Firefox for the Optimus S?

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
hey guys! way back before i got my optimus, my mom had the samsung intercept. being a nerd, i toyed with it for a while and installed the then-current build of firefox for android. since then, they have switched to only support armv6 and armv7 processors. does anyone out there already have or at least know of a previous version of firefox/fennec (as it was originally named when it went mobile) that will work on the optimus s? thanks!

Last edited:

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
oh, i wasn't aware that the optimus s has an armv6 processor. thanks!

I know its sounds discouraging, armv6. But this is a second generation armv6, a whole lot better than the first ones! I wasnt thrilled when I found out it was armv6, until someone gave me a link explaining the second generations ones :)

EDIT...I looked for that link but couldnt find it :(

Tree Dude

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I installed the beta when I first got the phone a few months back. Upon launching it it said it did not support my device. Not sure if that has changed, but it was huge for a browser. Honestly I use the normal browser for most things and Skyfire for videos.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
That is the correct link, the one that was posted by cordell. Pull up the link on your desktop/laptop compy and just use an app like Barcode Scanner to get to the download.

They've reduced the memory usage fairly significantly recently, but it still doesn't even hold a candle to the stock browser or either of the Dolphin's. Things like the address bar take up too much of the screen's real estate on our phone.

I'm with you Tree Dude. Stock for almost everything, and Skyfire when I need it.

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
@heckufaguy same here, except with dolphin browser mini. DBmini is to DBHD as chrome is to firefox, lol. i was having issues with the zoom buttons getting in the way on top of it being a memory hog, so i uninstalled and switched back.

darktoy

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
@heckufaguy same here, except with dolphin browser mini. DBmini is to DBHD as chrome is to firefox, lol. i was having issues with the zoom buttons getting in the way on top of it being a memory hog, so i uninstalled and switched back.

Sorry I'm not getting the comparison of Chrome to Firefox ... so is Dolphin Mini a good browser or better/worse then Dolphin HD/stock browser?

I'm using it but haven't used Dolphin HD.

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
i would say it's definitely better than the stock browser, but being better than dolphin HD is relative. HD can be a bit laggy every once in a while (like firefox, if you have enough going on in it), but dolphin mini is small, fast, and always snappy (like chrome). i like that you can apply themes to HD, but it's too taxing on my phone for me to be really satisfied with it. they both have all the same features, other than the themes and plugins. i can live with that, though. if you've overclocked your optimus and you feel a little curious, go ahead and try dolphin HD if you want. it's just a shinier version of mini, but like i said, the plugins are nice.
i'mma shut up now, lol. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38