cm7 ports. If you are running an LG based rom such as Shell or Reborn pretty much everything should work as it's supposed to

jasenr

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I rooted and Rom'd my 2 day old phone last week, and will never turn back. It can be scary
but as long as you read carefully you should do ok. I had everything working on the first go round
so I can't say much about something not working. I'm using Reborn if you want to know.
I benchmarked before and after I flashed and I gained like 150 points. That's not changing
a thing besides the rom. I then overclocked using setcpu, and my phone cruises.

SylvianDark

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Reborn Rom is what I use. Runs smoothly and doesn't get as hot as it did with stock firmware.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jadenj5

May 31, 2011
Visit site
The cm7 build(Scott Pilgrim) is what I've been running for a while now. It's pretty much perfect to me :p

sent from my ginger-optimus

ndine

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the rest of the people here. I've hD my optimus rooted for about a month and it's great, i'm also using reborn rom. When i first flahed it the screen wouldn't rotate. I just re-flashed it and it works perfectly. Also you will lose the sprint visual voicemail, but there are instructions on how to put it back. Or you can choose to use googel voice, which i use, and it is great. Just follow the instructiins and everythyng should be fine. And do your homework before you start rooting or flashing, it will save you many headaches.

tcf84

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Reborn rom on mine and I've already noticed a huge change in battery usage. Seems like the battery should be working 3 times longer, give or take. I'm 8 hours off the charger right now at 77% with light usage. I'm normally between 20 and 40% by this point in the day.

Just rooted and loaded the custom rom yesterday though so I haven't had much time to experiment. The extended battery life alone is totally worth the work it too me to finally get the process right and complete it, so I can't wait to see what other benefits I'll notice down the line.

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
rooting and hacking is kind of a scary bussiness I get nervous every time I'm flashing something. I'd say it's worth it though because as long as you keep nandroid backups and ask about anything your not certain about you don't have much to worry about. I say it's worth it and I like showing off my cooler phone to all my friends.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all you folks recommending reborn. We love our users/addicts :) you have no idea how much of an honor and compliment it is (as a developer) to hear someone recommend your work. Truly, thanks!

Regarding the OP, android is amazing. Its the best mobile platform in existance IMHO. But that's not to say it can't be improved upon. What Google has given us is the most amazing canvas for us to paint and improve upon. The development community takes a phone that performs good, and makes it great. When Google updates the source for android they need to consider what's good for source, which is used on 100's of phones. When devs do their work they need only concern themself with what's good for their specific device. I've said this before and I'll say it again, optimus S users are some of the luckiest in the android community, which includes me. Its not often when you see all the primary developers for a single phone so eager to progress development that they put their egos aside for the betterment of the community.

IMHO, the optimus S community, the way everyone supports everyone, could serve as an example for all android phone. [/soapbox]

Reactions: antipunk

SylvianDark

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the rest of the people here. I've hD my optimus rooted for about a month and it's great, i'm also using reborn rom. When i first flahed it the screen wouldn't rotate. I just re-flashed it and it works perfectly. Also you will lose the sprint visual voicemail, but there are instructions on how to put it back. Or you can choose to use googel voice, which i use, and it is great. Just follow the instructiins and everythyng should be fine. And do your homework before you start rooting or flashing, it will save you many headaches.

There's an option in the phone settings were you can enable or disable the auto rotate feature.

SylvianDark

May 24, 2011
Visit site
what can be the whole plus and minus of rooting optimus s

Assuming you root it and then put a custom ROM on it:

Pros

- Extended battery life
- Doesn't run as hot
- Custom themes
- Custom Apps (Wireless tether, super user, titanium backup, etc)
- Early releases (You can get a gingerbread version)

Cons

- Risk of bricking phone (basically will only happen if the power runs out when flashing, make sure to charge in advance)
- Some lost functionality (minor things in the gingerbread release. as far as i know everything works on reborn rom)
- Have to ignore updates and wait for them to be implemented in ROM (again, i've yet to have to ignore an update, they simply aren't that common. if you want to update you can but you lose your ROM and your ROOT)
- Voids warranty (I personally don't pay for a warranty. Assuming something did happen to your phone, as long as it would boot you could simply flash the stock firmware on the phone and then take it in for service.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolwilliamson