LG Optimus S (LS670) Maintenance Release 2/7/11

SethTP

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was not using root and have no immediate plans to root.
However i have noticed several things after applying the LS670ZVC update.
1st. Home Button did nothing but turn on the screen. (Fixed with reboot)
2nd. Visual voice mail says something about Voicemail-to-Text and when launched tries to send a Activation message that does not deliver. Error V503.
3rd. Several icons on screens were missing. (easily fixed)
4th. Some sprint widget help was reinstalled and appeared afterboot.
5th. TalkBack, SoundBack and KickBack were all updated. (They used to appear as outdated under AppBrain)
6th. Battery seems to drain faster not sure why.
Looking for more.
Does anyone notice anything else?

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
ok looks like z4root isn't working on new update. about to test hotspot widget -- looks like hotspot widget is still working. edited this post via hotspot widget.

yes that is a good reminder. DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL ROOT IS CONFIRMED. i went into this knowing this well.

however it does not seem to have touched recovery. CWM recovery is still installed and working.

edit: ok tried to root the hard way, when i try to push anything to /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage i get premission denied.

Damn dude, you're a champ...thanks.

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
2nd. Visual voice mail says something about Voicemail-to-Text and when launched tries to send a Activation message that does not deliver. Error V503.
5th. TalkBack, SoundBack and KickBack were all updated. (They used to appear as outdated under AppBrain)
Looking for more.

I was rooted, and updated to VC the "hard way", so I am still rooted. Can't say I'm seeing what you are, but I doubt it is the method of updating. May have to do with ability to clean the caches, etc. that rooting allows.

jmdeng

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ack! I used the LG update tool to update.

But now my contacts and Call log have cleared!

I do have a bunch of VCF files store in a directory from when I BT'ed everything from my old phone.

Is there a way to restore what I lost, and if not, is there a way to restore from those VCF files?

Thanks

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Ack! I used the LG update tool to update.

But now my contacts and Call log have cleared!

I do have a bunch of VCF files store in a directory from when I BT'ed everything from my old phone.

Is there a way to restore what I lost, and if not, is there a way to restore from those VCF files?

Thanks

Your contacts should be updated via Google mail once you sign in. I think your call log is lost unless you used another backup program like myBackup.

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If you read the rest of the thread you would have seen that while he could force flash the update he could still not root with rageagainstthecage.

Yes, that was right after he discovered it flashed back to V9 but before discovering it did not restore the V9 recovery. So the work continues, drawing ever nearer the prize (we hope).

jmdeng

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Your contacts should be updated via Google mail once you sign in. I think your call log is lost unless you used another backup program like myBackup if you were rooted before.

Oh, that's no good. I turned off Contact sync when I got my phone so that Google wouldn't overwrite my BT transfer of my contacts. I also didn't really want my phone numbers in my gmail. Looks like I've been wiped clean. =(

Is there a way to extract my VCF files on the SD card into the phone?

Thanks

Edit: Ah, I went onto the market and found a vcard reader.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you read the rest of the thread you would have seen that while he could force flash the update he could still not root with rageagainstthecage.
Actually what he couldn't do was get root *from the recovery partition* after doing the LG Update VC upgrade.

I'm pretty confident if he just force flashed V9 only (without subsequently applying LG Update VC) and did rage after the phone booted he would have been rooted.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Looking for more.

Not rooted here either, and updated using the LG tool. After the update, Beautiful Widgets seemed to simply disappear, as did the Market. Tried several times to reboot, pull battery, and nothing helped. Finally I did a factory reset and now all is well. I haven't noticed worse battery life, but the screen does seem noticeably more responsive. Also, my Linpack score went from an average 3.5-ish to the high 7s low 8s, for what that's worth.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
While it's a pain, down grade to v9, root with z4,root. Flash the recovery from the "go back to stock" thread, unroot, and update using the lg update tool, then root from recovery.

(having root isn't quite a easy, but still achievable)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

SethTP

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Not rooted here either, and updated using the LG tool. After the update, Beautiful Widgets seemed to simply disappear, as did the Market. Tried several times to reboot, pull battery, and nothing helped. Finally I did a factory reset and now all is well. I haven't noticed worse battery life, but the screen does seem noticeably more responsive. Also, my Linpack score went from an average 3.5-ish to the high 7s low 8s, for what that's worth.

I could not get the LG tool to detect my phone even after install of the USB drivers. Win7 64.
Also when closing the tool it would crash.
So i applied the OTA update. Maybe a bad idea. :-\

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I could not get the LG tool to detect my phone even after install of the USB drivers. Win7 64.
Also when closing the tool it would crash.
So i applied the OTA update. Maybe a bad idea. :-\

Did you turn on debugging mode? That has to be on or the lg tool won't see your phone...

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

zcostilla

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I waited a couple days to get the update, just to see what all of the people here who are smarter than me said about it. I updated using the PC download tool from LG support site. It loaded the update fine, and the phone rebooted as part of the update. However, I rebooted one more time, and the "LG" screen came up and won't move forward from there. I had to go to the Sprint store to see what they could do and they wiped and reloaded everything stock to my phone with the new VC updated version, so I've been reloading everything for the last two hours.

As a note, I had rooted back in V9 using but had unrooted the phone prior to updating.

Not looking for help right now. Just passing on the info to the people here who are keeping track and working mods and ROMs and stuff.

Dyke67ny

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the recent LG Optimus S firmware update closes the hole for the free tethering?

If so, how would I go about disabling the update message I continue to receive?

Thanks!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The hotspot still works after the VC OTA update. Only root is disabled.

If you want to root, then you should get the VC update using the LG Software Updater tool.

Reactions: Dyke67ny

Dyke67ny

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Rooted

The phone in question is already rooted.

Do I need to unroot it for the update as it attempted to update once before but failed showing the yellow exclamation point.
Thanks again

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I restored my Optimus S, which had been rooted and had Xionia kernel on it, back to stock using the procedure here.

I then installed V9 and then took the OTA update. It worked at first, but ever time I restarted the phone, it would hang at the initial LG screen. The only way to get it to go past it was to do a hard reset EACH TIME.

Sprint gave me a new phone today, which came with V9. The sales guy did the OTA before handing me the phone, and everything seems okay EXCEPT wifi.

I was unable to connect to the Sprint store's wifi. The repair guy said "yes, it's flaky sometimes". But now I'm home and cannot connect to my home wifi, which is WEP. It keeps saying "Obtaining IP address" but never actually connects.

Has anyone else encountered this? Did you fix it, or do I need to go back to the Sprint store yet again?

Also, Quadrant gives me 462. How did someone get 100 higher? Was that real?