Considering Commando over HTC Incredible 2. Need opinions...

DanielR

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So the simple question I'm facing is Commando or HTC Incredible 2? I don't want to have something I have to constantly baby or leave in the car because of wet weather, but I also don't want an extremely slow phone that won't let me use popular, non-multimedia apps or many of the popular location / GPS apps out there.

My first concern I have about the Commando is regarding true durability and water resistance / waterproofness. With all the reports of people breaking their Commandos due to accidental drops or having the port covers fail, is it right to be worrying about this or are they simply isolated cases? It's not like it'll be taken swimming or taken under water deliberately, but I would very much like to take it sailing for GPS tracking purposes (mainly wet deck / board boats that sometimes capsize) and kayaking for the same reasons (which truly IS wet!). I would like to know that having a phone in my pocket when I'm out and rain comes is not going to be a problem.

My second and final concern is regarding speed / rooting / customizing / slimming down of software. I'm a professional photographer and as such will be using my Android phone as a portfolio in the same way I do my iPod touch, but otherwise I am not too concerned with multimedia use (oh and music / podcasts in the car). That aside, I a) want to root to get rid of bloatware, replace Bing with Google and install a wifi tethering app for very occasional use, and b) try out and use a multitude of apps that will make my life easier. I just don't want a device that is going to be so slow that it won't work with half the apps I want to use. Again, nothing fancy.

The ONLY reasons I would consider the Incredible over the Commando is that it's presumably faster and a little smaller and is probably easier to root. I could care less about the screen size or responsiveness or any of the other fancy features the Incredible has. Conversely the only reason I am considering the Commando is because it's durable and waterproof.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

kat89447#AC

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the dinc 2 and my hubby has the commando. He loves his commando because it is drop resistant and weather proof. He hunts and fishes and has always been rougher on his phones than I am. I love my dinc because it is more of a mainstream phone, I love sence. Only problems he has is that sometimes it takes time to delete emails especially if he is deleting multiple ones. Voice quality, screen quality streaming, browser are great. I think some things just work better with the Dinc like push email but that may have everything to do with OS build. I will say that the commando is pretty sleak looking, I thought it might be clunky but it's not. All phones have quirks and some do things better than others, its just a matter of what you feel is acceptable. Both phones are great and battery life on both is similar. If you are rough on phones go with the commando, if you are not go with Dinc 2. Go to a store and play with both. Keyboards on both are great, but different. Play around and remember, you have 14 days to take one home and try.

oufootball53

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had my commando for about 3 months. So far I love it. As far as durability is concerned mine has been submerged multiple times and doesnt seem to be having any problems. I've dropped it a few times and its been put to some fairly intense heat and it doesnt show any signs of slowing down. As far as customizing it is concerned you might as well forget it. The farthest your most likely going to get with this phone is rooting. Theres no custom roms because there is no way to get to the recovery screen. It doesnt seem like a very popular device with the masses so I highly doubt anyone is going to crack it. But as far as a durable stock android phone is concerned you cant go wrong.

donlow

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
First, I love my Commando! Got first one 7-3-11, 2 days later speakerphone only, cant hear from earpiece. Sounded like loose wire. Verizon said to do a live battery pull for 2 minutes. Worked fine. Phone does restart all by itself numerous times a day. 11-5-11 same speaker problem, this time battery pull don't work. Verizon sends a "Like New" replacement. Really looked new, surprised me. This one still reboots 3-10 times a day. I love the durability hype. But if you cant hear, or it is rebooting, how durable is that? Accessories sucked, $49.95 for a docking cradle! I have been rough with it, still looks new. Thats my Commando experience.

paxchristos

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is a piece of cake for Commando (currently, next update might break rooting, tho.)
superoneclick roots it with no problems.

my wife has the phone and hasn't had any problems with it (and our 8 month old loves it as a chewtoy :p)

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk