Tips for Nova Launcher?

anon(9803818)

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I just got Nova Launcher Prime (it's on sale for $1 rn for those interested) after seeing the immense amount of praise it receives. I've already begun to change settings to optimize the experience for a Google Now Launcher user such as myself, but can anyone give me some tips? You know, features that give me my money's worth that aren't available on a Google Now Launcher. Much thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got Nova Launcher Prime (it's on sale for $1 rn for those interested) after seeing the immense amount of praise it receives. I've already begun to change settings to optimize the experience for a Google Now Launcher user such as myself, but can anyone give me some tips? You know, features that give me my money's worth that aren't available on a Google Now Launcher. Much thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Nova is full of interesting features that you will discover in no time. For me some of the most useful are:

- Swipe up actions. You can define two different actions for the same icon. For example, create direct dial widgets for your favorite contacts. Tap to call and swipe up to open their specific chat in, let's say, WhatsApp. Or open different accounts from the same Gmail icon. Endless possibilities. This also applies for folders on your home screen.

- Gestures. Use them to open apps, settings, expand the notification bar, screen off, etc.

- Nova Activities. Get access to almost anything in your phone. Explore this feature, it's amazing.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Could you tell me how to do this? I have 2 Gmail accounts and this would be awesome. Thanks.

Here you go :)

First create a widget for account A. Long press on the home screen - widgets - scroll down until you find Gmail - long press on Gmail label and drag it to the screen. Choose account - choose label (primary maybe) - Done.

Now set the swipe up action for account B. Long press on the widget icon you just created - edit - tap on the swipe up arrow - shortcuts - Gmail label - choose account - choose label - done - done.

Now you can change the widget icon to whatever you want or leave it as it is.

Tell me how it goes or if you need any help with the process.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Awesomeness. Thanks! That works pretty slick. Swipe up to go to my one account or just tap it to go to my main account. Nice :)

Glad they were having that sale on Nova Prime the other day. I bought it and have been playing around with all the regular and unlocked features. Now that you taught me about the swipe actions it makes me wonder what other cool things are buried in this launcher. Someone should post a how-to on all the features in Nova Prime.

And I just bought that Urmun icon pack. Looks sweet!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Glad it helped! Yeah, plenty of different things to play with. As I said before, take a look at Nova Activities. It looks a bit cryptic the first time but lots of options in there.

I'll have some free time at the end of the month and I'll try to create a thread with different tips for Nova. I'll let you know.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
So there's no notification bar with Wi-fi and Data? That's strange, because the launcher I was using before Nova (KK Launcher) had a nice notification bar with those icons on it. Seems weird Nova Prime wouldn't have anything like that.

Or do they?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are not many options in Nova to custom the notification bar. You can hide it, make it transparent and use dark icons. I hide it and use gestures to expand the shade or open the quick settings.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
There are not many options in Nova to custom the notification bar. You can hide it, make it transparent and use dark icons. I hide it and use gestures to expand the shade or open the quick settings.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you said. As far as I can tell there is no notification bar to hide, make transparent, etc. Quick Settings? Dark shade? I have no idea where the quick settings are.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the screenshots. I have the notification toggle on, but I don't see the actual notification bar anywhere. I'm still unsure where quick settings are ?

The gestures are pretty handy. Thanks for sharing those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty