Phone is "bricked", but I don't understand what I'm doing :)

jlcamp7#AC

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys, so I know therer is a huge section on unbricking your phone and also unroot/return to stock. However the problem is I can't even understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing and on top of that I'm using a mac (don't have a windows based pc). About a year ago a friend of mind rooted my phone for me because #1 I couldn't figure it out on a mac and #2 I'm not that savvy when it comes to this type of stuff. The problem is he no longer lives locally.

I'm sure it's not too complicated, I just need a little more direction. I was trying the simplified onroot and return to stock, but unfortunately it's not simple enough. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get to this /sdcard?

Let me give you a little more info. I can't remember exactly what he used to root (I think nrom), but I am pretty sure he did use rom manager.

I switched phones last week and so the other day I decided to reset it since I was getting ready to put it up for sale, and I did the factory reset under privacy and that's when it "bricked". Basically it will start up. It will state system recovery, formatting data, formatting cache, factory reset, reboot. I have tried holding down the home button/volume down and power button, but it still does the same thing.

So essentially I am wondering a more step by step of how to get it back to factory fresh. I did get the Android sdk manager downloaded and open, but don't really understand anything going on in there.

I hate to ask it, but could someone give me a more step by step or at least point me to maybe a post/thread that will walk me through this?

Thanks so much

jlcamp7

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
ROM Manager = brick
Then you did a factory reset from privacy with custom recovery = brick
Hope someone else can help!

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Simplified unroot assumes your phone isn't bricked. If you can't boot into recovery and you can't boot into android, then your only hope is the unbrick some forms of brick thread. Sorry I am on mobile or I would get you the link.

This uses tools that only run on windows. If you can't get access to a pc, then there probably isn't much you can do at this point from a mac