V20 16MP Camera

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen photos taken with the device? That's so cool! Did you see them on a website, on the forums, or elsewhere?

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Is the 16mp camera the same as on the V10 and G5? If so, the pre-production pix I've seen from reviewers on YouTube are showing that while ok, they don't stand up well vs the S7 and would be a dealbreaker for me if so. I'm hoping the V20 has an updated camera and the pre-production wasn't the final software as I like what I see from this phone, but if the camera isn't great, I won't get it.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The camera is essentially the same as the G5. And if you're talking the 16mp primary, not only is it the same as the G5 but it's also the same as the V10 and G4. LG has been using basically the same camera sensor for almost 2 years now.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If the camera is really that important to you, I'd suggest trying it hands on yourself. Of all the negatives I've seen in the reviews, it's mostly subjective and easily compensated for in manual mode or so minor that you have to zoom in to the pixel level to tell any difference. All modern flagship phones have great cameras and software and the differences are very minor.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If the camera is really that important to you, I'd suggest trying it hands on yourself. Of all the negatives I've seen in the reviews, it's mostly subjective and easily compensated for in manual mode or so minor that you have to zoom in to the pixel level to tell any difference. All modern flagship phones have great cameras and software and the differences are very minor.

I went to 3 carrier stores this weekend in hopes of seeing a demo unit for this phone since pre-orders have begun, but no one did. I'm trying to hold out til it's officially out to see some reviews with the final model as well as check it out myself for sure, but I gotta get rid of this Note 7 soon since I have to travel and it's going to be an issue. I'm hoping the camera is a little better than what I've seen in reviews as I like everything else about the V20.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
FWIW ... DxOMark, referenced in the Pixel launch, gave the following scores:

Pixel
Overall: 89
Photo: 89
Video: 88

LG G5
Overall: 86
Photo: 88
Video: 82

From a purely photo taking perspective, there shouldn't be much to worry about with the V20.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The camera is essentially the same as the G5. And if you're talking the 16mp primary, not only is it the same as the G5 but it's also the same as the V10 and G4. LG has been using basically the same camera sensor for almost 2 years now.
The sensor on the V20 is different from previous LG phones. It uses a different Sony lens and has a 4:3 native aspect ratio instead of 16:9. Also LG has gone to some lengths to add a third phase of autofocus detection to the V20 and the image stabilization is a nice leap ahead of the G4, G5, and V10 which had the wobbly effect. We'll have to wait until the detailed specs are released but it is a different Sony image sensor used for the V20. Also the only thing that separates the V20 from Samsung or the iPhone 7 is the auto imaging algorithms which means while the V20 will win some scenarios as proven by Android Central's blind camera test with pre-production software, in more settings Apple and Samsung's auto settings will be slightly better than LG's. Mostly in high dynamic range shots and certain low light scenes. With the manual mode, you can get shots noticeably better than in auto(if you know what you're doing/have the right set up). And the gap at the top of the pack in terms of image quality is not that wide anyway and unless you're going around comparing your photos to some stranger's or a friend, you won't be disappointed with the quality anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38