make backups w/o custom recovery?

garbb

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Since it seems that no one has figured out how to make a custom recovery for this phone with ICS yet (or will ever), does anyone know if I could simply do the following to make backups of my viper:

to backup:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p29 of=/sdcard/data.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27 of=/sdcard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot.img

to restore:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p29
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8

I have already tried this with recovery:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
and then
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
and recovery booted OK, so I am assuming that there is no reason why all the above commands wouldn't work. Is there any potential problem with this before I go and brick something?

I also noticed that the recovery image that I got form the phone was like 10mb larger than the one I originally flashed for some reason...not sure why, but when I flashed it back everything worked fine.

edit: hmm... it just occurred to me that you probably can't write to these partitions while android is running, can you?...hence the need for a recovery...

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Since it seems that no one has figured out how to make a custom recovery for this phone with ICS yet (or will ever), does anyone know if I could simply do the following to make backups of my viper:

to backup:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p29 of=/sdcard/data.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27 of=/sdcard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot.img

to restore:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p29
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8

I have already tried this with recovery:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
and then
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
and recovery booted OK, so I am assuming that there is no reason why all the above commands wouldn't work. Is there any potential problem with this before I go and brick something?

I also noticed that the recovery image that I got form the phone was like 10mb larger than the one I originally flashed for some reason...not sure why, but when I flashed it back everything worked fine.

edit: hmm... it just occurred to me that you probably can't write to these partitions while android is running, can you?...hence the need for a recovery...

Yeah, the dd function is kinda already widely known. And this device is End-of-Life (EOL).