Looking for a tablet but torn. Need help badly.

jmielke929

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I want to start by saying me and my wife have both have Galaxy S Phones (Mesmerize). I am very happy with interface and want to get a tablet. I listen to the Podcast every time and am not sure what to do. It sounds like the android central crew normally say that ipad is the way to go (I could be wrong). I want to get something with the following priorities...

1. Screen
2. Speed
3. Apps
4. Battery
5. Accessories

It sounds to me like the ipad 2 is a really good choice at the current time. I wants to spend around $300 - $600 on a tablet. I have my eye on the new galaxy tab 10.1. I am just not sure what to get. I love the amazon and android market. I am cheap person and don't buy a lot of apps. Not to say that I wont on a tablet.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I had that same choice and last week I bought the Asus Iconia Tab. You say your kind of cheap about apps so I would take a look at app costs if I were you. Android is known for having more free apps than ios in general, and ipad apps tend to be the most expensive of all.

tagacapiz

May 4, 2011
Visit site
suggest xoom. either 3g, which will be upgraded to 4g, or WiFi version.

micro SD also from an update, or already if you run a custom kernel, and micro USB (USB already if with otg cable)

screen is ok, although reviews say it's inferior. nonetheless, the xoom's build is solid.

it runs honeycomb. it's the flagship android tablet so updates land here first.

root-able, overclockable, twin cores up to 1.7GHz.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

SassyPenguin

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the Galaxy Tab 10.1

It has a beautiful PLS screen, which is superior technology than the IPS screen that the iPad2 and Asus Transformer. You can really see it in the vibrancy and viewing angle. Also, the aspect ratio is perfect.

There are lots of great free apps on Android.
These are the ones I have (all free):
1. SketchBookX. It's a great little drawing app, has lots of functionality, different brush sizes, every color, pressure sensitivity (augmented nicely with a rubber-tipped stylus), etc. It's pretty neat what you can draw on there. You can also import and export Jpegs.
2. Zinio magazine reader. Has pretty much every magazine you can think of. You can keep backlogs of older issues, buy one issue or a subscription. Works beautifully.
3. Quick Office. I think it's included, but it's a great document creator/editor.

Besides, there are also the other normal/cool Android apps like the Sky Map, Google Earth (which is beautiful on the Tab), Google+, etc.

The Tab runs smoothly and beautifully.

I have managed to use it for 9.5 hours on about 40% brightness setting watching movies and surfing the internet all day on Wi-Fi, and having Bluetooth on.

Google Talk is included, and work beautifully for chatting and webcamming- yes, it does webcamming! I haven't tried Skype yet, but Google Talk is free, and it works nicely. You can also switch between the front and back cameras, which is actually pretty handy for showing off say, a flower garden in your backyard. lol.

As for accessories, Samsung and Belkin both have really slick and nice cases that double as stands. The Samsung one is more expensive but it's leather, and looks very slick.

Samsung also has a USB adapter which lets the Tab take advantage of Honeycomb's USB Host Device capabilities. It also has an HDMI-out adapter, so that you can actually put out to a TV or whatever. Unlikely, but still able to do so. Though these adapters are extra money, it keeps the Tab very slim and light (slimmer and lighter than the iPad), but still enables those who want that functionality to be able to have it.

My two cents. Good luck, and enjoy! :p Feel free to message me if you have any more questions about my Tab 10.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo